Author Topic: Tom Scott Calls It Quits  (Read 8762 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Tom Scott Calls It Quits
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2024, 09:16:36 am »
yeh, I watch Ian at forgottenweapons he often travels to museums, auctions or private collections, but when he's at a place he films many videos in a day

I got several hours of footage when I visited the quantum computer lab. Still haven't released part 2 yet.

Same with my Deep Space tracing videos and the Apollo 50th, I shot the shit out of that, recording every event.
Been meaning to visit the Siding Springs observatory, have had an invite for a while, but it's a 6hr train ride each way. So will no doubt shoot hours of footage when I'm there.
I just can't comprehend being a Youtuber and going to all that effort to travel to places and just getting a 5 minute scripted talking head and some b-roll footage and a few minutes of interviews.
Tom and I are in different worlds.

My favourite was his visit to the worlds largest radio telescope 3 months ago. It's a 30min and took time to shoot and produce a highely polished detailed video, it was great.
So it really shows he can do this detailed content.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 10:10:24 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2024, 12:41:00 pm »
I got several hours of footage when I visited the quantum computer lab. Still haven't released part 2 yet.

I've seen the 1st part, and it's by far the best video out there about the topic, and one that shows the actual hardware of a quantum computer.  :-+
Thank you so much.

I don't think there is any other quantum computing video with the level of detail you brought with that extended version part 1.  Then the edit inserts with essential pics related to the explanation, very helpful, then the cuts and edits to form a coherent explanation, crisp sound and image, finding a professor that is very gifted at explaining and passionate at the same time, etc.  Everything is stellar quality.  It felt like I was there and the professor was talking to me.

Can't talk for others, but I wouldn't mind at all watching raw-like footage in part 2, given the fact that video editing takes a ton of time.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2024, 06:46:38 pm »
It's hard work if you don't enjoy it.

Are you saying that guy doesn't enjoy making videos?

This channel is his second one, pretty much for personal enjoyment. As a side note he has had pretty big pauses in both his channels and then just continues on. He really seems to enjoy YouTube.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2024, 06:55:10 pm »
Dave, Matthias Wandel could be good hit for The AmpHour. He has 1.7m subscribers on his main channel, and was a part of the team that developed the Blackberry.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2024, 10:55:41 am »
Some reactions to Youtuber quitting videos, by other big Youtubers:

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2024, 08:28:40 am »
Good discussion by Joe Scott on people quitting Youtube.

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2024, 06:19:56 am »
But Dave !  Don't succumb to retirement just YET !

No chance. You can put money on me being the last one left standing.

Regardless, Is what 8bitguy says regarding revenue strictly from YT advertising true from your perspective as well?
I have what I think is a good idea that could cause me to ditch electronics on YT, and monetise for the first time.

But this kind of thing isn't exactly good news! The idea has it's costs.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2024, 06:35:15 am »
But Dave !  Don't succumb to retirement just YET !

No chance. You can put money on me being the last one left standing.

Regardless, Is what 8bitguy says regarding revenue strictly from YT advertising true from your perspective as well?
I have what I think is a good idea that could cause me to ditch electronics on YT, and monetise for the first time.

But this kind of thing isn't exactly good news! The idea has it's costs.

My revenue is flat. Although ti does say 35% down on previous year.

The following users thanked this post: @rt

Offline madsbarnkob

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2024, 07:07:32 pm »
6.3 million subscribers.  That's quite a bit to be walking away from.  But maybe he's made his fortune by now.

or maybe subscribers don't count for much anymore, it's all been tiktokified

Subscribers never accounted for much. Its search results and recommended that makes up most of the traffic/views. Around 20% from subs and 80% from the rest, is not a wild off guess.

Lets look at his stats: https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/tomscottgo

3 months ago, he made his last video, which also shows from last 10 weeks of flat/very declined views. But still making 500-800k views a week the last 5-6 weeks.

So its gone back to a passive back catalog income of 500$'ish a week, where his peaks of 15 million views on a week is around 11000$.

Turning out a video a week is not easy, I do mine as a hobby next to full time work, family, house renovation etc. Making a video every 14 days is what I can manage, But not always to the quality I dreamt of, but there is just not time for retakes in the one-man-army business :)

My revenue have been about the same for the last 3 years, so it is declining as the channel has also grown in the same 3 years. But it's nowhere near down TO 10-20%. It's maybe down BY 20%.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 07:16:46 pm by madsbarnkob »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf