Author Topic: Glue Gun Hack - Adding a Power Switch & LED  (Read 1530 times)

Offline made2hackTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Made2Hack

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Glue Gun Hack - Adding a Power Switch & LED
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:27:43 pm »
A neat idea if you have a glue gun permanently plugged in.  I've never felt the need for a switch ... but, then, I don't use the glue gun all that often.

There is one part of your construction method that I would do differently - and that relates to your aerial soldering.  I would twist wires and leads together (as much as would be reasonable) before applying solder.  I would do this for most situations - but most certainly for mains wiring.  This not only provides some mechanical connection between the pieces, but it also allows for a larger bonding area for solder to flow through.  It is also quicker to solder, especially when you have 3 or more things you want to connect at the one point.

There is one reservation I have, though, and that relates to safety.  If the switch were to suffer a mechanical failure, then any exposed metalwork could become live.  I do realise that the element is contained within a metal body - but that will have been tested and compliant against the appropriate standard (assuming that the glue gun is an "approved" model).  This switch represents a defeat of the double insulation design that is typically used in these glue guns.  I would have preferred a switch with only plastic parts exposed to the operator.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Glue Gun Hack - Adding a Power Switch & LED
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 11:37:09 pm »
I built a small version of Adam Savages glue gun setup 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf