Author Topic: Open/Source Hardware + Blockchain?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline ToeJamTopic starter

• Contributor
Open/Source Hardware + Blockchain?
« on: September 09, 2016, 09:28:35 pm »
Hi all;
I don't post here often, so forgive me if I'm breaking any rules.

In response to Dave's recent video about the problems with Open/Source Hardware, and what he posits there, I thought that the blockchain technology behind bitcoins could help here.

There are a few projects being set up to make 'Virtual Nations' where marriages, contracts, land registry and other events are being recorded. Ethereum is one, NXT and Ardour is another. Project Douglas attempts to provide a framework for a system of your own. So far as I know none deal directly with OSHW, patents, copyright or trademark.
Would it be possible to create some version where the aspects of hardware are recorded? I'm behind the curve on blockchain, but have heard a lot about the possibilities.

Example:
A person with a product creates a new entry in the blockchain, and associates with it the aspects which are protected, partly protected, open, and those that are freely available. A new version of a single board computer might be able to release the PCB as freely available, but restrict some aspect of the firmware.
An additional aspect would be the ability to associate licenses with the product, producers and consumers.

It might seem like this is the bureaucracy that we are trying to avoid, but it is a de-centralised system, where the designer makes the choices, outside of the governments.
This is similar to patents, copyrights and trademarks.
Could those be replaced with this system also?

What to call the system?
As a long-time user of GNU/Linux, I'd like to pay homage to Richard Stallman for his simple, yet revolutionary idea of freedom in software, possibly by calling it 'RMSBits' or something similar.
But I think I'll need to seek permission for that.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf