Author Topic: Looking for some feedback Youtube Blog  (Read 26007 times)

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Re: Looking for some feedback Youtube Blog
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2016, 03:52:04 am »
Oh yeah, I won't get buried in it. :) I purchased a couple cheapy mics, I know the quality may not be the best, but I want to see what type would work best for me, one is stereo condensed, the lapelle wired and then it's a I think around 4 inch flexible wire. which would put it closer to me. These are just to play with and see what I can put up with and what I like better, I didn't want to spend a lot on something I may not use.  I don't really like the idea of having wires attached. I'm pretty clumsy and would likely pull at it unintentionally.

It's not something I'm too focused on, just something I will work on over time, I know what I am doing now is miles better than before at the very least then from where I started. :)

I had a comment from someone I watch regularly, so that was really cool. Part of the reason I am doing it, I have more time than money so I can show things I can't send them and share other things with everyone. So that is just awesome and neat! Might sound a little silly, but it's nice to be able to do.  :-+

Make a video on cheap mics for YT
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: imidis

Offline imidisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2016, 04:20:35 am »
Will do, really curious of the results from them, my expectations aren't too high, but who knows.
Gone for good

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2016, 06:17:55 am »
My comments were just to set out some ideas, in case they might be of some help.

Just enjoy what you do - and your audience will, too.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2016, 11:35:35 am »
Hmm, that may not have come out right I know and I do appreciate the ideas and things to try!  ;D Cause I don't really know the best solution. 

I just wanted to share the comment I got on a video, it made my day!  They didn't comment to quality, just that they appreciated me posting a particular one.
Gone for good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2016, 12:19:49 am »
My forum foo fails me lately...  :palm:

But I did remember the... Pointer! :)

https://youtu.be/iBOhlb_Ez6Y

I never know how much to leave out or include, but I figure those who are interested may want to see most everything...
Gone for good

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2016, 02:53:40 am »
But I did remember the... Pointer! :)

:-+  It makes it so much easier to point to things like individual pins, doesn't it!  I think this is especially helpful to keep viewers interested while you talk about the setup.

Don't forget ... if you want to use a pointer on a powered circuit - it might be an idea to get a non-conducting one.

I wouldn't worry too much about the foo.  Keep doing the videos, keep the fun and the foo will find you.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2016, 03:11:08 am »
Yeah, and every time I see myself point with fingers I go  :palm:

Hehe, it does make it a lot better!  :)

Thank you, I will do!
Gone for good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2016, 07:57:13 pm »
I was trying to prioritize what I was uploading as my upload bandwidth  was half a meg, but getting an increased amount soon! (ISP was giving a discount deal) Really happy about that, took 3 hours or so to upload a 20 minute video. That's another headache gone.   :)

I've had some doh moments like forgetting to screen capture during a video and realizing one video I forgot to focus on.  :palm: I do like the manual AF/AE it does look better, just one of those habits to get into.
Gone for good

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2016, 08:37:23 pm »
I was trying to prioritize what I was uploading as my upload bandwidth  was half a meg, but getting an increased amount soon! (ISP was giving a discount deal) Really happy about that, took 3 hours or so to upload a 20 minute video. That's another headache gone.   :)

I've had some doh moments like forgetting to screen capture during a video and realizing one video I forgot to focus on.  :palm: I do like the manual AF/AE it does look better, just one of those habits to get into.

I do not know what size files you are uploading but I sure hope you watched Dave's video, especially the part about Handbrake.  It would be nuts not to use it.  For a YT beginner you have lasted longer than most do, so keep up the good work.  FYI I do not know your ability but I think there is a lack of good quality videos on MCUs.  I have some ideas if you are interested.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2016, 11:18:06 pm »

I do not know what size files you are uploading but I sure hope you watched Dave's video, especially the part about Handbrake.  It would be nuts not to use it.  For a YT beginner you have lasted longer than most do, so keep up the good work.  FYI I do not know your ability but I think there is a lack of good quality videos on MCUs.  I have some ideas if you are interested.

Thank you for the encouragement :) Yeah, Handbrake since video #1 was just slow upload speed.

MCU's  - I find them fascinating and I'm learning as I go, definitely something that interests me and love to share what I learn to help others. I'm definitely open to ideas there. :)
Gone for good

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2016, 12:52:55 am »
If you do not know there are only 2 YT search criteria (called filters) on time.  One is less than 4 min and the other is over 20 min.  This really sucks.   When I look for something I always start with over 20 min.  When I am trying to learn something I hate finding 10 sec videos on it.

So I suggest you make over 20 min videos.  Dave is very successful and he does long videos.  Not every one agrees.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2016, 01:34:46 am »
Wow, I never tried filtering! Okay, I see. Yeah I gave up on making short ones, I'm just not capable of condensing down. When I started watching youtube videos, I found some things I wasn't interested in then got ideas from how to use it , or do things getting more interested (leds, arduinos,mcu's etc. So if someone is truly interested, they will watch. Providing it's not too dull.

I have a couple hurdles, cheap is one of them as I don't have big bucks to spend, another one is time. I order most stuff from Aliexpress so delivery takes a couple weeks to months depending. The cheap part is good I think, the more affordable it is to get into the stuff the better as well as the tools to do them. I don't have much fancy gear.

I don't tend to worry about what I get working together, I just have the fun in figuring out how to make it all work together and do things I want to accomplish and share.

The bandwidth problem is solved 8 mins for a 20ish min video a lot better. So now I can make longer ones and upload.

I do agree, longer isn't bad. Especially if it's something your interested in. Every time I see an oscilloscope video I think  :palm: daves done quite a few, then on the other hand if I could afford one I would probably have more interest  :) (maybe one day)

So any particular interest? I've got a few things on my list but will work what I can in where I can. It's worth it if one person can listen to me long enough to learn something. :)
Gone for good

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2016, 02:25:16 am »
So any particular interest?

I would start a new post with a title like :  Looking for Youtube video suggestions

or something like this

I think Dave did it once but I do not remember what happened.  If you do this, let us know here so we do not miss it.

I like the Aliexpress items idea.

Come up with a name or something to start the video title with that is easy to remember in order for people to search on.  This is very important.

Look at Dave, he starts his with EEVBlog, so if someone forget to bookmark then all they have to do is search on eevblog.  Then he adds a number.  If you want to do this as a way to earn an income, you need to study the masters.  He uses 7 chars so I would try and use 8 or less.  Also always use all chars in the title, you do not know what people search on.  So if you fill in the title someone might find you.  TTE is too short.  Try a name out by searching on it and look at the results.

Do you have a blog or website?

I have some ideas that I will later PM you.  I have posted them in the past and got ridiculed.  You must remember most members here are advance and my ideas were too basic.  I would try to find other forums for more ideas.

If you do start a new post asking for ideas, list the equipment you have so people can get an idea on what you can do. 

Also remember since there are millions of YT videos, it is tuff to stand out.  But I think it is possible to slowly build up something.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2016, 06:09:14 am »
Sounds good, I'm not trying to make money off it. So that is a bonus, I am buying things and putting together kits to see if I can make some extra money, but not promoting them anywhere and don't plan to, plus I get to play with the... "samples" I mean my test items.... Yes.. And make videos.

The website, I'm just not sure its needed yet. I have a host, but I'll just see where it goes. If enough people were asking for files I might bother. But for now.. I'll just wait. Can't spend much money anyways so have to spread it out. PM sore sure. :)
Gone for good

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2016, 07:15:59 am »
Someone told me a long time ago - it is hard to work for free.  If you could make some money it might encourage you to continue making videos. 

I came across a new YTer awhile ago that had a clever idea.  He set up an account with a website like Patreon  (Dave uses it).  For $1 a month he sent them a PDF of his hand written notes for the month.   He was making about $100 a month on this.  He had another "reward" but I cannot remember what it was.   I am sure I subscribed to him but I have over 100 of them but I am looking for him.  The important thing is how he informed people of this.  I saw it immediately but I do not remember how he did it - sorry.    I think maybe he put a link in the video.  Study how Dave does it.

Try to make money.  It will help with getting stuff and tools and give you more time to do things you like.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2016, 06:54:44 pm »
Someone told me a long time ago - it is hard to work for free.  If you could make some money it might encourage you to continue making videos. 

I came across a new YTer awhile ago that had a clever idea.  He set up an account with a website like Patreon  (Dave uses it).  For $1 a month he sent them a PDF of his hand written notes for the month.   He was making about $100 a month on this.  He had another "reward" but I cannot remember what it was.   I am sure I subscribed to him but I have over 100 of them but I am looking for him.  The important thing is how he informed people of this.  I saw it immediately but I do not remember how he did it - sorry.    I think maybe he put a link in the video.  Study how Dave does it.

Try to make money.  It will help with getting stuff and tools and give you more time to do things you like.

It would be nice to make money doing something you like. I don't think I'm near there. I'm doing it to help occupy my time, share with others, I will keep going and if up the road I could even just to be able to get more stuff to play with & make more videos, that would be a bonus.

Gone for good

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2016, 02:10:40 am »
Sensible approach.

If you try to head for a monetized channel, the fun could go out of it real quick.  Keep it fun - and if it heads into money making territory, then think about it.

Not having been in that position, I cannot speak from experience, but it seems to me that you should be careful if that situation does come about.  Changes to any one of a number of factors could affect the appeal of your videos.  Losing the 'fun' element would be a big one, IMO.

However, I expect by the time you get there (if you do) you will have a reasonable feel for what works.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2016, 03:57:15 am »
Yeah, that is true. I really like doing the videos, I can explore what I like to and I'm not sure how much appeal I might have. I know people watch and appreciate them at least some. And I don't really have to worry about what I need to focus on, it's what I want to focus on. If they like it or learn something that's awesome! :) Even if I learn something from them it's worth while!

From watching others I know I had less interest in some subjects and things than others then in some cases gained interest in them later then watch those types of videos more.

Oh and ez24, I have a pretty light collection: Multimeter, Soldering Iron x2 and 1 hot air station + general tools. I've only been playing with Atmels so far but open to more provided the programmers and be purchased cheaply. :) On the plus side, I get a little creative doing stuff when I don't have the proper tools if I can figure out a way.  :)

Oh and if I could bother an opinion on lighting, I'm struggling with this a little, the setup I have I only have two options - magnify light on or off for close up? Gets a little tricky cause my lamp is so low. It's not too horrible until I run near a really reflective surface. I might be able to block of a section of the light as well. Maybe that is a good compromise.

And always appreciate any help!

22:42 I play with the lighting
https://youtu.be/VkBv7F7f_Hk
Gone for good

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2016, 04:52:43 am »
Try a diffuser of some sort.  The idea is to spread the light source over a wide area so you don't get 'hot spots'. 

The reflection that annoys is nothing more than excessive illumination on that particular location - that pushes the luminance right up into the maximum of the camera, giving the 'white-out' result.  If you close down the aperture of the camera, you will see the detail quite clearly - but the rest of the scene will be too dark.

By spreading the light source around, the reflections are also spread around.  This gives more even lighting, less obvious shadows and can significantly reduce - if not eliminate - 'hot spots'.

You can get "Light tents".  I feel they would tend to be a bit confining.  They can be a little costly, but you might want to check them out, if for no other reason as to see how they work.

We have translucent milk bottles here that I have used in some still photography on some small subjects - but I am looking at grabbing the next discarded LCD TV set I see and scavenging the diffuser sheets out of it.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2016, 05:16:24 am »
Try a diffuser of some sort.  The idea is to spread the light source over a wide area so you don't get 'hot spots'. 

These work well and are cheap

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Deluxe-HIWKLTCLAMPLIGHTM-8-5-Inch-Reflector/dp/B01E9IY6US/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1480482602&sr=8-4&keywords=clamp+light

you can point them anywhere to get reflected light thus diffused.   You can use wax paper over lights to diffuse the light.  If there is a Costco near you they sell a good LED work light that would spread out the light

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2016, 06:40:42 am »
 Hmm, I like those lights I'll have to pick some up at some point. I'll also have to make a diffuser, it's a circular light with a magnifying glass in the middle. I've got the camera just a around 4 or 5 inches above on the close shots. I use the magnifying glass so I'll look for something I can cut and attach.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:42:42 am by imidis »
Gone for good

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2016, 08:27:40 am »
I haven't watched #35 in whole or with much attention since it is 1:30AM here, but if you are having problems and nothing seems obviously wrong with the pcb, check the AC adapter.  A lot of these AC adapters run 24x7 and possibly hot.  You may have an obviously bad capacitor or a lot of ripple due to old caps?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:04:37 pm by retiredcaps »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2016, 08:30:06 am »
Also it looks like your router can run openwrt.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700

I run openwrt on my router at home.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2016, 09:45:35 am »
Hmm, didn't think of that possibility. Yeah, I'll do a power supply tear down as well. Sorry for it being long, a fair few chips on there. I'll try and tweak them in the future to see if I can shorten them up.  :)

And yeah. Will flash openwrt if I get it working properly. Been a long time since that ones had a F/W update
Gone for good

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2016, 06:05:32 pm »
Hmm, didn't think of that possibility. Yeah, I'll do a power supply tear down as well. Sorry for it being long, a fair few chips on there. I'll try and tweak them in the future to see if I can shorten them up.  :)
Length doesn't bother me. At 1:30AM in the morning, I just can't focus.  :=\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf