Author Topic: 10K subs and 2019 projects  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
10K subs and 2019 projects
« on: December 30, 2018, 01:17:41 am »
I like to give a big thanks to Dave.
He is the number reason I got into YouTube blogging. 
Now four years later and 10L subscribers.
Thanks to everyone here on the EVVBlog site that has supported me.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: 10K subs and 2019 projects
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 04:54:48 pm »
Well done on the 10K subscribers Buddy, and it's all due to your hard work and your relaxed presentation style.

As for the contents of your latest video, having seen a shop tour I think that a halt in taking in repairs is a good thing because you appear to have piles of broken stuff. Given the time it takes to shoot and then prepare a video I think that it will be OK if you go offline for a week or three and just fix stuff, no videos, just get as much as possible out the door until you have space to move around. Then you can get back to having fun.

Finally, Happy New Year  :)
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 01:55:51 am »
Thank you for the comment my friend. It has been slow coming but we made it to 10k. Next, 100k.
I agree. It takes a while to repair and video it. Folks do not understand just how much goes into a 30 to 40 minute video.

Yes lots of stuff in the shop. Good thing is most is mine. Well 75% that is.

Happy New Year.

The following users thanked this post: Barryg41

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 01:56:50 am »
Nice work!

It's amazing when you think about it, uploading a video is the same as being on stage at a huge 10,000 seat concert venue.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:59:26 am by EEVblog »

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 11:04:37 pm »
Nice work!

It's amazing when you think about it, uploading a video is the same as being on stage at a huge 10,000 seat concert venue.

Thanks Dave!
   Remember, I owe it all to you. As I told you before you are the one single person that inspired me enough to start this.
I just used my own style, no scripts. Just turn the camera on and start talking about what ever I had on the bench.
Now 10 k subs later, I must be doing something right.  As  I get over 1k emails a week now.  And most of them are to thank me for doing what I do or telling me how I helped them in some kind of way.  It is really great. And since my videos are mostly RF related my audience is very small.

Yes I know what you mean now. To begin with I always had a bit of stage fright. I do believe I am over it now.

BTW, I have been recently invited to appear on a Ham Radio show on the Twit Network. Imagine that. :scared:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 11:26:15 pm »
I saw this thread and was going to add my congratulations as well, but I wanted to wait until the 10K mark had been achieved - something which happened pretty quickly...

So here I offer my hearty congratulations for having cracked the 10K and for having the moxy to get started in the first place.   :-+

The following users thanked this post: Barryg41, Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 01:18:43 am »
I saw this thread and was going to add my congratulations as well, but I wanted to wait until the 10K mark had been achieved - something which happened pretty quickly...

So here I offer my hearty congratulations for having cracked the 10K and for having the moxy to get started in the first place.   :-+

Yes, seems after I hit 9500  10k came quick.  And passed it already.
Thank you very much for your comment.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 01:26:29 am »
Thanks Dave!
   Remember, I owe it all to you. As I told you before you are the one single person that inspired me enough to start this.

I'm often asked what is my favorite thing about doing what I do, bingo, that's it.
I'm proud to say I've been an influence for most of the major channels around today, even if they don't particularly like me and go "I can make better videos than that!".
My global plan for content creation is going along nicely  ;D

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 04:20:07 pm »

I'm often asked what is my favorite thing about doing what I do, bingo, that's it.
I'm proud to say I've been an influence for most of the major channels around today, even if they don't particularly like me and go "I can make better videos than that!".

Well, it seems to be working for you just great. Keep it up  :-+
I am proud to say you are the one that has guided me along the way.  You are a great mentor.

On another note.
While a viewer was watching this video he noticed something I mentioned in it.

Since the 4th video I have been using a Sony  HDR-CX240 and a Panasonic  HMX-F80 small hand held video cams.
Both cameras have served me well and the video quality has been pretty decent according to my viewers. Draw backs in fixed lens and no mic input jacks.

This one viewer went online and had this dropped shipped to me today.
Yes a Cannon Vixia HF G10 camera kit.  1200 dollars US.
Wow, you never know what folks will send in.
I know you used this camera for quite a while and you had some problems near the end. Hope mine holds up ok.  Got to run in to town and grab some SD cards and maybe a new camera case. Then I have to sit down and learn how to use the thing.

Thanks for all you do Dave.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 04:42:21 am »
Amen!  That is indeed an impressive gesture.  I see things like that as an endorsement of the value of your work, providing something that was worth more to that individual than the ticket price of the camera.

Then I have to sit down and learn how to use the thing.
That is the challenge, isn't it.   ;)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 04:52:54 am »
I know you used this camera for quite a while and you had some problems near the end.

Nope, no problems, I upgraded to the HFG30 after a few years and that was my main camera for like 800 videos or something.
The HFG10 will serve you well, it's a nice camera. The internal mics are pretty good in these and being on the top are ideally located for behind camera work. Just keep within maybe 50cm or so. Most of videos behind camera used the internal mic.
I used manual mic gain almost all the time, as the auto-gain would pick up aircon noise etc.
I use auto mic gain on my new Sony NX80 as it seems to work better than the Canon, but I usually turn off the aircon when I shoot videos.
I kept the G10/G30 in fixed F4.2 or thereabouts most of the time to get extra depth of field on PCB's and things. That was a trade-off between the amount of light available.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:01:17 am by EEVblog »

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 04:44:11 pm »
Congratulations.  I've put up a few videos over the last 6 months on youtube channel, and while I'm no where near 10,000 subscribers, I've managed to hit 10,000 min/month.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 09:05:29 pm »

Amen!  That is indeed an impressive gesture.  I see things like that as an endorsement of the value of your work, providing something that was worth more to that individual than the ticket price of the camera.

I have to agree with you on that.  Besides Dave, I do not see many channels where folks send stuff in besides myself. And I can say I have received many nice gifts from viewers and companies.  I must be doing something right.

That is the challenge, isn't it.   ;)

Always love a good challenge. I have most of it figured out now.  I have to add more lighting as the Cannon is a bit darker than my old camera.
Thanks

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 09:13:10 pm »

Nope, no problems, I upgraded to the HFG30 after a few years and that was my main camera for like 800 videos or something.
The HFG10 will serve you well, it's a nice camera. The internal mics are pretty good in these and being on the top are ideally located for behind camera work. Just keep within maybe 50cm or so. Most of videos behind camera used the internal mic.
I used manual mic gain almost all the time, as the auto-gain would pick up aircon noise etc.
I use auto mic gain on my new Sony NX80 as it seems to work better than the Canon, but I usually turn off the aircon when I shoot videos.
I kept the G10/G30 in fixed F4.2 or thereabouts most of the time to get extra depth of field on PCB's and things. That was a trade-off between the amount of light available.

[/quote]

Thanks for that bit of information Dave.  It really helps.
I can tell you I am already liking the new camera.
I picked up a couple of new SD cards yesterday at Best buy. They do have Rhode mic that mounts on it, 50 bucks. I do not do talking head shots however, I am looking into having some guest in the future that I may want to interview.

Perhaps you need to do a video on that subject.  You have my backing as it has worked for me.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 09:14:00 pm »
Congratulations.  I've put up a few videos over the last 6 months on youtube channel, and while I'm no where near 10,000 subscribers, I've managed to hit 10,000 min/month.

Thank you.
And keep at it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf