Author Topic: Help Starship Sofa get better  (Read 1688 times)

Offline SeanBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Help Starship Sofa get better
« on: March 05, 2017, 06:08:59 pm »
Tony C Smith, the owner and creator of a pretty good free audio book system, is looking for a little help in reaching his Kickstarter goal.
Interested in or listen to SF, horror or fantasy, and want to help a little to get him to his goal?

Go to www.starshipsofa.com, have a listen, and see if you want to help him reach his goal.

Offline SeanBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Help Starship Sofa get better
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:18:58 am »
It's over, and here is the message from Tony.

We’ve made it!
And what an exciting month! I want to thank each and every one of you for your support – pledges, signal boosts, emails and messages, and kind thoughts. You’ve made this all possible, and together we’ve raised £10,773! Everyone: Worlds Without Walls is going to happen, including everything up to the £10,000 stretch goal, and it’s going to be just fantastic!
Right from the first inspiration (well… my rant, I suppose, but I’ve heard a whole lot of you were thinking and feeling the same kinds of things in the face of world events these days), to the idea of the anthology, and then putting up the Kickstarter – that part was all kind of done in one big whirl…
And then there was the 30 days of the fundraising campaign. It was just so amazing… it seemed to capture the imagination for a lot of you, and I got messages every day from all over voicing support and offering new ideas. Diverse writers kept on coming on board – we have Lavie Tidhar and Hal Duncan who are just top-notch writers in the field that we’ve known for a long time, and we have so many others from all over the world that are just going make this anthology something so special… no, more than that… so IMPORTANT!
And then we had Samuel R. Delany agree to let us print one of his stories. That was what really took us up and over in the last week of the Kickstarter. I can’t thank Chip enough for allowing us to use one of his stories, and to have him as one of the grandfathers of diversity in speculative fiction in our anthology. Skyboat Media was so excited, they even chimed in saying they want to produce the audio for his story. That is simply amazing. Thank you, thank you Chip Delany.
Well… I’ll be honest. I kind of put let’s say a little pressure on our own Robyn Bradshaw to put our request to Chip in the first place. And bless her, she went for it.
I’ll tell you a little story here: our old friend Robyn first came to the StarShipSofa all of 10 years ago when me and Ciaran aired one of our earliest about Samuel R. Delany. Robyn was just the hugest fan of Chip’s, so his name is what caught her attention. Robyn has been with us ever since, and as a part of our community she’s even managed to make a little bit of a connect with the man himself. Well done, Robyn, and thank you. Now pour yourself a cup of tea and rest up – you’ll have my next favour to ask in your inbox shortly. ;)
Yes, now I know that the real work begins - but now that the funds are raised and I know this project is a go, I’m just struck by what this all means. We are onboard our generation ship, and she is called Everyone. We’re off to build Worlds Without Walls – I can only hope what we are doing stands as an example for how we embrace and celebrate ALL of our neighbours, in all our rich diversity, here on planet earth. From my heart, thank you everyone (Everyone!), for helping the Kickstarter to succeed, and standing together to support the heart and values of the District of Wonders.
I want to just give a special shout out to Dee Cunniffe, Robyn Bradshaw and for all of your hard work and support. We couldn’t have done it without you.
Best,
Tony

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf