Author Topic: #118 Yaesu FT-2800M No Power On Repair  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
#118 Yaesu FT-2800M No Power On Repair
« on: May 20, 2017, 05:48:35 pm »

In this video we look at a FT-2800M to find out why it will not power up.

TheDefpom:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCllpBTH26_dAl5tYl7vA1TQ

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: #118 Yaesu FT-2800M No Power On Repair
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 08:29:00 am »
Sometimes I don't get it with equipment owners. It's bad enough even placing a drink next to an expensive piece of kit like a transceiver but if you do spill anything on it then you need to get it to a repair shop like yours QUICKLY.

I have heard of some brave souls who spilled coke/tea/coffee on equipment then immediately gave it a good wash under the tap. This might work but you need to make damn sure that you get all of the water out afterwards, and I'm not sure about water seeping between the different layers of the LCD.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
Re: #118 Yaesu FT-2800M No Power On Repair
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 11:02:04 am »
Sometimes I don't get it with equipment owners. It's bad enough even placing a drink next to an expensive piece of kit like a transceiver but if you do spill anything on it then you need to get it to a repair shop like yours QUICKLY.

I have heard of some brave souls who spilled coke/tea/coffee on equipment then immediately gave it a good wash under the tap. This might work but you need to make damn sure that you get all of the water out afterwards, and I'm not sure about water seeping between the different layers of the LCD.

I agree with that. Keep the drinks away. Specially with surface mount boards. Distilled water or alcohol works much better since it has less contaminates as tap water.
The biggest problem with surface mount technology  is there are usually some type of voltage source like batteries in there for the micros. These are the first things that need to be removed. Even then a lot of times the damage is already done.  |O

I get liquid damaged smart phones in here from time to time. Most are non repairable because the owners do not take out the battery. Unlike Apple products most smart phone batteries are easy to remove.

Thanks  for taking the time to stop by and commenting.  :-+
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:00:22 pm by Radio Tech »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf