Author Topic: Where do people hang out other than here?  (Read 5749 times)

Offline PDXjasonTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Works for Opal Kelly and Aligni
Where do people hang out other than here?
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:36:28 pm »
So, if I were wanting to find people who are into FPGA board design/use (especially open source), where would I go other than the EEVblog forum and EE-based subreddits?

I mean, does anyone visit places like EE Times, or EDN, or any of those websites?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:39:47 pm by PDXjason »

• Contributor
Re: Where do people hang out other than here?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 11:42:12 pm »
So, you go there to talk/read about FPGAs and/ open source hardware, or you are enrolled there?  It's a school, right?

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:43:13 pm »
Well, electronix.ru is a great resource, but you need to know Russian :)

EE Times and EDN are more of a SPAM sources than useful resources from my point of view.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: PDXjason

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 11:49:24 pm »
I checked out the electronix.ru link--I just ran it through Google Translate.  That's a big site!

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 11:58:35 pm »
I checked out the electronix.ru link--I just ran it through Google Translate.  That's a big site!
I'm not sure of the quality of translation, but it is better than nothing. As far as electronics-related forums go, it is one of the best ones I know. There are a lot of experienced people there.
Alex

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 03:59:40 pm »
Yeah, well, this is just my uneducated observation, but I'm not seeing EEs and other professionals in this field having the tendency to comment and engage as much as other folks in other interest areas.

Dave's forum and reddit seem to be "where it's at," in terms of readership on the internet.  I could be very well mistaken.

I just wasn't sure if those giant multi-title news media companies, like Aspencore, EDN, OSM, etc. are even popular as reading material by most folks in this industry.  They seem to have very low engagement in the comments and on social media.

As far as the open source community, do most people identify with OSHWA, or is there a better spot for talking/reading about OSHW?

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 06:10:08 pm »
Magazines like EDN aren't very useful anymore; the primary value nowadays is so you can tell if an engineer is good or not, based on whether they read it or not. ;)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: PDXjason

Offline Innovatia

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 12:56:03 am »
Two items:

1. Another OSHW endeavor (my own, with others), at www.innovatia.com
I have a Tektronix engineering background (portable 'scopes, TM500) and am trying to interest others in participating in the development of (mostly) already-designed (circuit diagrams, derivations available) OSHW for mainstream-performance bench instruments. Contact me through innovatia.com if interested, after looking at the projects there.

2. As for EDN /i]-type articles with any depth, I have been writing such articles for www.planetanalog.com and www.how2power.com I seem to have become the top article writer on both sites. Much of what I write is tutorial and about aspects of analog and power electronic design that seem to have been overlooked, though familiar and important. Take a look and give me some feedback. I am writing up much of my electronics research of the last few years in the form of books available at www.innovatia.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf