Author Topic: Where can I post my projects.  (Read 8552 times)

Offline mbTopic starter

Where can I post my projects.
« on: September 30, 2016, 06:38:51 am »
Hi.

I want to post my projects on the web for people to see, and for me to direct others to this site. Its mainly electronic projects that I've finished and are running. So I guess I want a site that will let me upload my information about my projects. Where is the best place to do this. I dont know how to build web apps, so I want something easy to set up, write some text and upload some photos. Has anyone got a good site in mind.

Martin

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Re: Where can I post my projects.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 06:42:22 am »

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc

Offline pix3l

• Regular Contributor
  • Let's pix3l8e
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 07:39:58 am »
Simple wordpress website?

Offline pix3l

• Regular Contributor
  • Let's pix3l8e
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 07:42:09 am »
-https://hackaday.io/projects
-https://www.hackster.io
-http://www.instructables.com

just some ideas...

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:29:03 am »
- At the beginning, I used an electronics forum (a local one, not in english) to post my projects. After a while, the forum owner deleted all the attachments (it was not his fault), so all the pictures and files has gone. The text is still there, but useless without attachments.
- Then, I start using https://hackaday.io/. Hackaday is a nice place to publish electronics projects, and it also have a big community of makers, so your projects is seen by others.
- Recently, I started my own blog at https://wordpress.com/ . Wordpress is good because it let you make a local backup of your project, so you can be independent from other sites/blogs/forums. Also, if later you decide you want your own website, you can install wordpress and upload the projects you have saved from wordpress.com. To be more precise, wordpress.com is a site where the owner already installed the Wordpress platform for you. Wordpress is for all kind of blogs, not only for electronics, so you will not have a dedicated community, like you have on Eevlog or Hackaday. Also, posting a project on Wordpress is a little more complicated then posting a message on Eevblog, but not too much, it does not require to know web programming.

None of these have the look and feel of a blog, and you will probably miss the interactive discussions specific to forums.
There is a section here, on EEvblog, dedicated to projects: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/

Offline mbTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 06:01:32 am »
Thanks, so many to look into, I will start an account with each one and see which one I like.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 06:17:27 am »
+1 for hackaday

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 12:58:58 pm »
Github perhaps?

Offline xjordanx

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 11:33:25 pm »
+1 for CircuitMaker.

If your designs are in EAGLE or Altium 2012 or older you can import into CircuitMaker first.  The site is specifically geared to allow you to make each and every project a blog post describing it, adding the design files, photos, you can even embed video and other iFrames - we had one user embed his Autodesk fusion 360 enclosure design and you can twirl and interact with it on the project page.

Full disclosure: I work for Altium and I product manage CircuitMaker. But it would be wrong of me to not answer a legitimate question.

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc, dferyance

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 12:12:52 am »
Github perhaps?

+1 for github.

It supports documents with formatted text and images, provides access to the entire history of the project and allows users to fork and to contribute fixes.

As for getting attention to your projects, you can send pointers tips@hackaday.com or to forums such as this one.

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 09:12:58 pm »
+1 Github

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 10:25:34 pm »
+1 for CircuitMaker.

If your designs are in EAGLE or Altium 2012 or older you can import into CircuitMaker first.  The site is specifically geared to allow you to make each and every project a blog post describing it, adding the design files, photos, you can even embed video and other iFrames - we had one user embed his Autodesk fusion 360 enclosure design and you can twirl and interact with it on the project page.

Full disclosure: I work for Altium and I product manage CircuitMaker. But it would be wrong of me to not answer a legitimate question.

Can you provide more information on the import process?

I've tried it (during Beta testing) and my components didn't transfer over (just the pcb traces).

I wrote about it here:

http://ludzinc.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/a-simple-plan.html?m=1

If you can seamlessly import from Ad2012 I have a bunch of older work that I'd love to share in CM.

Oh

And on topic: +1 hack a day. Also Dangerous Prototypes. 

Offline xjordanx

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 09:28:44 pm »
Hi Ludzinc,

Your 2012 and earlier boards ought to come in properly... but if you would like some help translating newer ones I'd be glad to. Set up new projects, and make me a team member, and send me the PCBDocs I can save them out as CMPcbDocs.

EAGLE importer's had a lot of work done lately to make sure it's better. The normal process is:
  • Create a new project.
  • Open it from the workspace.
  • File ยป Import. Choose EAGLE from the filter list. Select the SCH and BRD files.
  • There will usually be a little bit of cleanup, though work is being done to eliminate it as much as possible.

There's some work being done for improving EAGLE compatibility right now actually so if you'd like to provide some files that did not work properly before for testing, that's be awesome.

Offline MickM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 03:43:25 am »
The guys at Dangerous Prototypes have a forum for project blogs:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=56&sid=a9906362961a8e4616ec6c602af955d6

I had quite a few there until my account was accidentally  deleted.
I signed up again but I never re-posted them.

Mick M.

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 04:52:13 pm »
+1 Github.  It's not just for code.  The only advantages I can see for something like hackaday are (1) the more focused community, and (2) built-in commenting.  Getting into the habit of using version control (e.g. git) for your project files is a worthy investment.

The best way to look at this is that the open-source software people sorted out the whole online-collaboration and sharing thing a long time ago.  Other hobbyist communities, like the ham radio folks, are stuck in the dark ages by comparison.  (Obviously this is a generalization--many exceptions do exist).

Oh, and -1e99 for any site which requires sign-up for viewing the content.  It's irritating beyond words to find a forum thread with exactly the information you're looking for, only to discover that you can't access any of the attachments without an account.  It must be a default setting in forum software, because I cannot for the life of me think of a valid reason for such a policy.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 05:50:16 pm »
It's irritating beyond words to find a forum thread with exactly the information you're looking for, only to discover that you can't access any of the attachments without an account.

For that, mailinator.com was crated ^-^

Offline hek

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 10:03:32 am »
I have build the community https://openhardware.io to give exposure to open source hardware projects.

But you still can keep the project source on github for easy version control (it syncs the relevant files for you).  Best of two worlds ;)

Offline elecman14

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 12:38:36 pm »
After seeing all the votes for Github, I would like to point out that it also can host a website to showcase your projects. Details here https://pages.github.com

Offline azerimaker

• Makerspace Azerbaijan
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 11:12:59 am »
Hi,

simple Wordpress or Blogspot blog would do the job. With Wordpress you can later go pro and upgrade it to a full website.
Otherwise
hackster.io
instructables.com
hackaday.io
are the best places.

Good luck.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf