Author Topic: Good Prefab Electronic Toy for Learning C+?  (Read 5228 times)

Roy Batty

Good Prefab Electronic Toy for Learning C+?
« on: May 12, 2017, 04:02:20 pm »
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:22:53 pm by Roy Batty »

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Good Prefab Electronic Toy for Learning C+?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 08:35:04 pm »
Why not arduino, its basically C

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 11:24:38 pm »
If C/Cpp is your main focus than why not just programming projects?
If you don't want to stray from the hardware side go for some ARM MCU, there are some nice dev boards out there, use something like Keil (32kb size limit enough to play with) and fiddle with registers and stuff, not relying on plug and play libraries as you probably did with Arduino.

Not sure how you consider just an Arduino inferior to a robot for learning C. Complexity of projects with Arduino is totally upon youself.
I see a robot as an advantage only if you want to experiment with more advanced control algorithms (e.g. nonlinear control ...) but C has very little to do there.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 11:55:19 pm »
If C/Cpp is your main focus than why not just programming projects?
If you don't want to stray from the hardware side go for some ARM MCU, there are some nice dev boards out there, use something like Keil (32kb size limit enough to play with) and fiddle with registers and stuff, not relying on plug and play libraries as you probably did with Arduino.

Not sure how you consider just an Arduino inferior to a robot for learning C. Complexity of projects with Arduino is totally upon youself.
I see a robot as an advantage only if you want to experiment with more advanced control algorithms (e.g. nonlinear control ...) but C has very little to do there.

I assume the OP wants something more interesting to get started with than just a bare arduino board.

Check these kits out:
https://www.pololu.com/category/2/robot-kits

And these controllers come with built in motor drivers for small motors so are easy to get started with:
https://www.pololu.com/product/1302

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 10:58:25 pm »
OpenCV running on a RaspberryPi is a pretty interesting swiss army knife of a tool for doing machine vision stuff that has hooks to C++ and Python and ...

You can use the RPIs GPIOs and SPI and i2c to talk to hardware of all kinds. Its extremely popular so there are literally TONS of ready to go projects out there with code - Just use a real (external USB) hard drive for compiles so you dont thrash the flash disk. You need to install build-essential for compilers.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 11:03:20 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline kjh83

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:40:52 pm »
This seems to check all your boxes except for being a kit, but it does have a link to all the parts:

The video camera setup is optional.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf