Author Topic: New Video: introduction to potentiometric mixers  (Read 1820 times)

Offline TheUnnamedNewbieTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
New Video: introduction to potentiometric mixers
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:23:42 pm »
Hi guys. I've been playing with the idea to try record some videos and have actually done so over the last few days. I still have a lot of work to do to improve it, because it did not turn out as well as it was in my head. I want to have more detail and depth to the video, it feels a bit rushed now. I also need to find a different way of recording audio. As is now, my lab is set up in the basement, where I also have servers and such for the home network running. When working, it doesn't bother me at all, but in video it is distracting. I'm thinking about doing theory stuff on a blackboard in the future.

However, I decided that instead of just canning the entire project again, I would upload it anyways - better to upload a not-so-great video than no video at all.

The video covers the potentiometric or triode mos mixer. It is a mixer often seen in integrated circuit designs. I will come back to this topic in the future if I continue making videos and try to make an improved more in-depth version. Let me know what you guys think.

I hope to cover some more "in-depth" stuff in my video, instead of the simple blink-a-LED videos all over youtube (no offense to them, but it's just not what I want to do). I'm thinking of doing a video on distributed element filters in the near future as well,

Again, I welcome feedback and let me know if you think this is something I should continue working on.

The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
Re: New Video: introduction to potentiometric mixers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:34:26 pm »
Youtube is full of stupid videos, but thanks to people like you, there is also a LOT of good and useful information.

So I say.....All the power to you!  :-+ :-+
And you are correct. One of the most tedious chores is the actual video editing. You know, removing the gaffes, the cuss words, the repetitiveness...and still make a coherent narrative.

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 03:27:09 pm »
I have never made an instructional video for youtube but I have watched many.  My instincts tell me that it is much harder to do a good one than meets the eye.  I taught for years as an adjunct as well as short courses, so I have some experience in front of a class.  With that being said...

I think you did a very good job staying on point.  Your pedagogical approach was sound--told me what you were going to teach me and how you would demonstrate it, then proceeded to do just that.  Presenting the theory, then math, then demonstration is always a great way to close the loop on a topic.

The analysis you did was not visible in the video, so you need to come up with a way to address that.  Maybe do a whiteboard like Dave does.

During your demonstration, you alluded to things that were not covered in the theory (e.g. intermodulation).  Be careful wafting off into details that will lose the student/viewer.  Showing the effects of overload were interesting, but, again, did not connect back to the theory you presented.

Overall, a good effort...keep it up!!

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 04:06:11 pm »
The audio on your video had a lot of background noise. Have the microphone closer to your mouth, raise your voice level and turn down the mic sensitivity.
Also the audio was "shrill" with too much high audio frequencies and "tinny" with not enough low audio frequencies. Get a better mic.
Your accent is noticeable but not bothersome.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 05:51:17 pm »
Excellent video!

I had a certain amount of difficulty reading the blue text.  This is a common problem in YouTube videos.  The author wants to make a point by using different colors and some just don't work well.  Font size and line width are also at play.  For me, black is the easiest to read.

Offline TheUnnamedNewbieTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 10:08:58 am »
The audio on your video had a lot of background noise. Have the microphone closer to your mouth, raise your voice level and turn down the mic sensitivity.
Also the audio was "shrill" with too much high audio frequencies and "tinny" with not enough low audio frequencies. Get a better mic.
Your accent is noticeable but not bothersome.

As I said in my discription here, audio is something I am working on. As it is now this was recorded with the built-in microphone on my DSLR. The reason the video has a lot of background noise is because my lab is in the same room as my servers (which I have a few of). They are quire loud and I can't just turn them off. I'm looking at possible solutions to this.

I am still a student so going about spending a lot of money on this is not something I am looking to do. Yes, it will result in lower quality videos, but for now I am fine with this.

Excellent video!

I had a certain amount of difficulty reading the blue text.  This is a common problem in YouTube videos.  The author wants to make a point by using different colors and some just don't work well.  Font size and line width are also at play.  For me, black is the easiest to read.

I think I am going to try and record the more theoretical part in front of a blackboard next time. That way I can more clearly build up what I am talking about and the contrast of color on black will also help, I imagine. But that board is in my bedroom and the lighting is very poor (the blackboard is glass and I use chalk pens. When looking at it with a camera right now, all you see is the reflection of the room. Edge lighting should fix this).

The analysis you did was not visible in the video, so you need to come up with a way to address that.  Maybe do a whiteboard like Dave does.

During your demonstration, you alluded to things that were not covered in the theory (e.g. intermodulation).  Be careful wafting off into details that will lose the student/viewer.  Showing the effects of overload were interesting, but, again, did not connect back to the theory you presented.

I have to admit, I underestimated the effort. I think this will also get better as I gain experience. I agree with you regarding the alluding to things that are not covered in the theory. I will try scripting more next time and I think this will also help in this regard.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf