Author Topic: MAX4239 offset  (Read 4897 times)

Offline ArticCyndaTopic starter

MAX4239 offset
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:44:31 pm »
Hi everyone,

Due to its unavailability a while ago I've built my own µCurrent for measuring very low power microcontroller power consumption. The µCurrent is an open source design, and I sourced all parts from Digikey because the order codes are also made available in the BOM.

The only part I didn't source from DigiKey are the MAX4239 opamps because they weren't (and still aren't) available in SOT23-6 package. So instead I ordered them from AliExpress (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-MAX4239AUT-T-IC-AMP-PREC-LDRIFT-LN-SOT23-6-best-pirce-IC-supply-chain/1992017520.html). After assembling the µCurrent it shows a significant offset of -700 mV at the outputs when the current inputs are shorted.

When tested on a breakout board, the amplifier does behave as one would expect from an opamp, except that the output voltage is 28 mV when both inputs are grounded. For a low offset, low drift opamp I find this on the high side since this offset is also amplified by the second stage, thus resulting in a cumulative error.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this behavior? I don't have much experience with correcting opamp offsets, but the design doesn't include any compensation circuitry nor does the opamp provide offset compensation inputs. How do I get rid of this offset? Could it be that I have been scammed and sold inferior opamps in an identical package?

Thanks in advance!

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: MAX4239 offset
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:49:05 pm »
It could be fake IC or they just sent you a different part. Check if the marking match the datasheet.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:38:17 am »
The top marking read "ABAA" which is consistent with the datasheet. Is it possible I'm dealing with a lower quality opamp that got relabeled as "ABAA"?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 02:49:23 pm »
The top marking read "ABAA" which is consistent with the datasheet. Is it possible I'm dealing with a lower quality opamp that got relabeled as "ABAA"?
Probably, but read the next post. If you buy some expensive opamp from China for relatively cheap, you will get a fake more often than a real deal. If you didn't confirm goods received yet, open a dispute on Aliexpress.
http://zeptobars.ru/en/read/OPA627-AD744-real-vs-fake-china-ebay
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:58:07 pm by wraper »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:57:43 pm »
When tested on a breakout board, the amplifier does behave as one would expect from an opamp, except that the output voltage is 28 mV when both inputs are grounded. For a low offset, low drift opamp I find this on the high side since this offset is also amplified by the second stage, thus resulting in a cumulative error.
BTW, I reread this now. This is not proper way how to test opamp. To measure input offset, you need to ground non-inverting input and connect inverting input to the feedback loop (2 resistors) to set gain. If you connect both inputs to the GND, basically you will have infinite gain.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 05:13:14 pm »
The non-inverting input should be connected to ground with a resistor, with a resistance equal to both feedback resistors in parallel. This cancels out the bias currents.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 10:01:05 pm »
I measured again following Dave's recommendations on measuring opamp offsets, and I always end up with offsets between -400 mV and 360 mV with a 101x amplification. This is still way out of range for this opamp type.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf