Author Topic: AvE's Bridge Videos  (Read 11506 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: AvE's Bridge Videos
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 04:33:47 am »
Lots of AvE types in rural Australia,
bet you wouldn't complain about their strong language while they're getting muddy and wet in the rain
bailing you out of trouble in the middle of nowhere, with a clunky old tractor they always -beep-  fix themselves  :-+

Just to be clear, I don't personally care about the swearing or if he does it in the videos, completely his choice.
Just thought it interesting that one of his videos went mainstream and he had to address it.

steverino

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 05:19:05 am »
I read the posts prior to viewing the videos, and from the comments, I was expecting some kind of insensitive, outrageous presentation.  A couple F-bombs surely doesn't upset me.  I thought his analysis and presentation was excellent.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 07:23:52 am »

He's the 3rd highest Patron channel with over 13000 patron.
https://graphtreon.com/top-patreon-creators
Even with everyone on the $2 level that's over $300k a year income from Patreon alone, probably another $100k-$150k a year from Adsense.
So if he's not pulling in $400k a year (before tax) from this Youtube gig I'll eat my hat. If he's not doing it full time with that sort of money then he's crazy.

I don't watch many of his vids and I don't subscribe but occasionally the youtube AI. recommends one. In particular a road trip in BC's interior dated Feb 7 2018. I didn't watch the whole thing but he indicates it was a company road trip. :-// so likely still working a day job.

I am somewhat amused by Wilfred's reaction to what he calls AvE's "childish gibberish speech". This is a deep Canadianism and no doubt AvE hams it up to a degree just like Dave with his mailbag sword. His youtube landing page says: more Canadian than maple syrup. Australians in general get Canadians but this is one cultural corner that would be opaque to you. We are an officially a bilingual country with cultures that have been called the "two solitudes", yet each child is force fed the other solitude's language at some point in school. As a result, and in a mild form of rebellion, we intentionally mangle words and play word-fusion games with the other's language, our own language or any one else's! It is one of my own favourite diversions.

In class  or caste based societies like India or olde England people often place great importance on elocution or dress or a myriad of other secondary indicators to assess  your "proper station". It would suggest Wilfred is toward the pom end of Australian sensibilities. (pom is not a word Canadians use so I hope this deployment is correct) Canadians in general abhor social climbing and deference to class. Both anglo Canadians and Quebecois have for generations been dismissed as rustic primitives by the respective colonial source nations, something that I know Australians understand.

On AvE's youtube about page there is this quote:
    "This channel has awesome Patrons. We have no need, nor any inclination to do corpo shill vids. If you are thinking you'd like me to review your fantastic new banana peeler, I invite you to please fuck off."

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Barryg41, mtdoc, Electro Detective

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 08:51:23 am »
People leave because they are not offended bug because they are disgusted. It is amazing that someone willingly and deliberately cuts his audience.
You got it backwards there. The audience willingly and deliberately cuts itself. If you get your panties in a twist over something wholly irrelevant, you probably won't be able to deal with the interesting parts either. Besides, AvE has indicated that he likes the audience smaller. Apparently the signal to noise ratio is better that way. He's doing it for fun, not to make a living.

Even with everyone on the $2 level that's over $300k a year income from Patreon alone, probably another $100k-$150k a year from Adsense.
So if he's not pulling in $400k a year (before tax) from this Youtube gig I'll eat my hat. If he's not doing it full time with that sort of money then he's crazy.

Unless he's lying through his teeth, the latter seems to be true. As far as I can tell he still has his day job, which appears to be some kind of field engineer type of deal. His story is that he doesn't want to pander to money, in which case it makes sense to keep your regular job. If your livelihood is dependent on content, the content is inevitably influenced by that fact. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, but there's plenty of examples on the intertube that show us it can be a bad thing. He says he doesn't take sponsored or "free" equipment for the same reason. Besides, why go fulltime when you can do it on the side and still make a mint?

Is Adsense advertisement money? AvE actively steers people away from watching ads on his behalf, though it's possible many people still do.

I have to say I didn't really spot a change in the second bridge video. I watch a fair few of his videos and it seemed to be a fairly typical one, but I may be paying attention to different things.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 09:21:01 am »
I didn't notice a change worth noting in the second video either, only that he hammered down to verify his points without  'beeping'  up

The oscilloscope demo and explanation was excellent  :clap:

FWIW at the end of both videos he farewells viewers by advising they keep their private part in the vice/vise   :scared:

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 09:33:02 am »

Unless he's lying through his teeth, the latter seems to be true. As far as I can tell he still has his day job, which appears to be some kind of field engineer type of deal. His story is that he doesn't want to pander to money, in which case it makes sense to keep your regular job. If your livelihood is dependent on content, the content is inevitably influenced by that fact.

But most of his money comes in direct donations. No commercial influence at all.
It's a fact that he earns over $300k a year on those donations alone.

That doesn't have to be a bad thing, but there's plenty of examples on the intertube that show us it can be a bad thing. He says he doesn't take sponsored or "free" equipment for the same reason. Besides, why go fulltime when you can do it on the side and still make a mint?

Freedom?
Why work for the man when you make a lot more on Youtube and have the freedom to do whatever you whenever you want?
Of course there could be many reasons, like having access to lots of tools or facilities or projects at work you couldn't hope to access even earning $400k+ a year.
Just liking it perhaps, or maintaining your "career" and skill set keeping it up etc.
Some people like lotto winners often go back to work after winning because they really don't know what else to do with themselves otherwise.

Mrs EEVblog for example continues to work even though there is no need for her to do so financially, we'd get along fine if she decided not to work. But she does it because she wants to maintain her career, and if I'm honest, that's at the expense of the EEVblog in terms of time I have to devote to the business.
i.e. from a purely current and future financial point of view it would make much more sense for her to quit her job and work for the EEVblog and help build the business ;D
Just like the plan was when he had our first child, she was earning more than me, so I was going to look after the kids while she worked full time because I had several side businesses I could do some from.
But then the blog grew and grew and the circumstances changed.

Is Adsense advertisement money? AvE actively steers people away from watching ads on his behalf, though it's possible many people still do.

The majority still do. If he has adsense enabled then he's going to get a majority watching the ads, it's inevitable when you have a large audience. My estimate would be at least $100k a year from that. A good lot would come from random search views, recommended video views etc.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 09:38:31 am »
I suspect AvE knocks back a few sometimes, before hitting the Record button
He's into the reds I think, betting on cask Merlot 
I think he goes for a Comedy Central Drunk History vibe for some of his videos.  :)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 09:46:57 am »
He has to do that from time to time. And I guess sensitive souls go away offended for a while, and then the new ones come in.

People leave because they are not offended bug because they are disgusted. It is amazing that someone willingly and deliberately cuts his audience.
Cut? He built his audience doing what he does. People making sanitised technical videos don't have much appeal beyond those with an academic slant on life. That's a pretty small potential audience.

I think its unfortunate if AvE reacts in any way to the what people who will never watch more than one or two of his videos say. Its puts his appeal to his regular audience at risk, and his channel might fade away. Trying for wider appeal frequently leaves people with no appeal at all.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 09:53:08 am »
I don't watch many of his vids and I don't subscribe but occasionally the youtube AI. recommends one. In particular a road trip in BC's interior dated Feb 7 2018. I didn't watch the whole thing but he indicates it was a company road trip. :-// so likely still working a day job.
Any rational YouTuber will either keep their day job in some form, or at least keep up to date in the profession to they can easily slip back into a day job. YouTube and Patreon income is fickle. Basing your life on what you've been able to make for one or two years would be rather short sighted.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 09:57:34 am »
I think he goes for a Comedy Central Drunk History vibe for some of his videos.  :)
Not doing the Youtube thing fulltime might be the only thing between him and full blown alcoholism. Then again, that ship may have sailed. ;D

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 10:10:35 am »
Any rational YouTuber will either keep their day job in some form, or at least keep up to date in the profession to they can easily slip back into a day job. YouTube and Patreon income is fickle. Basing your life on what you've been able to make for one or two years would be rather short sighted.

Any relationship where the balance of power is that lopsided is a dangerous proposition. Being fully dependent on income while Youtube can wipe you out without giving it a second thought is not a good place to be.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 10:23:45 am »
Any relationship where the balance of power is that lopsided is a dangerous proposition. Being fully dependent on income while Youtube can wipe you out without giving it a second thought is not a good place to be.

Most Youtubers are in that position, hence the massive popularity of Patreon which now at least gives them a 2nd source of income. But of course if your youtube channel gets shut down, the Patreon would soon dry up as well.
I'm rare in that I have Youtube + Patreon + Merch + Product store + direct website advertising. I'm the battleship of bloggers  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 10:27:32 am »

In many cases online media and content creation has become their new career, so many might not want to go back to their old career even if they had one.
You can always go work for Buzzfeed  ;D

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 10:50:21 am »

Most Youtubers are in that position, hence the massive popularity of Patreon which now at least gives them a 2nd source of income. But of course if your youtube channel gets shut down, the Patreon would soon dry up as well.
I'm rare in that I have Youtube + Patreon + Merch + Product store + direct website advertising. I'm the battleship of bloggers  ;D
YouTube income has a considerable risk of stopping dead on the spot, at the whim of YouTube. Patreon income is unlikely to die suddenly, unless you really annoy your audience, but it will become an increasing struggle to avoid it fading away once you run out of the more obviously appealing new ideas for videos.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 10:59:30 am »
YouTube income has a considerable risk of stopping dead on the spot, at the whim of YouTube. Patreon income is unlikely to die suddenly, unless you really annoy your audience, but it will become an increasing struggle to avoid it fading away once you run out of the more obviously appealing new ideas for videos.

Youtube could shut down your channel entirely with little to no notice under the three strikes system, removing your platform entirely.

Offline Asuka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 05:30:11 am »
Both anglo Canadians and Quebecois have for generations been dismissed as rustic primitives by the respective colonial source nations, something that I know Australians understand.
Hard to think of a more easily disbunked falsehood which is so frequently repeated.

The current head of the Bank of England is from "Canuckistan", and British television has long been awash with Australians like Clive James, Germaine Greer, Dannii and Kylie.

Tempted to be a lot more sarcastic about this, but will refrain for the time being.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 08:54:05 am »
Tempted to be a lot more sarcastic about this, but will refrain for the time being.

Not tempted at all to educate you on 400 years of Canadian history with or without employing sarcasm.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 09:13:44 am »
Hard to think of a more easily disbunked falsehood which is so frequently repeated.

The current head of the Bank of England is from "Canuckistan", and British television has long been awash with Australians like Clive James, Germaine Greer, Dannii and Kylie.

Note that your statements aren't even in contradiction to each other. chickenHeadKnob speaks of generations, while you're referring to the current situation and recent history.

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 09:37:49 am »
Meh.. I think, he thinks he's Red Green.
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2018, 11:05:37 am »
Meh.. I think, he thinks he's Red Green.
I'm yet to see the lodge. But if it weren't for Red Green I might have forever thought all North Americans were... dull.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2018, 06:54:07 pm »
FWIW, there are Canadian's who speak this way, especially after a few pints..  I vaguely recognize a lingo and style either from New Brunswick or Sudbury - two mixed bi-lingual areas (living side-by-each, as we say) with the English trying to impress the French neigbours with crudism's and showing-off their French know-how. Very entertaining, but doubt he'd speak this way in a sober one-to-one chat.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2018, 06:55:21 pm »
FWIW, there are Canadian's who speak this way, especially after a few pints..  I vaguely recognize a lingo and style either from New Brunswick or Sudbury - two mixed bi-lingual areas (living side-by-each, as we say) with the English trying to impress the French neigbours with crudism's and showing-off their French know-how. Very entertaining, but doubt he'd speak this way in a sober one-to-one chat.
I guess there'd be more agony due to the lack of libation.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2018, 07:12:47 pm »
I guess there'd be more agony due to the lack of libation.
On sober one-to-one chat, I refer to sober meaningful exchange vs. neanderthal shop talk (no suds required).

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2018, 08:44:22 pm »
chickenHeadKnob speaks of generations, while you're referring to the current situation and recent history.
+1.

FWIW, there are Canadian's who speak this way, especially after a few pints..
Yup. When piss drunk I often find myself using an accent/affectation that was common in the place I grew up. Which the weird things is I don't think I ever expressed it when living there.

AvE gets tiresome to me for the being outraged at the slightest hint of things not built/designed exactly how he deems to be correct. This seemingly serves to give him a reason to "get serious." So it's an endless mixup of maple syrup and soapbox/tirade. But offensive? No, not particularly. Just not the guy you expect to be covering a tragedy with recent deaths. One of his latest vids has the screen capture "Powerful Blow Jobber".

The One Hung Low thing Dave likes to say is more cringeworthy than anything I've ever heard on AvE.  Crikey! 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:55:30 pm by KL27x »

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2018, 12:41:47 pm »
How non-native speakers of English understand AvE: "Gentlemen, welcome back to the shop! Today, herpaderpahrgn lnglasbat ariasalarmahnf ocusyoufaackl fsnchin esiumxp wslkharr eprpa nlahdewc lawlarna purmpgnaaac lickalk rlkajr lkbjlnalg. Keep your dick in the vise."

So, if he tones down or up, we can't notice.

Just saying.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf