Author Topic: Hitachi Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) Teardown  (Read 15988 times)

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
Re: Hitachi Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) Teardown
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 03:22:05 pm »
First, i am interested in the se-detector and in two of the 3 pol connector because i am building my own sem and my two se detectors that i have can't move to adjust the distance relative to the sample.
Look at the flag under my Knorrig avatar. Its second largest city with the largest number of electron microscope manufacturers in the world. The smaller one, surrounded by forest. :)
Is your company related to ThermoFischer?

hi Eric, someone else already asked for the secondary electron detector, sorry! If they decide they don't want it i'll drop you a message

Offline DCtoDaylight

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 03:34:02 pm »
That would be nice. But what is with the 3 pol connector? I have a "Turbo.Drive TD400" for controlling my turbomolecularpump and these connectors are no longer produced.

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 03:41:36 pm »
That would be nice. But what is with the 3 pol connector? I have a "Turbo.Drive TD400" for controlling my turbomolecularpump and these connectors are no longer produced.

i am not sure which connector you mean, can you let me know where in the video you saw it?

Offline DCtoDaylight

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 03:58:03 pm »

i am not sure which connector you mean, can you let me know where in the video you saw it?
I added images from the TD400.
And please forgive my questions but are the electron optics still available (focus, deflection, astigmatism corrector)?

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 04:34:02 pm »
i have not seen any connectors like that but if i spot one i will save it.

the beam focusing etc should be located in the column that was removed in the last part of the video, the x/y scanning coils i think are still mounted to the top sample chamber which is visible when i remove the column.

the column is still in once piece so i don't know how it's going to disassemble, some of the coil assembles maybe recoverable. I won't really know until i take it apart.

Offline DCtoDaylight

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 06:20:42 pm »
I could be wrong, but the connector in the panel looks very similar. (This is the product number: Hirose HS16P-3) Don't invest to much time.
It would be perfect if you could safe the coils but just don't care if its too complicated to disassemble. Nevertheless the deflaction module would be nice to have for my project.

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2017, 06:32:38 pm »
ahh yes i see it!

mounted on that panel it should be easy to remove

your home made SEM, do you have any pictures of it? i'd be interested to see it!

Offline Trax

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2017, 05:52:37 am »
I would be interested in the x ray detector,
I think its just some scintilator material + photomultiplyer
can you please post some photos of it?

cheers
Trax

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2017, 02:52:51 pm »
I would be interested in the x ray detector,
I think its just some scintilator material + photomultiplyer
can you please post some photos of it?

cheers
Trax

yes i think your right that it's a PMT with scintillation material in front of it, when i get to that part it will be featured in the video of course, probably in part 3, i can take pictures of it as well

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 09:09:03 pm »
here is part 2, teardown of the electron column. The gun, focusing and stigmatism coils etc

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2017, 08:53:24 am »
dismantling continues... the diffusion pump & baffles have now been removed,  i'll do a final video once i have the remaining significant parts off the machine and run through them quickly

i removed the final coils from the sample chamber yesterday, these should have been in the column video but they way i removed the column meant they were left behind so here are some pics of it.

The tip of the cone is the final exit point of the electron beam before it hits the sample, on the end there is an additional steel conical assembly with a small brass aperture clipped to it which is just attached to the main body of the coil assembly, inside the main body there is a large focusing coil and a smaller coil former make from ptfe which i think is the scanning coils and another stigmatism control coil. I can't disassemble this further as someone has asked to have it.

The focusing coil is larger than the other one, it's indicated as 16ohms DC resistance. Both the focusing coils have a 'T' marking on them 900T for the smaller and 1500T for the larger one, i wonder if this is the number of turns?

The crushed part of the metal tube on the conical piece of metal was done when i removed the column incorrectly

Offline madsbarnkob

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2017, 11:38:51 am »
The focusing coil is larger than the other one, it's indicated as 16ohms DC resistance. Both the focusing coils have a 'T' marking on them 900T for the smaller and 1500T for the larger one, i wonder if this is the number of turns?

That is a normal way of indicating the number of turns in a coil.

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2017, 07:49:28 am »
ok, here is the final part with the bits i have saved, i'll track down all those people who wanted the parts:

Offline albert22

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2017, 10:09:52 pm »
Thanks for your interesting videos, including many others besides the sem teardown.
Take care with that beer in your desk it seems that was slowly evaporating  :-DD
Regards

The following users thanked this post: dexters_lab

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2017, 08:22:04 am »
Thanks for your interesting videos, including many others besides the sem teardown.
Take care with that beer in your desk it seems that was slowly evaporating  :-DD
Regards

Not that slowly :)

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2017, 12:15:19 pm »
That small box with relays and the high ohms resistors likely also contains a high grade OP to make it a really sensitive trans-impedance amplifier, good for currents in the pA range.

Offline aseok

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2020, 01:28:44 pm »
Hi
What is the alloy composition of the this sem main column? i know that it is steel but i need more detail.
Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf