Author Topic: Guy makes 8-bit computer on his breadboards, using just digital logic  (Read 2813 times)

Online MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor
 A guy makes 8-bit computer on his breadboards, using just digital logic.
I.e. No Microprocessors or Microcontrollers used. Just digital logic chips.
Unfortunately/sadly there is not as much details, such as schematics. As I would like, at the moment. (As far as I could tell).

For more videos, please see his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/eaterbc/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=p

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:44:58 pm by MK14 »

The following users thanked this post: CJay, iaeen

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
Re: Guy makes 8-bit computer on his breadboards, using just digital logic
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:24:14 pm »
Love it :) As you could probably guess.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 06:30:23 am »

I added him to the list  :-+

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/dd/msg1093983/#msg1093983

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 09:51:26 am »

I added him to the list  :-+

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/dd/msg1093983/#msg1093983

He's got a number of other GOOD electronics/logic/computer-electronics videos, and seems to be making more. It's a good idea adding him, Thanks!

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline iaeen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 12:45:28 am »
Unfortunately/sadly there is not as much details, such as schematics. As I would like, at the moment. (As far as I could tell).

Have you watched his "building an 8-bit breadboard computer" playlist? I've been watching it most of the day, but I'm still not that far into it. It's not exactly a schematic, but plenty of fascinating details.

Online MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 08:25:04 am »

Have you watched his "building an 8-bit breadboard computer" playlist? I've been watching it most of the day, but I'm still not that far into it. It's not exactly a schematic, but plenty of fascinating details.

Yes, I've also been going through more of his playlist. It DOES, gradually shed more and more light (from what I've seen so far), on the details. I'm rather impressed with the quality of his presentations, overall. Even though he is discussing stuff which I already know tons about, and don't really need to know much more about. I find it very entertaining to watch and refresh my knowledge.

I'm FLABBERGASTED, that its sum total of program memory and operating (for variables) memories total 16 bytes!
But that allows its 8 bits, to be split into 4 bit instructions (up to max of 16), and a 4 bit parameter nibble. Which so far seems to either be an address (within its ginormous 16 byes of address space, 2^4), or a 4 bit immediate number parameter.
Yet it is enough for somewhat complicated (demonstration) programs such as Fibonacci series, on a really, really cute blue LED seven segment display.

I wonder what his background is. If he details it, I've not seen any mention about it yet.

Just to put it into amazing perspective.
The total program and ram for variables space = total of 16 bytes.

The (not yet released), Intel Skylake EP (upcoming server processor), will hopefully have the latest SIMD instruction set called AVX-512 (AVX3 was the old name). Which will effectively give it a maximum accumulator size of 512 bits = 64 Bytes!

tl;dr
So the latest (when released Intel server and probably later domestic) cpu will have four times as much "ram" per accumulator (SIMD accumulator/registers) than his computer. Which is just amazing!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:54:46 am by MK14 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf