Author Topic: BOLTR? Black & Decker Vintage Drill Teardown - BSFEEChannel#22  (Read 1273 times)

Offline bsfeechannelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
BOLTR? Black & Decker Vintage Drill Teardown - BSFEEChannel#22
« on: October 26, 2018, 02:51:56 pm »
Although I understand 10% of what he says (and 1% of his jokes), I've learned a few things from AvE, e.g., how to identify the various kinds of plastique and their application, or what makes some materials (metals) rust (oxidize) and others not, and about mrpete222's channel, of whom I became a fan.

At first I didn't like AvE's videos, because he sounded to me like those kids who enjoy destroying things for no apparent reason.

His attempt to convert a drill press into a poor-man's mill ( " "IMPOSSIBLE!" Milling Machine from a Drill Press ") changed that. I still laugh every time at 11:16 min.

I find his content amusingly informative (translation: he shows what not to do in the shop), even though he occasionally jumps the shark, like at the end of the video down below me.

So I decided to tear down a drill of an almost identical model. The difference is that mine was not in a pristine condition as his, had many problems with previous tinkering,  and the motivation was to evaluate a possible repair.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: BOLTR? Black & Decker Vintage Drill Teardown - BSFEEChannel#22
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 06:42:50 pm »
Some people just have easier time letting go of junk than others. There is absolutely no practical need for a drill like this even in pristine condition. Unless you just like to hoard stuff or run a museum.

Some older tools do hold their value and are sometimes better than modern equivalents. Those don't include majority of electrical tools.
Alex

Offline bsfeechannelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 07:07:32 pm »
I totally agree. I have other perfectly working drills. I don't need this one.

The thing is you learn a lot of things when you try to repair. The journey is the reward.

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 07:53:08 pm »
Main problem with those early drills was that they were way too fast, and just destroyed bit after bit by overheating them. Of course you could make a separate triac speed controller quite easily, but they weren't generally available. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf