Author Topic: Arduino 7 segment display using individual LEDs  (Read 3235 times)

Offline LesterwyattTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
Arduino 7 segment display using individual LEDs
« on: April 20, 2017, 12:41:51 am »
My latest project is seven segment display using individual LEDs displaying the time. I am also using DS1307 (RTC) with battery backup, i am also using the Arduino Micro as the brains. I originally used the UNO on the bread board before using the Micro on perf board. A word of caution if migrating source code from UNO to Micro. SDA is on pin 2 of the Micro and SCL is on pin 3 of the Micro. I found this out the hard way when i was scratching my head wondering why my display was freaking out.
Anyway you can find the project from here:
You will find the source code and schematic/wiring diagram in the description of the video.

Thanks Lester

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Arduino 7 segment display using individual LEDs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 04:05:10 am »
I went to http://www.lesterelectronics.co.uk/projects.html, and found this project at the bottom of the page.
No writeup, schematic or board photos and a broken sourcecode link earns it a big  :--

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 06:49:30 am »
Judging from your posts you could wake up one morning and have that done before lunch.

• Regular Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 08:36:13 am »
I went to http://www.lesterelectronics.co.uk/projects.html, and found this project at the bottom of the page.
No writeup, schematic or board photos and a broken sourcecode link earns it a big  :--

Hi Ian, Im sorry you gave it a thumbs down. I don't understand the broken source code link, i have not done a write up on the project, in the folder you should find the Arduino library for the clock including a pdf schematic, and also a pinout. To be fair the project is not that difficult to do so i have left all the construction steps out.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:46:32 am »
404 Not Found
Quote from: your download link
Not Found

The requested URL /downloads\SSeg.zip was not found on this server.
Apache/2.4.23 (Unix) Server at www.lesterelectronics.co.uk Port 80
:(

• Regular Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 10:10:50 am »
Hi Ian. Sorry about that, ill sort it soon. Only updated website yesterday, I probably missed something.

• Regular Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:15:05 am »
Ian I have just checked my site. I can download zip folder from my work station and also my colleagues can on their machines. May be a problem your end sorry.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 11:36:17 am »
I just downloaded SSeg.zip without any problem.

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 12:15:02 pm »
Fine here too actually.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 12:18:21 pm »
Snippit from Lester's site
Code: [Select]
<p>-------------------------------------------------------------</b>
<p><h3>Arduino Clock</h3></b>
</p><iframe width="210" heigh="172"
src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yJhYA2zyMA4">
</iframe>
<p><a href="downloads\SSeg.zip" download>Download Arduino Source code</a></b>
<p></b>
Backslashes ('\') in URLs are extremely suspect on a UNIX build of Apache. They are in fact required to be escaped. See section 2.4.3. of RFC2396.  As their unescaped behaviour is undefined, using them results in browser dependent behaviour.  Many browsers pander to Windows lUsers writing bad URLs by translating backslashes to slashes. My preferred browser does not and replaces them with their correctly escaped form.

If I manually fix the url http://www.lesterelectronics.co.uk/downloads/SSeg.zip I can download the zip file.

No photos or other details of the construction, a schematic that doesn't give Arduino pin numbers and a sketch that smashes the time back to 18:30:00 2015-05-31 on every powerup earns it a depressed whimpering <meh!>  :=\

• Regular Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 12:44:04 pm »
Hi Ian, if you look in the arduino folder you will find a txt file with the pinout. The example file is just an example, if you want to set the time and date take a look at the cpp file and alter the time in there

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 01:02:20 pm »
Yes.  However the shoddy documentation just gives the impression you didnt give a flying ---- about this project once you had it up and working.

Also it would have made more sense to provide either two sketches, one to set the clock, one to run it, or to have explicitly marked the code to be commented out after the first run, or to have added the facility to set the time from the Arduino Terminal.

This is not a technically complex project so with 804K results on Google for arduino 7 segment clock you have to put in a bit more effort to present it nicely if you want to stand out from the herd of crappy instructables and the like.

• Regular Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 01:28:30 pm »
Hi Ian thanks for comment, I will make adjustments to your points listed in your comment. I did this project for my son, my original intention was not an insructable because of the simplicity of the project. However I will make adjustments focust on the beginner.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 01:52:23 pm »
Just chuck in some photos of the build.  The project's nothing special, so it all comes down to how nicely you implemented it.

If you are feeling brave. run your site, page by page, through the W3C Markup Validation Service, and fix the errors it reports.  Hint: you've got two </head> tags and two <body> tags in that project page.  As neither heads nor bodies are nestable, and you've also got unbalanced opening and closing tags, that's definitely wrong and you'll have to fix it before the validator can check the rest of the page.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf