Author Topic: Looking for a SBC good for custom design  (Read 8506 times)

Offline robotix3Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Looking for a SBC good for custom design
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:09:45 pm »
I'm looking for a good single board computer (running linux) that I can easily integrate into a custom design. I've been wanting to design my own for a while, and rather than start from scratch, I would like to use pre-existing software and hardware design. I really need something with a ton of documentation on getting everything up and running (mainly with the OS part).

I really like the UDOO Neo but I can not find any documentation on designing/initial bring-up with your own (but there are schematics).

And there is obviously the beaglebones, but it seems like TI doesn't want people to build there own (not much documentation on the hardware side, I could be wrong)

My only hardware requirement is that it has a >800MHz processor. My use-case is most likely a custom quadcopter design.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:13:39 pm by robotix3 »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for a SBC good for custom design
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:16:21 pm »
How about the Raspberry Pi or various derivatives and clones? Huge amount of support out there, hard to get much cheaper.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:42:22 pm »
The Raspberry Pi isn't open hardware

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:52:19 pm »
I didn't see a requirement that it be open hardware, that does limit the choices somewhat.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:11:17 pm »
Well you can't even buy the Raspberry Pi processor, it's only available in large volumes, even the datasheet is unavailable.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:41:56 pm »
So after looking for a bit, it seems the beaglebone black is actually a good candidate for what I want to do.

Online kaevee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 02:51:59 pm »
Checkout OpenRex.

http://www.imx6rex.com/open-rex/

This project is completely open source and one can download all documents, including Schematic and PCB.

One can buy BoM in retail quantities. But, cost would be no match to Raspberry pi or clones.

Venkat

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 03:10:53 pm »
Olimex. Open source SBCs using various Allwinner ARM-based processors.

Offline sanwal209

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 07:38:10 pm »
I

Offline sanwal209

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 07:39:24 pm »
I am going to make SBC as a gateway for my open source project (http://www.linuxiot.org). Feel free to add ur suggestion for SBC

Offline chrisalbertson

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 06:47:33 am »
....seems the beaglebone black is actually a good candidate for what I want to do.

Yes, they are cheap and small, not as powerful the Pi3 but one huge advantage of the BBB is that the ARM processor they use has two "PRUs" on-chip.  These are small micro controllers that have direct access to IO pins.  You can use them for any "hard realtime" tasks such as a control loop that have to run at a constant rate.   This kind of real time scheduling is hard or impossible under Linux even with a real-time kernel.   As an example the MachineKit project has a way use the PRUs for servo motor control for things like CNC milling machines.

I thought of using BBB on my robot project but opted for the Raspberry Pi 3 to run Linux and a generic  ARM Cortex M for the real-time stuff.   I just needed much more compute power than the BBB has.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 07:41:29 pm »
Checkout OpenRex.
Way too overkill for my application, but will check it out in the future.

I forgot they existed, good source for designs actually...but the beaglebone has a giant community

I am going to make SBC as a gateway for my open source project (http://www.linuxiot.org). Feel free to add ur suggestion for SBC
That's an interesting project

Yes, they are cheap and small, not as powerful the Pi3 but one huge advantage of the BBB is that the ARM processor they use has two "PRUs" on-chip.  These are small micro controllers that have direct access to IO pins.  You can use them for any "hard realtime" tasks such as a control loop that have to run at a constant rate.   This kind of real time scheduling is hard or impossible under Linux even with a real-time kernel.   As an example the MachineKit project has a way use the PRUs for servo motor control for things like CNC milling machines.

I thought of using BBB on my robot project but opted for the Raspberry Pi 3 to run Linux and a generic  ARM Cortex M for the real-time stuff.   I just needed much more compute power than the BBB has.

In my quad I am using separate ARM microcontroller for the real-time stuff anyways, the Linux machine will be used for GPS way-point navigation, maybe wifi, openCV, etc.

Online jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 09:24:49 pm »
I've done several projects using the Beagle Bone Black, with good success.  The PRU units in the Bone are amazing, a pair of 200 MHz 32-bit microcontrollers with direct access to GPIO pins, and shared memory interface to the ARM CPU.  Ethernet, USB host and target and a few other things.  There are also variants aimed at vehicle projects.  I have used it in  ground-powered applications, but it is pretty low power, something like 300 mA at 5 V.

I started using the earlier Beagle Board to control devices remotely, and have now switched over to using the Bone as the original Board is no longer made.  I could have used lesser-performing processors in these devices, but the ease of programming network servers in Linux made this a great choice.

Jon

Offline veryevil

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 07:25:47 am »
If you could get away with less than 800MHz then I highly recommend these guys.

https://www.acmesystems.it/

Offline dave_k

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 11:08:56 am »
If you could get away with less than 800MHz then I highly recommend these guys.

https://www.acmesystems.it/

.. or the yum-cha clone of the Aria
http://armdevs.com/core9g25.html

Offline RoadRunner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 04:06:36 pm »

i have made allwinner A13 based board for my self.

whole story how i made my own linux SBC is here ,
http://www.circuitvalley.com/2015/11/homemade-arm-board-running-linux-with.html

i can tell you few things.
if you need upto 10 boards , go for any readymade board.
if you need upto hundred boards it is better to go with DIMM style board with CPU from known manufacturer "not china" .
because there are few challenges in the PCB itself. you need minimum 6 layers impedance control ,very fine pitch for any descent CPU. PCB and Component assembly cost will be too dam high for small quantity .

Offline cstratton

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 03:25:14 am »
My use-case is most likely a custom quadcopter design.

Flying a quadcopter is a task for a Cortex M0, maybe an M4 if you want to be inefficient about it.

So hopefully you're talking more about a mission computer - where to go, what to look at, what it means, and what to do as a result.

You don't really want to use an overly "powerful" computer for basic flight control, as it becomes more challenging to achieve hard realtime, and the complexity makes it harder to get deterministic results - even if you decide you're going to dedicate a less powerful on-chip core to these tasks, the sheer number of interlocking parts to understand and debug puts you at a disadvantage compared to using a simple stand-alone flash-based MCU to "fly" and enforce sanity, and your phone/tablet class SoC to "think" and tell it where to go.

Offline cezar

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 09:12:51 am »
Beaglebone seems to be the right choice for your purpose. Many people are using  PRUs (32bit microcontrollers inside AM33XX) to perform realtime tasks such as controlling motors or interacting with radio, sensors, etc.
I find Bealglebone much more reliable than RPis, allwinners and all Chinese Orange, Banana and other Pis.
I've been using BBB in my little project (Underfloor heating controller) for last couple years with no issues. I know - it's not that advanced as flight controller but it does the job.
https://easyeda.com/csiwek/Beaglebone_black_based_heating_controller-kvpjBTb5n

c.

Offline me.rishabh12

• Contributor
    • innovating future-lets create something new
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 07:37:37 pm »
u can go for a toradex SBC it is very good boar runs linux and has a great support.
easy toput it into a custom design as its very modular and connect via a ddr2 socket
pls check https://www.toradex.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf