Author Topic: Martin Lorton's back (and filming from Black Mountain NC)  (Read 7977 times)

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Martin Lorton's back (and filming from Black Mountain NC)
« on: March 08, 2018, 06:46:05 pm »
For anyone who'd like to hear his update (and maybe give him a warm shout-out!)

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, BillyD, ez24, Electro Detective

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: Martin Lorton's back (and filming from Black Mountain NC)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 07:52:03 pm »
I was once a keen follower of Martin's but he lost me after R&S were kind enough to give him two very nice oscilloscopes for review with one to be given away and for all intents and purposes he did neither. He even remarked about giving the second unit to his own maker space and made little or no effort to keep the people who followed him informed, I rarely if ever criticise anybody either but this person earned it.

:--

The following users thanked this post: 3db

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 08:05:31 pm »
I was once a keen follower of Martin's but he lost me after R&S were kind enough to give him two very nice oscilloscopes for review with one to be given away and for all intents and purposes he did neither.

Didn't he just give one away and explain the delay or did I miss something?  I do not follow him so I do not know the details.  But I give the guy credit for trying and hanging in there.  Also I liked the way he picked the winner.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 08:13:05 pm »
I've seen some of his videos. I'll probably watch this later because, iirc, he was another one to blather on endlessly...

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 08:57:43 pm »
one to blather on endlessly...

This is why he did not make it on my lists.  I was not sure if anyone else felt the same, so I am glad to hear that I am not alone.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 09:53:18 pm »
What's with the MJL bashing?   :-//

Have some of the slammers tried to source equipment, get up to speed with it during a brief loan period, then shoot the type of informative video/s that MJL puts out?  :popcorn:

Yes, his videos could be quite long  :=\  and very DETAILED  :-+ :-+  but he always made note of that and why,

and urged viewers to either fast forward to the parts of interest, or basically "take it or leave it" 

The gent isn't piercing 5KV megohm insulation test probes into anyones skull to watch his videos    :o

FWIW A few years ago, my gear update considerations were based on watching both Youtubers Dave Jones EEVblog and Martin J. Lorton's teardowns, tests, pros and cons, thumbs up/down...you know the drill   

What points Dave may not have hit on, Martin did, and vice-versa, both reviewers pulling no punches on decent or dud gear    :clap: :clap:

Both Youtubers were/are THE 'go to' of equipment reviews before I click on to other Youtube offerings 

I could care less about 'another' scope giveaway some vendor is flogging, that may or may not have gone south for whatever reason.
If I need that scope desperately, I'll save my pennies and go buy one,
or just get over it and buy/use whatever works
...rather than suspect foul play on a competition that may not have been applicable to my country and unlikely to win anyway  :palm:   

i.e. get real and give the guy a break, it's not good form to publicly hose someone for one blunder,
'if' that was the case, which no one knows for sure 100%    :-//

The following users thanked this post: bitwelder, BillyD, geekGee, Cliff Matthews, HecticZA

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 10:20:01 pm »
I was once a keen follower of Martin's but he lost me after R&S were kind enough to give him two very nice oscilloscopes for review with one to be given away and for all intents and purposes he did neither.
Didn't he just give one away and explain the delay or did I miss something?  I do not follow him so I do not know the details.  But I give the guy credit for trying and hanging in there.  Also I liked the way he picked the winner.
Yeah - it took a while but he did give it away. I was close too - I spotted my name only 5 away from the winner on his spreadsheet.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 10:21:00 pm »
I've seen some of his videos. I'll probably watch this later because, iirc, he was another one to blather on endlessly...

I just did a 45min review a crypto hardware wallet  ;D

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 10:23:53 pm »

Seriously? I have a bridge to sell you...

Sorry but all of that pantomime of using "photons" and dragging the competition draw a day extra because not enough was being generated and other malarky, then the spreadsheet comes out and a very brief off hand comment about how he just randomised the name order of the participants with no method revealed whatsoever. Scroll down to a name (that could be his shill) that happens to be correct number  ::)

Ok, I'm a skeptic. I just don't understand why anyone would go to such trouble to make a random seed - and then not actually use it as such.

I mean, Dave does it right - he uses a proper random number gen (EEVblog open source Wobbulator :-DD ) and live streams it. I know Dave is legit because I won one of his comps!  :-+

I do quite like Martin even if his vid's do drone on for hours. I found I could fast forward to the interesting bits. So I welcome him back and am subscribed.

But he's a house husband living on his wifes income with nothing else to do - why didn't he build that shack much sooner?   >:D

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 10:35:19 pm »
But he's a house husband living on his wifes income with nothing else to do - why didn't he build that shack much sooner?   >:D

I thought that shack was his new home...  :phew:

I should not have said blather, don't want to cause a Goldilocks complex. Perhaps his videos had a bit too much "Rigor"...  :-DD

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 11:10:51 pm »
Thanks for the update, Cliff. It'll be interesting to see what he's up to these days.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Barryg41, Cliff Matthews

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 12:22:17 am »
I've been meaning to get on to his Solar Power/Inverter videos too   :-+ 

His style caters well for newbs and the Sorta Knowalls, so they are a bit long,
but let's face it, he pretty much tries to cover all bases
which saves the viewer having to click on other related videos to fill in the blanks

DJ goes all out too, pushing the boundaries of curiosity, pointing out dumbassery, testing gear to beyond its limits blowing s*** up  ;D

Watch both DJ and MJL Youtube reviews on the Fluke 28-11   :clap: :clap:

and then compare it to Fluke's promo Youtube vids...  ::)

The following users thanked this post: BillyD, Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 12:30:10 am »
one to blather on endlessly...

This is why he did not make it on my lists.  I was not sure if anyone else felt the same, so I am glad to hear that I am not alone.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166
I would submit that he be re-included (along with Marco Reps) regardless of our on the spot sentiments. I would also submit there is a point at which our opinions should be superseded by: 1) Public sentiment measured in subs count 2) Longevity of quality community contribution 3) Variety of interesting channel content 4) AFAIK, Dave never mentions this top-tier YouTuber with anything other than respect. OK sure some will take this with a grain of salt, but I ask naysayers to first review Martin's work on thermal imaging equipment.

The following users thanked this post: BillyD, ez24, gnavigator1007, Electro Detective

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 12:54:11 am »
For any YT videos that are longer than desired, try increasing the playback speed. There are many that I watch at 1.25X or 1.5X, and a few at 2.0X. It takes some getting used to, but you may be pleasantly surprised at what you're able to achieve (and how much time you save in the process).

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, ez24

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 01:04:54 am »
I always enjoyed Martin's videos. Glad to see him back. I like that he takes the approach of learning along with his audience. He's been receptive to criticism and has asked to be corrected by more knowledgeable viewers when he gets things wrong. He had removed some of his videos with the intention of reshooting them so as not to leave landmines of misinformation to people starting out. Seems he didn't get to do much if any of the reshooting with all the big changes happening in his life. I wish him luck and will definitely continue to watch his videos if he keeps making interesting content.

The following users thanked this post: Barryg41, BillyD, Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 01:09:53 am »
For any YT videos that are longer than desired, try increasing the playback speed.
There are many that I watch at 1.25X or 1.5X, and a few at 2.0X.
It takes some getting used to, but you may be pleasantly surprised at what you're able to achieve (and how much time you save in the process).

yep, works great   8) 

If I'm after something particular in a 40 minute video, I hover the mouse along the Time Bar at the bottom for a      ___<-sliding mini preview popup ->___   and click on to any point I desire

It can't be easier    :-+

Offline HecticZA

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 04:48:27 am »
I'm glad that he is back.
I've always enjoyed his content, especially the the beginner's content.

Maybe because I'm a Noob and don't have the attention span of a goldfish, I generally enjoy longer videos.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 04:59:33 am »
What's with the MJL bashing?   :-//

I'm sorry, but bashing?

Choosing not to watch or subscribe to a vlogger is not bashing, it is just a personal choice.

I am another who chose never to watch or subscribe to MJL's videos. Reasons:

1. He spoke much too slowly and made me run videos at x2 speed just to get a normal rate of information delivery
2. He did not appear to be an expert at anything he was talking about--as far as I could tell he was learning as he went along

I tried to watch one or two of his videos and quickly gave up. I doubt I will be watching any more of his videos any time soon.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 05:34:21 am »
1. He spoke much too slowly and made me run videos at x2 speed just to get a normal rate of information delivery

+1 , unsubscribed Martins quite while ago after he didn't make any improvements on his style and format, even though he was aware of many viewer feedbacks especially this one above as he mentioned it in one of his video.

His speech speed is way-way too slow even to non English native speaker like me. And adding to the 2nd point as IanB pointed, its becoming too boring as it feels like we're watching and accompanying him while he learned, in a really slow pace video.

As viewer, I feel the "value" I received is much less than the time spent watching him. On interesting video like new stuff, usually I rushly jumped/forwarded so many times at multiple points in his video to the information that I interested in still frame paused video, once I have enough info gathered, I stopped watching.

Other example, Syariar's is abit slow (at least for me), but his material is really densely packed with his deep knowledge and experiences, so its worth to spend watching from the beginning till the end.

Maybe its just me.  :-//
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:42:56 am by BravoV »

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 08:33:15 am »
I kinda liked Martin and what he was trying to do.
My problem with him is he didn't really have a grasp of the basics.
This is demonstrated  in his videos about the power supply he made and ones on his electronic load.

3db

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 09:57:28 pm »
It comes across as Youtuber bashing when based on watching one or two of his many excellent videos, then passing negative or meh judgement on the lot 

His learning journey (which he always made quite clear) on some items was honest and he followed through, which is great for newbs

and I didn't mind that format on his test gear reviews, where his "learning journey" uncovered equipment hype and or flaws,
and attracted lot more useful info from Youtube comments 

I also can't see why his videos wouldn't get a no brainer seal of approval at EEVblog, which is geared for electronics EEs, hobbyists, students, newbs

and "anyone interested in electronics..." 

For example, anyone clueless or experienced alike, can learn a lot from his Insulation Testing 'learning journey' videos

and his oscilloscope ones aren't too shabby either

I will be taking his 'learning journey' soon with his solar power videos, so I don't dent my credit card in the event I go that way, and I'm no newb on that stuff.

MJL gets a thumbs up from me  :-+ :-+ 

I could care less for a bit of extra waffle on Youtube videos, he's not even in the race compared to some blabtards with their silly opening splash frames and annoying background music, if you can call it that  :palm:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:59:58 pm by Electro Detective »

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 10:35:03 pm »
I could care less for a bit of extra waffle on Youtube videos, he's not even in the race compared to some blabtards with their silly opening splash frames and annoying background music, if you can call it that  :palm:

It's far more difficult than it seems to deliver just the right amount of content.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 01:14:26 pm »
the way he's videotapping his hew home may expose him to some danger, besides the natural disaster like landslide, got eaten by mummy bear etc. rule #1, dont let strangers have a clue of your whereabout, and dont get too cocky about the place you live. fwiw...
Perhaps if he emphasizes that mommy bear is often around, strangers will prefer to stay away  ;D

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 05:47:32 pm »
"No trespassing. Beware of bear."

I like it. :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 02:38:29 am »
I'm confident MJL has another item laying in wait to do a realtime review come demo

...on anyone paying him an unauthorized visit  >:D

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 10:29:58 am »

To be honest I completely forgot about the giveaway, only briefly did a wonder what MJlorton was doing these days.
Yes he did finally give one away in his contest, but in a way which wasn't equal chance for everyone. The watt output of a solar panel as a random number generator. Think I was 124, so unless it suddenly changed season, I didn't have a chance.

His videos are random in both content and release schedule, he promises videos on topics and reviews and doesn't deliver them.
I've come to the conclusion Martin is just unreliable. He could at least set himself a goal of releasing 1 video a month.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 11:44:06 pm »
That's a bit rough labelling him a slacker and unreliable, he's done stacks of videos and all the ones I've seen are excellent   :clap:

Anything so-so about his efforts he mentions up front, and let's face it, he has a life to get on with,
rather than focusing more time on more freebie Youtube videos that may not be giving him a fair return financially (or being shafted on the numbers game as it does with many tubers)

The thing that MJL gets right in my book is that he caters for the newbs and almost knowalls in the same video,
sharing his  -new equipment day-  journey with the viewer with digestable 'theory' and demonstration 
and revisits a product where appropriate

He's not in DJ's league  8)   nor does he claim to be 

You can do a lot worse on Youtube, some are tragic     :palm: :palm:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2018, 12:54:26 am »
While I appreciate the contents of his videos he has a habit of being incredibly long-winded, to the point where the videos become tedious to watch. Communicating effectively is as much about what you you leave out as it is about what you say. You could cut at least half of most videos without losing any actual content.

I think that's what sets the most successful Youtubers apart from the rest. It's not just subject matter and personality. Pacing is a very undervalued part of what makes or breaks a video. Both going too fast or too slow will cause people to tune out, but the latter seem to be more common on the Tube. It doesn't really help that a lot of people are obviously aiming to make videos of 10 minutes or more, even if the content doesn't warrant it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:05:01 am by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 03:58:49 pm »
..but I ask naysayers to first review Martin's work on thermal imaging equipment.
Woo, Déjà vu..
He's got his mittens on a new DT-9889 Thermal DMM, it's only 6000 counts and it'll likely sell > $400 (not a deal-breaker).

*edit - Specs clipped from site (not sure if this is final yet)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:41:19 pm by Cliff Matthews »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 11:18:53 pm »
The device may have a small internal flash memory, that is why it still can save pictures with external flash card removed and did not show error message.

Also Flir seemed to follow their practice to place the usb connector in awkward locations. In this case behind the battery and with the flip stand on the way of the cable.  :wtf:
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2018, 11:27:05 pm »
While I appreciate the contents of his videos he has a habit of being incredibly long-winded, to the point where the videos become tedious to watch. Communicating effectively is as much about what you you leave out as it is about what you say. You could cut at least half of most videos without losing any actual content.

That's always a debate about my videos and a claim people make.
But when I challenge them to try and edit one my videos, or go back and look myself, there is surprisingly little that can be taken out without losing actual content.
Of course there is debate over what content should be included, but that's another argument.
Sometimes after the edit I think "gee that's a lot longer than I expected" I go back though it and try to trim things out here and there, even removing some content, but I'd struggle to save say 5 minutes in a 35 minute video.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 12:25:35 am »
But when I challenge them to try and edit one my videos, or go back and look myself, there is surprisingly little that can be taken out without losing actual content.
Of course there is debate over what content should be included, but that's another argument.
Sometimes after the edit I think "gee that's a lot longer than I expected" I go back though it and try to trim things out here and there, even removing some content, but I'd struggle to save say 5 minutes in a 35 minute video.

I found Martin's main problem was always that he speaks way too slowly. If he spoke twice as fast he could reduce the running time by half at a stroke, with no need to cut any content at all.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2018, 01:01:32 am »
But when I challenge them to try and edit one my videos, or go back and look myself,
there is surprisingly little that can be taken out without losing actual content.

Sometimes after the edit I think "gee that's a lot longer than I expected"
I go back though it and try to trim things out here and there, even removing some content, but I'd struggle to save say 5 minutes in a 35 minute video.

I found Martin's main problem was always that he speaks way too slowly. If he spoke twice as fast he could reduce the running time by half at a stroke, with no need to cut any content at all.

DJ and MJL are Youtubers that already do more than enough to fill up a video with content, teardowns and comment/explanations,
why waste time on  more/less/fancy dialogue/blab, and head scratching just to trim a minute here and there,
that may take longer to do than the entire video shoot and original edit upload package   |O

It's time that takes away time from the next project,
and hey, these tubers aren't exactly operating from Hollywood sets with blockbuster budgets  :popcorn:

As for any DSO giveaway butthurt that may be lingering on... get over it guys  :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2018, 06:59:28 am »
DJ and MJL are Youtubers that already do more than enough to fill up a video with content, teardowns and comment/explanations,
why waste time on  more/less/fancy dialogue/blab, and head scratching just to trim a minute here and there,
that may take longer to do than the entire video shoot and original edit upload package   |O

Yes. If a 30 minute video takes say an hour to edit, then it could easily take another hour to try and trim 5 minutes off that. Many hours more if I have to go back re-shoot something to make it more concise etc.

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2019, 03:20:43 pm »
Another Black Mountain update from Martin. A lot more delays than anticipated, but he'll be producing episodes soon.. If Dave visits the US again, maybe he, Chris Gamel and Martin can do a few joint episode's :-+  I believe Shahriar lives close to NC too.

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG, BillyD

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2019, 01:24:54 am »
I never watched his channel again after seeing the power supply loop compensation disaster and poor construction. At first it seems interesting, someone who's going to attempt designing a circuit almost live on YT. Then you see a first glimpse of the schematic and you instantly know that something is awfully wrong while he keeps speaking with confidence. In a fit of curiosity you think that perhaps in the next episode some magic loop compensation trick will be presented. But you can only conclude that he doesn't understand why the design is a disaster and he deliberately choose to ignore viewers who pointed him into the right direction.

This ain't engineering at all and misleading too for people who came to his channel thinking they can learn something. But those channels quickly die off because it's probably very difficult to generate meaningful content about something you don't know to much about.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf