Author Topic: List Of Electronics Youtubers - Comprehensive List - Old Version  (Read 130103 times)

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Re: List Of Electronics Youtubers
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2017, 02:25:31 am »
I really don't want to shove work on others, let me give this a go. Can I PM you if I have Excel questions?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2017, 04:07:40 am »
It's not really work for me, as such ... just some fun that is helping out others.

But don't let that get in the way of you having a go!

... asking questions is perfectly OK - but I may be a little slow responding over the next few days.  (More going on than I would like.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:09:20 am by Brumby »

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2017, 09:37:13 pm »

I'm going through EEV members first...   

Hi Cliff

I am not 100% sure on what is going on here.  Are you adding this data to the spreadsheet?  Your links go to the Videos page.  When I started this, I linked to the Home page to shorten the link (character space).   Now I am not sure if there will be a space problem or not.  Dave increased the size from 10k to 60k and right now it is running about 40k.  So I do not think space is a problem anymore.  If and when I start the Playlist thing, I will link to the Playlist page.  If you are editing the sheet, could you add in the Yes or No under Playlist and link to the Playlist page.  If not that is OK, I will.  I just thought that since you might be adding links you could add in Playlist.  If so get the new sheet from Brumby that has the new Playlist column.

Thanks

Brumby:  can you somehow come up with a version control system?   Seems that there are three of us working on this.     FYI - I am not touching this for now.  Do you have a sample of the Playlist version?

Another question.  When a change is made to the sheet, how will it be done?  In this case it seems you are taking the data directly from the forum and converting it into a spreadsheet and then will send it to me (then I will have another copy of the spreadsheet).  The other way is for me to send you my copy of the spreadsheet.  I guess it depends on the work involved in going from HTML to XLS to ODS.  Before you start sending everyone a copy put a serial number or date and time code in it.  That way I will confirm that I have the correct version when it gets uploaded.  Since I do not have Excel, it might be better that you import the data directly to keep it as clean as possible. 

If you do add something to track with, try and add it in the table section.  That is the part that I copy when I upload a change.  If outside the table it might get lost.  Maybe in the last cell in the comment section right after the last comment (not row 1999)?  A date and time code might work.

Maybe someone reading this who has version control experience can weigh in on this.

thanks
Roger
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2017, 12:15:35 am »
Roger, yes I am adding a fair chunk to the sheet but just once. I'll PM you both with a link to my Dropbox when finished, so you can add/subtract from it as you wish. I will also close access to my YT profile (sharing my subscriptions) and delete a few posts to subtract from a few streams of confusion here.

As for linking directly to the 24-digit channel_id/videos vs. Username/videos, there are a few things going on so let me explain. AFAIK, channel-id's are permanent but a user-name can be changed on channel's with over 100 subscribers (it can grow to over 24 digits too). Linking to a channel playlist's is fine, but these don't always link to video's produced on that channel. (I originally mentioned playlists specifically for channel with mixed content). Since playlists require authors to do channel work to keep actualized, many channel's fall quickly out-of-date, looking sloppy and this gives visitors a dated view hiding gems that may be on that channel (yes visitors can click on video's, but some want it served quick on a silver platter).

Another irritating thing I find about landing on the main page of a channel, is listening over-and-over to some (hope I don't offend..) tactless, plosive and dated channel trailer, seeing the same stuff because the user is too busy making great video's and seldom takes time to update the main page. I'd rather land on the video's page 10-to-1 since by default it shows more thumbnails per page and the newest video's first. There are search arguments for mixed content channels not producing their own topical playlists, and this is an alternative to playlists, but we talked about that before. (eg: I like Cody'sLab as a channel, but it's not applicable here. However, if I wanted to fish video's with sparse electronics content, we could use arguments like https://www.youtube.com/user/theCodyReeder/search?query=electronics|arduino|relay ).

(**edit) About me putting-in channel-id's and not names: Would you believe I'm not? (well not really) I'm getting all the URL's produced from my "subscriptions > see all" list in grid-view. That's how YouTube does it, but to save space you can use the channel name (where they exist..).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:40:41 am by Cliff Matthews »

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2017, 12:47:08 am »
Brumby, I am looking for a way for maintainers to quickly get a list of subscriber counts for these channels. I asked the question here about it, but for now there's no reply.

Perhaps in the spreadsheet, you could derive a URL any maintainer could click on to get a subscriber count. Here's two examples with channel-id or channel-name:
1)
joe smith      https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCsK99WXk9VhcghnAauTBsbg/realtime
2)
w2aew          https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/w2aew/realtime
w2aew          https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCiqd3GLTluk2s_IBt7p_LjA/realtime

(*edit  Above, referring to w2aew's channel by its unchanging ID is 22 letters longer than its name)

Why create this on the sheet? It allows regular delegation of a more menial task (and I wouldn't mind helping out) while at the same time spotting any channel problems. (nothing more than click, read, alt-tab, update, a few hundred times.. all good fun in the life of someone wanting to help others..).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:02:33 am by Cliff Matthews »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2017, 02:13:10 am »
The spreadsheet was meant to make the job of maintaining the data much easier.  It separated out the information of interest from the BBCODE used to lay out the table.  One worksheet had the data in simple row and column format and the second has all the formulae to create finished BBCODE - which you could just copy and paste into the forum post.

The original process I started with did, indeed, use the forum table in the first post as input.  After the first manual efforts, I set up another spreadsheet that allowed me to dump the BBCODE in one block and have all the data fields separated out automatically.  It literally takes me under 10 seconds to pull fresh data from the forum table.

However, we now seem to be entering a new stage where the spreadsheet is becoming the data reference and the forum table an expression of that.  Certainly, this gives us the opportunity to add more behind-the-scenes functionality, but we do need to address version control.

Adding an annotation on the data is not at all difficult.  I would suggest putting it on line 3 of the heading under Additional Info - in a colour that would be unobtrusive.  (You could even make it White, which would be practically invisible unless you did a click and drag across the text.)  These are fixed cells that are unused and it would be safer than messing around at the end of the table.

I would also suggest that when we have a new version of the spreadsheet, that my practice of posting it as an attachment is used.  This defines a version at a very specific point in time with access available to anyone.  It does not hide it away where access may become problematic.  Besides, there's nothing 'secret' in it.  Curious members could review it and offer suggestions or point out errors.  I would also suggest that previous versions of the spreadsheet could be deleted (modify your post and UNcheck the attachments) to avoid excess baggage on the EEVblog server.

The question as to who is working on the data at any point in time is a key one.

At this moment, it is Cliff.  When he is done with his efforts, I suggest he uploads it as an attachment.  We can discuss the changes and take it from there.  We simply agree who has control and make a post saying so.  Nothing too fancy.

As for the additional functionality of getting subscriber counts, adding a behind the scenes link to a Social Blade page is easy.  Having a person work through it, though, would be somewhat laborious.  I've had a quick look at trying to automate this .... and aside from the process of doing this, consideration has to be given to exception conditions and exactly how we apply this data.  I don't have time to delve into this at the moment - but it could be an add-on down the track.  Then again, a manual process would allow safer handling of exception conditions.

I have not yet added the Play List column ... I was waiting on Cliff to do his big effort first.

Questions on channel name vs channel id I'll leave up to others.  I prefer to keep to the formatting.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:16:19 am by Brumby »

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2017, 11:55:18 am »
Ok Brumby, I will post the xls here, in a day or two.
As for playlists, I now think we should avoid them on smaller channels, since authors can delete, rename or move them. IMO larger channels are less likely to change the things that have built-up viewer counts. We could solicit input and make a separate sticky for really good playlists from established channels though..??

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2017, 12:39:31 pm »
Dang , and I thought was spending too much time on good Youtube videos already ;)
I use a bad memory to scan the list on pg one and recognized about 25 from my list , have many more that are related to electronic's like solar , lithium battery building etc.
One that I did not notice and he sticks out in my mind , Robrenz he may be mostly machining , but does a lot of electronics like building his own Kelvin leads
Not enough time ?
Thanks

The following users thanked this post: ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2017, 10:12:27 pm »
Another irritating thing I find about landing on the main page of a channel, is listening over-and-over to some (hope I don't offend..) tactless, plosive and dated channel trailer, seeing the same stuff because the user is too busy making great video's and seldom takes time to update the main page.

I agree with this (the videos drove me nuts when setting up the list) and will change over slowly someday.  Still going through the rest of the message.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
  • somehow has an ee degree
    • szy.io
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2017, 12:49:20 am »
That's close. I see 7 electronics video's:-//

I counted 9 including the Pizza ovens, which I think are cool.  So I think he deserves to be in. (and he has Playlists ha ha ha).  So 9 + Playlist = 10   :-DD

Seriously it was the Pizza oven.  :-+

Thanks for considering me! I apologize for not noticing the 10 video minimum... Thank you so much for making a bit of an exception I guess... uploading another video as we speak!
somehow allowed to be a Pixie Wrangler in Training
eBay Store | My site | Hackaday.io Projects | my mastodon.technology profile

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2017, 02:26:51 am »
I've just gone through and removed all the old versions of the spreadsheet I uploaded.  Only the last version I uploaded on 4th June remains.

I've left a comment indicating this, to avoid confusion.

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #161 on: June 07, 2017, 05:43:10 am »
Brumby
Hold off on the playlists for now.   tks

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #162 on: June 07, 2017, 08:14:46 am »
No worries.

I'm just here to support.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #163 on: June 07, 2017, 08:23:57 am »
Some that might be under the radar.

Electronics Trivia by Steve Wagner kits and such.

JohnAudioTech diy audio

DrCassette audio amp repair

MKme Lab dones and kits etc.

tomtektest

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, ez24

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2017, 03:15:01 pm »
Had 'em all on radar - but thanks! Try to weave-through interesting but lightly used electronics channels to check the channels followed by them. This is an example.

Busy channels tend to cut out ties with personal interest in other channels and focus on "the task at hand", which is to make a channel great. Smaller unknown channels (less subs) don't even bother to see what others are doing and often fail to share accordingly..

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2017, 03:04:57 am »
Still working away on the list additions, so I need another day.

Today, I saw a prime example of the main page of a channel with no videos, just one playlist with 6 videos, but under video's, 300 have been recorded in the last year. Go figure.. video's are out there, we just gotta find 'em.

Offline madsbarnkob

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2017, 06:48:26 am »
As for linking directly to the 24-digit channel_id/videos vs. Username/videos, there are a few things going on so let me explain. AFAIK, channel-id's are permanent but a user-name can be changed on channel's with over 100 subscribers (it can grow to over 24 digits too). Linking to a channel playlist's is fine, but these don't always link to video's produced on that channel. (I originally mentioned playlists specifically for channel with mixed content). Since playlists require authors to do channel work to keep actualized, many channel's fall quickly out-of-date, looking sloppy and this gives visitors a dated view hiding gems that may be on that channel (yes visitors can click on video's, but some want it served quick on a silver platter).

To ensure data quality and minimum manual updates, it should be chosen to use the 24 digit unique ID, even if it is ugly and the channel has a custom URL (which can be changed and therefore is not reliable)

Linking to usernames does not work either, f.ex. I have a youtube username with my original channel, later I created a brand channel for my electronics, but visiting through my username you will only see my personal video channel and not the electronics.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2017, 05:20:21 pm »
PM'ed EZ24 and Brumby (some difficulty)..

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2017, 12:13:05 am »
One interesting fact.

The "new" spreadsheet (private) comes in at 86k characters (540 rows) and the "old" list is 35k (192 rows), the limit is 50k. ???

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
  • somehow has an ee degree
    • szy.io
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2017, 12:33:35 am »
One interesting fact.

The "new" spreadsheet (private) comes in at 86k characters (540 rows) and the "old" list is 35k (192 rows), the limit is 50k. ???
Put it in pastebin or something, maybe?
somehow allowed to be a Pixie Wrangler in Training
eBay Store | My site | Hackaday.io Projects | my mastodon.technology profile

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2017, 01:11:55 am »
I'm sure there's some duplicates, just didn't track them all. I had upgraded from Libre Office to Office 2010 and it only wanted to run in "compatibility mode" after it crashed. I used to be good at data entry, but these PC's lack a "real enter" key  ;) I had on my mainframe 3276 screen (it must be the reason..)

Perhaps the URL and the channel name should be in their own columns, and IIRC, a replicated formula in another column could assemble the final string as output. Member name in bold, if present, and comments could be assembled in the same way, but with a character limit on comments. I am unable to donate time for another week, but maybe an assortment can be added to the list.

As I mentioned, I think the channels that offer the most usefulness are the mid-sized ones.. Somehow they've gotten past mechanics of presentation and rendering and are able focus on content and often link to hack-a-day pages, personal websites, or code and git sources. Lectures are good while they remain, but I've found some can be uploaded by special needs students against policies of the institution.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 01:20:15 am by Cliff Matthews »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2017, 03:47:22 am »
Just catching up...

Cliff has provided his workings to ez24 and myself and it is clear he has done a lot of work.  I've only had a quick look - and there are some duplicates I have found, but unless there are mass duplicates (which there doesn't appear to be) the list has grown too big for the limit as it stands.  I'll have a look and discuss what I find with Cliff and ez24 - and there may be some questions that get presented here.

In the mean time, anybody with additional suggestions can still post them here - but please understand that they may not be actioned for a while.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2017, 07:48:55 pm »
Another to add.. OhmsAtHome

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2017, 01:02:02 am »
Sorry I've not caught up with the spreadsheet.  Got a couple of priority projects in hand at the moment.

I've not forgotten.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2017, 02:41:50 am »
I am stuck on a couple of projects - and I haven't been able to put the time necessary to work through Cliff's effort, so I have made some structural changes to the spreadsheet to reduce character count and make life easier for whoever wants to use it.  ez24 .

Member links removed and Youtube URL formatting restructured to simplify data entry.

Latest sample:

Number  GeneralYouTube NameMember Name - Additional Info
Subs    Content+ URL link
1,000s
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2935TutorialsKhan AcademyEducational videos
2614MisckipkayPranks and how-to videos in the world!
1436MakeMake:Make: is loaded with exciting projects
1085MakeI Like To Make StuffMake all sorts of stuff, with all sorts of materials
1079TutorialsMITUniversity level courses
887EccentricElectroBOOMCraziness in engineering!
728ComputerComputerphileVideos all about computers and computer stuff
649MiscDIY PerksDIY projects on electronics, audio, and more!
548MiscThe Ben Heck ShowStep by step on all kinds of electronic projects
456MiscGreatScott!Electronics Tutorials, Projects and How To´s
417MiscThe 8-Bit GuyEducational content about retro technology
413KingEEVblogEEVblog - Center of this universe
399MiscAvEMisc
265MisciFixit VideoIn-depth video repair guides
265TutorialsAfrotechmodsStraight to the point electronics tutorial videos with practical examples
228RepairLouis RossmannTeaching electronics from a common sense perspective
208RepairTampatecHow to install & Fix it Tech channel
206MiscbigclivedotcomThe trashiest electronic channel on YouTube
204MiscAdafruitAdafruit store
190MiscThe Post ApocalypticChannel mainly focused on electrical and mechanical engineering

New versions of spreadsheet: Have been removed as they are obsolete.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:54:24 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf