Author Topic: DIY dummy load #01 - Introduction  (Read 1601 times)

Offline VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
DIY dummy load #01 - Introduction
« on: May 25, 2018, 12:13:20 am »
Here is the new video:

Looking forward to your comments and advice about enhancing the quality of the videos. Any suggestion is welcome.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
Re: DIY dummy load #01 - Introduction
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 03:57:13 am »
Fans suck and MCUs are overrated! Just go ahead. And I like your Dave-holding-a-white-board style.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 05:43:07 am »
I was going to say something about the first blue marker being hard to see - but I think you've already worked that one out.  The subsequent markers were absolutely fine.

The next thing is that there was a bit of echo in the audio.  It wan't much and there wasn't a problem understanding you, but I did notice.  There are a couple of ways of dealing with this.  Getting closer to the microphone is one - but sometimes that isn't practical, for example if you are using an on camera mic.  Another way is to hang something that absorbs sound - such as curtains.  If you want to try this, start by having a single drop covering part of one of the reflective surfaces (usually walls) that is reflecting sound into the microphone.  The amplitude of sound reflections can be reduced by moving further away from the reflecting surfaces - but if you have a limited lab space (as most do) this isn't going to be possible.

However - this is NOT a big thing, so don't lose any sleep over it.  You can still do videos like this and everyone will be able to hear.

One last thing - which, again, is not a big deal - is lighting.  The illumination on the whiteboard was very good throughout ... we could see it clearly, but your face was in shadow on occasions.  Having some better illumination of your face wouldn't hurt, IMO.  It need not be a light, just having a plain white surface behind the camera to reflect some of the room light would probably be enough.  This might also bring up the whiteboard a little better, too.

AGAIN, this is no big thing.  I am being picky.  What you are doing is more than good enough to keep going - so don't let these comments slow you down!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:44:47 am by Brumby »

Offline VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 01:26:01 pm »
Fans suck and MCUs are overrated! Just go ahead. And I like your Dave-holding-a-white-board style.

Hahahaha... they don't suck and overrated. I just didn't want to make the project more complicated than it should. A better and more complex project is going to be an update to this one in the future.

Glad to hear you liked the holding style.

The next thing is that there was a bit of echo in the audio.

Because I used the internal mic which is far from me, next time I will use my external mic.

The illumination on the whiteboard was very good throughout ... we could see it clearly, but your face was in shadow on occasions.

I didn't master the white balance stuff in my camera yet, although I did good in the previous video. The room I am in has neon lights above so the only option could be putting some small LED lights on the bench shelves to make more light from back or something.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 04:15:01 pm »
Hahahaha... they don't suck and overrated. I just didn't want to make the project more complicated than it should. A better and more complex project is going to be an update to this one in the future.

But fans suck. Yes, sir, they do. Or blow, depending on the point of view. Elon Musk said recently that humans are "underrated". That's the origin of the joke.

Glad to hear you liked the holding style.

I was inspired by your posts to announce my videos on this board.

I didn't master the white balance stuff in my camera yet, although I did good in the previous video. The room I am in has neon lights above so the only option could be putting some small LED lights on the bench shelves to make more light from back or something.

Brumby's suggestion is brilliant. Just hang a white bed sheet behind the camera and you're done. I think this is a classic technique called three-point lighting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting

I also struggled with lighting until I discovered it.

Then I learned how to control the exposure value (EV) of the camera, which is set by default as automatic. By locking the exposure to an optimal value for each scene I could get the right balance between dark and light patches of the image. With automatic EV the camera seems to adjust the exposure to the brightest areas, rendering the darker spots even darker. This technique I learned, again, with Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf