Author Topic: AvE's Bridge Videos  (Read 11508 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
AvE's Bridge Videos
« on: March 18, 2018, 01:37:07 am »
Interesting (but predictable) how his original video got a lot of mainstream attention and subsequently a lot of new viewers and copped a lot of flack for his "crude shop talk" a.k.a foul language. And how he had to address this and tone it down in the 2nd video.
The age old problem if building an audience based on a certain style of video and language vs more "mainstream friendly" content.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:39:03 am by EEVblog »

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: AvE's Bridge Videos
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 02:19:01 am »
He has to do that from time to time. And I guess sensitive souls go away offended for a while, and then the new ones come in.
My RSS reader is blocked by the forum, so I won't be actively reading it. If you need to reach me, use email.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 02:20:57 am »
I just wish he'd parked it for this video where people dying is fresh in my mind.
People are always dying, it is irrelevant to the engineering aspect of it. There are different sites for sending thoughts and prayers.
My RSS reader is blocked by the forum, so I won't be actively reading it. If you need to reach me, use email.

Offline Asuka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 02:30:42 am »
IAnd how he had to address this and tone it down in the 2nd video.
"If you can't handle an F-bomb, go f*** your hat, get out of here now" at the start of the second video doesn't seem to tone it down.

The following users thanked this post: Barryg41, gnavigator1007

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 02:32:29 am »
"If you can't handle an F-bomb, go f*** your hat, get out of here now" at the start of the second video doesn't seem to tone it down.
He addressed it by having all "offended" parties leave. Why should everyone suffer because some people are too sensitive. I'm sure there are some kids channels out there.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 03:24:09 am »
He did give fair warning up front which is more than the construction supervisors gave those innocent people, they deserve to be cursed for all eternity for their incompetence and negligence.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 03:36:29 am »
AvE is awesome. No, i don't think he toned down his language in the second video at all. He’s the same as always. There’s a reason he has 779k subscribers. He knows his shit and he is entertaining as hell.

The following users thanked this post: amyk

Offline CNe7532294

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 03:39:19 am »
Meh, I'm indifferent to anything offensive nowadays. I've seen far worse from people higher up the chain than AvE, Dave, or even this blog combined. To me this is a case of "I'm a guest in someone else's house". If I see something that I think my host is doing wrong do I call them out on it? Obviously if it endanger's their life as well as yours. If its all just talk or just a different way on going about something thats easier for them, should I still say, "No no no this is how I do things"? I'm just saying how many times can you get away with telling someone else to do what you do in their own house before you're shown the door or that conversion gets "politely" shutdown. I do understand the concern but these are legitimate questions in this day and age.

The following users thanked this post: 3db

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 04:31:49 am »
He has to do that from time to time. And I guess sensitive souls go away offended for a while, and then the new ones come in.

People leave because they are not offended bug because they are disgusted. It is amazing that someone willingly and deliberately cuts his audience.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 04:37:48 am »
He has way more subscribers than EEVBlog, so I say he is doing OK. It attracts the kind of people he wants to attract, and if a bunch of whiners leave, so be it. You stop saying "bad" words, they will start attacking something else, it never ends.

Interesting how people just picked a few words and decided they can't say them. This is stupid, they are just words.

The following users thanked this post: Gary350z

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 05:01:28 am »
The first AvE video I watched I really disliked it, but then I started watching another one and another one. I’m not a delicate snowflake or anything so it wasn’t the language I didn’t like, probably just a different style to most.

Now, I love his videos. He clearly knows his stuff and this is no different. The mrs walked into the office when I had one of his videos playing and I don’t think she realized what was being said until the final sign off and she had to double take.

As an Aussie, the part that brought a tear to my eye was when he did the compressor tank video and he genuinely tried to learn some Aussie slang. I can say he knocked that one for 6.

For the videos about the bridge, it’s a tradgedy that people died because of the collapse, but people die all the time. He at no point made me think he was being disrespectful. He was stating facts and cutting through the bull.

The following users thanked this post: 3db

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 06:26:41 am »
I've always said, if I die in some horrible way, I don't want any of this "don't conjecture", or "now is not the time", everybody is welcome to debate loudly about what happened as they are scooping my brains from the pavement, and they can be as colourful in language as they like in doing so. 

The more people discuss and put forward ideas the more we learn.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 07:05:52 am »
People leave because they are not offended bug because they are disgusted. It is amazing that someone willingly and deliberately cuts his audience.
You can't please everyone and you need hooks to stand out from the crowd and bind people to your channel. Once you settle on those hooks it's not necessarily a good idea to abandon them when you get a smell of success. Sometimes you can abandon your core audience and go more mainstream, other times you just lose it all.

From a marketing point of view it's hardly amazing he keeps cussing, it's done alright by him up to this point.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 08:30:08 pm »
The first AvE video I watched I really disliked it, but then I started watching another one and another one. I’m not a delicate snowflake or anything so it wasn’t the language I didn’t like, probably just a different style to most.
Opposite, here. First vid was entertaining. After the novelty wore off, it's like the guy that is initially intriguing but quickly tiresome. I imagine this is what David Lee Roth was like back in the 80's, lol.

I think he toned it down a lot, in his bridge videos. Or maybe it was just he fact he has interesting observations and explanations, esp in the second video. These are the first AVE video I haven't turned off halfway through in quite a long time.

it's not necessarily a good idea to abandon them when you get a smell of success.
I think you're right. Personally, I watch the vids which seem like they might be interesting. I occasionally learn something. But I bet most people subscribe to hear the over-the-top Canuckery. I totally understand that. I think I could watch thisoldtony doing a video on painting a fence.   
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:45:21 pm by KL27x »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 09:15:46 pm »
IAnd how he had to address this and tone it down in the 2nd video.

Later on in the video he refrained from a dad joke for reasons of "decorum". And you could tell his approach had changed somewhat, knowing and thinking a larger audience were watching this serious topic and came to watch the video for the technical stuff.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 09:34:12 pm »
AvE is awesome. No, i don't think he toned down his language in the second video at all. He’s the same as always. There’s a reason he has 779k subscribers.

It's interesting to recall that nobody on this forum wanted that audience here when AvE asked if he could use this forum as his official forum and direct his audience to hear. I did a pole and it was met with a resounding no.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 10:21:05 pm »
I simply don't like ave, so I don't watch ave.  :-// Subs aren't everything, sadly morons can get 1m plus subs. (not referring to ave) think pewdipie etc
Gone for good

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 10:52:02 pm »
AvE is awesome. No, i don't think he toned down his language in the second video at all. He’s the same as always. There’s a reason he has 779k subscribers.

It's interesting to recall that nobody on this forum wanted that audience here when AvE asked if he could use this forum as his official forum and direct his audience to hear. I did a pole and it was met with a resounding no.

That must have been before I joined here, but I'm grateful to the members that voted it down. I enjoy AvE's videos and I am mostly a lurker here, but can't imagine how disorganised this forum would be now if his crowd had been integrated. Just thinking of the volume of "which this or that should I buy?" topics would be insane.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 11:57:33 pm »

It's POLL sir, not pole, symptom of AVE-itis?   ;D

I sat through both videos and he pretty much explained it very well to anyone interested, as well as the Enginerds

Let's see if the investigators do as well before it gets forgotten, till the next 'hurry up and finish it' collapse 

We had our own homegrown engineering fiasco here too, the Westgate Bridge collapse, not good    :--

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 02:38:44 am »

Apples and Oranges.  I like both - but they should not be mixed.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 02:54:51 am »
You got it backwards there. The audience willingly and deliberately cuts itself. If you get your panties in a twist over something wholly irrelevant, you probably won't be able to deal with the interesting parts either. Besides, AvE has indicated that he likes the audience smaller. Apparently the signal to noise ratio is better that way. He's doing it for fun, not to make a living.

And seriously, disgusted rather than mildly offended? Either the former word is suffering from massive inflation or these people must have huge issues dealing with real life.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:01:32 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 03:43:50 am »
180 degree spin of the Youtube bottle and you have the Homesteading channels who are always nice and well mannered, with great tool tips and reviews
and will even pray for your soul if you're a non believer    :clap:   

so you don't go to hell before you do the  -Thumbs Up, Like and Subscribe-   thang   >:D 

I suspect AvE knocks back a few sometimes, before hitting the Record button
He's into the reds I think, betting on cask Merlot 

Anyways if a no BS engineering approach comes packaged with a few verbal whoppers here and there, we can either deal with it, ignore it,
pretend we understand what  '...been busier than a dog with two d***s' actually means   :o   and have a giggle,
or click surf elsewhere  :popcorn:

At the end of the day we are guests in his 'workshop' freeloading on his knowledge and experience, so why whinge when he gives the lowdown in his particular style?

Lots of AvE types in rural Australia,
bet you wouldn't complain about their strong language while they're getting muddy and wet in the rain
bailing you out of trouble in the middle of nowhere, with a clunky old tractor they always -beep-  fix themselves  :-+ 

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 03:48:46 am »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:55:35 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 03:58:44 am »
Here is where it broke, if you look directly to the right of the crane you see workers on the section of the roof that gave way go into free fall (hopefully they survived). Four or so workers on the right slid inside but appeared to avoid being crushed as the roof held up on that section.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:26:45 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 04:28:45 am »
You got it backwards there. The audience willingly and deliberately cuts itself. If you get your panties in a twist over something wholly irrelevant, you probably won't be able to deal with the interesting parts either. Besides, AvE has indicated that he likes the audience smaller. Apparently the signal to noise ratio is better that way. He's doing it for fun, not to make a living.

He's the 3rd highest Patron channel with over 13000 patron.
https://graphtreon.com/top-patreon-creators
Even with everyone on the $2 level that's over $300k a year income from Patreon alone, probably another $100k-$150k a year from Adsense.
So if he's not pulling in $400k a year (before tax) from this Youtube gig I'll eat my hat. If he's not doing it full time with that sort of money then he's crazy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf