Author Topic: yet another clock - kit?  (Read 4320 times)

Offline djacobowTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
yet another clock - kit?
« on: October 14, 2014, 10:21:31 pm »
I built a simple clock using a 16x16 matrix of LEDs, 74HC595s, an Atmega328, and a DS1307. The numbers change through animations by which they "swoop" in when they change.

It also has a Conway's Game of Life mode, because you just have to do that sort of thing when you have a matrix of LEDs.

Anyway, I was thinking that maybe someone would like something like this as an SMD practice kit. You get to solder a moderate pitch QFP, some SOICs, and of course a lot of 0805s, and you get a clock out of it.

You think anybody would be interested in something like that? I know everyone and his brother has made a clock like this, but I thought this one came out pretty good. The "case" is just two pieces of acrylic sandwiching the board with M3 hardware.

If I were to kit it up I'd spend some time cleaning it up; more time on fonts, remove extraneous features from the board (Spark Core socket), yadda yadda. Might switch to bigger LEDs. I do want to try my hand at selling something on the interwebs, but don't want to get stuck with parts for 50 of these.

Oh, of course I'd open source the design, too.

-- dave j
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:28:44 pm by djacobow »

Offline Laurynas

• Contributor
Re: yet another clock - kit?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 01:50:18 pm »
While kit would be interesting, i think everyone has different design in their minds.
So i think it won't get many requests unless it's a very basic design at low price point.

The general open source schematic/software part may be a popular thing though.

Offline djacobowTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:04:03 pm »
Thanks. I may just post the schematic, gerbers, and code.

Offline dansku

• Regular Contributor
  • I make things
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 01:37:41 am »
Looking great!

Do you have a video of the clock working?!
Also this design would be perfect to build those clock that it lights up the text saying the clock.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf