Author Topic: Loochi - the open source connected lamp  (Read 4238 times)

Offline sarfataTopic starter

• Contributor
Loochi - the open source connected lamp
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:01:19 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have been working for a while on an open-source connected lamp. It is available today on www.getloochi.com (crowdfunding).

Loochi is based on a 10W RGB led from Ledengin. The current control is done through an AtTiny861 micro-controller with the very fast PWM (64Mhz resolution / 250kHz). The lamp is controlled from an iPhone or iPad through a Bluetooth Low Energy module which has the huge advantage of requiring absolutely no configuration.

The Bluetooth module simply transmits the commands it receives over an SPI bus to the ATTiny who controls the LED. The most basic command is three bytes to control Red, Green and Blue.

The electronic is open-source, and so is the software and the plastic design. Loochi is a great way to experiment with connected objects, Bluetooth Low Energy and high-power RGB leds.
You can find the source on github.com/tbideas and some instructions on our blog (tbideas.com/blog). All the basic elements are there but we still need to write more doc. In the meantime, if you are have any questions, or if you would like to know more on any subject, please let me know!

If you do not want to  build your own, we are launching a crowdfunding campaign to build ~750 of those. It is on indiegogo: www.getloochi.com. You will get the shade, the base (injection-molded), the PCB and a heatsink, all fitted together and ready for you to hack away! You could for example easily replace the electronic to use another communication protocol - or design a different shade and 3d-print it.

I would like to give a big thank you to Dave, Chris Gammell and the entire eevblog community. This project would have never been possible without the help and motivation we found in this forum, the youtube channel and the amp hour every week!

Please - do give feedback!

cheers!
thomas

HLA-27b

Re: Loochi - the open source connected lamp
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:27:28 pm »
Looks really nice. Would make an excellent present.

Offline sarfataTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Loochi - the open source connected lamp
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01:13 pm »
Hi!

I have posted a complete description of the project, how it works, how to assemble your own on the Elektor Labs website:
http://www.elektor-projects.com/project/loochi-a-bluetooth-low-energy-connected-lamp.13128.html

Topics covered:
 * Software (avr) buck converter for current regulation
 * 10W RGB LEDs soldering
 * Bluetooth Low Energy with the Bluegiga BLE112 module
 * And more!

Let me know what you think! Ideas for improvement are most welcomed!

cheers,
thomas

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf