Author Topic: Keyless Motorcycle Ignition  (Read 3641 times)

Offline haightechTopic starter

Keyless Motorcycle Ignition
« on: May 14, 2019, 09:50:06 pm »
Hi EEVBlog,
I've been working on a keyless motorcycle ignition for a couple years, and decided to release my latest iteration as an open source project. It is controlled by a smartphone app over BLE, and an extra layer of encryption/authentication is used to make up for some BLE vulnerabilities. There are a few other wireless ignition projects that I've seen, but I think mine is the first to use the stock ignition housing & wiring connector which makes for a very clean installation. This version disables the key switch (and the lock mechanism can be replaced with a 19mm button), but the next version will sense the position of the key with a potentiometer and the key will be able to override commands received over bluetooth.

I have a working prototype installed on my own motorcycle, and most of the planned features have been implemented. The smartphone app uses the Ionic framework and fully supports Android, and iOS support is nearly done (but stalled because I don't have an Apple device to test on). Battery usage is acceptable (~15%/day on my Galaxy S9), even with a proximity feature that automatically unlocks the ignition, and could be further reduced with geolocation or activity recognition. The hardware is controlled with a BGM111 module, but I'm planning on switching to an nRF51824 because it is cheaper, automotive grade, and is fully supported by OSS toolchains. I've been working on adding some documentation but it's still pretty sparse.

This is my first big project that I'm releasing open source, and feedback is greatly appreciated.

https://github.com/mcign

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, all motorcycle ignition housings obviously aren't exactly the same, but most street bikes (ie. not dirt or race oriented, but includes race "inspired" models [YFZ-R6, KLX-250, etc]) have very similar housings that my design supports. I'm also working on a PCB design that will support most race bikes (eg. R6, CBR600RR, etc).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:05:06 pm by haightech »

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
Re: Keyless Motorcycle Ignition
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:34:51 pm »
You may want to add your project to https://www.f-droid.org/ to reach more potential customers.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 12:52:51 pm »
I intend to do something similar to work with my NFC implant. The trickiest bit would be to get the steering lock working. Have you got any details of the physical design?

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 08:51:54 pm »
How do you make absolutely sure that no matter what happens it won't shut it off unless the operator purposefully does it?

Offline Acecool

• Regular Contributor
  • -Acecool
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 09:09:57 am »
I'm considering doing this to mine... Although I am thinking of using a Nissan, or similar, keyfob - then detect that the key is on the person riding the bike to be able to start it - button start / stop with limit on how long ignition / starter can try with automatic lockout if in gear. Lock / Unlock for the steering lock, maybe an brake disc lock, and truck to pop the seat. All of these features wouldn't be overly difficult to implement or code, properly.

I would be interested in seeing how you've done it. I'm only in the design phase, and have been for quite a long time ( injury from car accident which left me internally decapitated and a broken back... I wasn't on a motorcycle either - in a car, slow speed by instant stop == 100% of all energy went through me because of no crumple and my framerail hitting their axle, going through the axle with no crumple, then to a CURB where the other wheel was directly against. perfect storm for injury - I'm still fighting it and still trying to get benefits from the state since 2012, happened in 2011, when I knew my life was over ).

I would love to continue my project in person - right now it's been mostly limited to my mind. This would definitely be a fun project to be able to create. I'm also designing an ABS for bikes that don't come with it; have been thinking of it since someone did a test on a bicycle and didn't code everything they could've to make it work better. A lot of people over complicate things involving code when they don't have to and either end up missing the mark, making more work for themselves and getting it or not, or they overcomplicate the entire thing and don't fall back to basics causing them to miss the obvious.

@Tomorokoshi: When people hear about some feature being coded, etc.. they jump to conclusions. The truth is, code / programs aren't 'smart'. It depends entirely on the programmer. The bike won't shut off automatically unless the developer tells the bike to shut off by cutting power to the ON Relay set up for the replacement ignition block. Of course, the relay could fail, and other things could happen - but in code, there is very little chance the dev got something wrong to cause it to shut off.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:13:02 am by Acecool »
Just because it works, doesn't make it right -Josh 'Acecool' Moser

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf