Author Topic: News from Tinkertubes Lab  (Read 20433 times)

Offline YsjoelfirTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
News from Tinkertubes Lab
« on: August 31, 2016, 07:51:15 pm »
Hey everyone,

in this thread I will keep you updated about my recent tinkerworks. Please feel free to give me any advice you want, tell me how I can improve, what you liked about a specific video and/or what you didn't like.
Any comment is very appreciated since it helps me a lot to improve the overall quality of my videos.
I hope you have some fun watching, and if you do, please consider voting and subscribing to ma channel, that would be awesome!
See you at tinkertubes lab! http://www.tinkertubes.eu

[original text]
it's quite a while since my last thread at this part of the forum. As you know, I wasn't realy satisfied with the quality outcome of this voiceover attempt I made back then. Some things have changed, I got a better mic, much more light and a bit more self confidence, but still, I have no Idea if my english is that good.
Since I could'nt get a decent voiceover done, I tried it the other way around - speaking english while recording, which gave me some shivers at first. Even though I guess the outcome is... okay, I would love to hear your oppinions about this. Should I keep on doing it that way?  :-// Where can I improve?
Besides the voice, I am still not overly satisfied with the lighting, there are simply to much reflections. Any ideas how to get past that?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:16:45 pm by Ysjoelfir »
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

The following users thanked this post: CJay

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
I've had a quick look (listen) at the video, for a few minutes. Your English is good, and I had no difficulty at all, understanding it. It is maybe x10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 million times better than if I was to do a video in German!.

Old meters like that can be interesting. It is odd that it has a common positive connection. Could it be because I heard that (but have not experienced it), some old vehicles (cars), had positive (rather than the negative battery terminal) ground connections or common connections
I'm not sure how you are suppose to say/describe it. But anyway the + and -, are the opposite to what you would expect, compared to the chassis of the car.

Example:
http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/1934/what-are-the-tradeoffs-for-positive-vs-negative-ground
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:08:40 pm by MK14 »

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir, jonovid

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
As requested in the video, I think it possibly might have been a silicon diode (I could easily be wrong). Because a Copper Oxide (rectifier), would have also needed many stacks (been big), to cope with the high voltage, I think, but don't know much about Copper Oxide rectifiers.

The Silicon point contact diode, was invented in 1906, according to the following source:
http://www.jmargolin.com/history/trans.htm

But I don't know if it could have handled such high voltages for your 1930's+ meter.

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
Whilst your accent is quite strong - nothing wrong with that - your English is clear and understandable.  Your "flow" sounds very natural too  :-+

The audio is fine for this type of video - after all, you are chatting away about electronic gear, not singing opera!  (I know some people do get bothered by the audio on all videos though)

Lighting could still do with some work though.

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
Hi, the most classical way to eliminate reflections in glass is to use a polarizing filter on the lens.  These are not expensive and work well in high contrast scenes in landscapes, but also for what you are doing.

Your English is flawless so keep up the good work.  Don´t think twice, its alright.

Hasta luego.

nico

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Polarizing lenses are good for many reflections, but not specular ones (mirror like).  Lighting position and the angle things are positioned combine to cause the problems you get.  Just experiment with these and you'll soon learn where the best place is for your lights and how you hold the subject.

Don't worry AT ALL about your English!  Yes, there is a strong accent - but I got used to it very quickly.

I notice you have audio compression on your microphone.  This is an excellent move in itself - but be aware that when you clicked the range switch with the meter close to the microphone, the compression kicked in and didn't release for a good second.  When you did multiple clicks, your voice was inaudible.

For comments, I wouldn't use the outline font.  Yes it's pretty, but it's just that little bit harder to read - and what it's saying is more important.

The only other things I noticed were only because I was watching critically .. and even those are things that will be addressed by a bit of experience and more confidence in yourself.  Seriously - they are not even worth mentioning.

As a general comment on your efforts - KEEP GOING!

• Frequent Contributor
Hi everyone and thanks for your kind words! That realy helps me keeping myself motivated :)
Since SWMBO is a nice girl from Texas I asked her family to comment, too, and well.. their comments were very simmilar to yours, so I guess I don't have to be that worried about being understandable :)
I guess I will keep on doing most of my videos in english, trying to make a german voiceover afterwards, at least that seems so much easier to me.

Regarding your comments not regarding the speech:
Old meters like that can be interesting. It is odd that it has a common positive connection. Could it be because I heard that (but have not experienced it), some old vehicles (cars), had positive (rather than the negative battery terminal) ground connections or common connections
I'm not sure how you are suppose to say/describe it. But anyway the + and -, are the opposite to what you would expect, compared to the chassis of the car.

Example:
http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/1934/what-are-the-tradeoffs-for-positive-vs-negative-ground
That could be possible, as the time period would fit. On the other hand, maybe it has to do with the old discussion about technical/physical direction of current?

As requested in the video, I think it possibly might have been a silicon diode (I could easily be wrong). Because a Copper Oxide (rectifier), would have also needed many stacks (been big), to cope with the high voltage, I think, but don't know much about Copper Oxide rectifiers.

The Silicon point contact diode, was invented in 1906, according to the following source:
http://www.jmargolin.com/history/trans.htm

But I don't know if it could have handled such high voltages for your 1930's+ meter.
Sadly I forgot to measure the voltage drop over this thing, maybe that could have helped.. oh well. I guess someone will know what it is and help us out here :)

Hi, the most classical way to eliminate reflections in glass is to use a polarizing filter on the lens.  These are not expensive and work well in high contrast scenes in landscapes, but also for what you are doing.
I know about polarizing filters as one of my other hobbies is photography, but  sadly this isn't that kind of reflection that could be killed by using a polarizer :( but even if they could be eliminated, my camera doesn't have a screwmount for filters. Maybe someday I will be able to buy a new one...

Polarizing lenses are good for many reflections, but not specular ones (mirror like).  Lighting position and the angle things are positioned combine to cause the problems you get.  Just experiment with these and you'll soon learn where the best place is for your lights and how you hold the subject.
At the moment I have LED light panels made from around 15 meter LED strips straigt above my workbench. I already thought about using studio light with the big umbrelly thingys, but if you take a look at my workspace you will see my problem with that - there is simply no room to place those. When sitting at my desk there is around 50cm to the next desk behind me. To my right side is the protruding part of the roof, I can't even stand there. And left... well, I have to be able to leave somehow :)

I notice you have audio compression on your microphone.  This is an excellent move in itself - but be aware that when you clicked the range switch with the meter close to the microphone, the compression kicked in and didn't release for a good second.  When you did multiple clicks, your voice was inaudible.
I noticed that, too. Try to remember it for the next time, since there is no way to controll the hold time of the audio compression.

For comments, I wouldn't use the outline font.  Yes it's pretty, but it's just that little bit harder to read - and what it's saying is more important.
Shame on me, I was lazy - had this font for on video annotations because the outline is good readable on every background. Yes, a solid font would have been better with the unicolored background, definitely.

[/quote]
I would suggest use a pro light system like this one,
Beside the space problem mentioned above, that one is SO expensive! :O I see those around ebay for around 35€. Are those that bad? Maybe I could fit one umbrella light somewhere...

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
At the moment I have LED light panels made from around 15 meter LED strips straigt above my workbench. I already thought about using studio light with the big umbrelly thingys, but if you take a look at my workspace you will see my problem with that - there is simply no room to place those. When sitting at my desk there is around 50cm to the next desk behind me. To my right side is the protruding part of the roof, I can't even stand there. And left... well, I have to be able to leave somehow :)
The lighting and reflection issues are the biggest challenges for any photographic exercise - but especially video, where there is subject and/or camera movement (IMHO). 

There are 4 things to keep in mind:
1. The position of the camera
2. The position of each of the lighting sources
3. The orientation of the subject
4. The location and illumination of objects around and behind the camera.

The first three cause the greatest grief when they all line up - so the idea is to try and make sure they don't ... but are still illuminated properly for the shot.  Sometimes the camera and subject positions don't allow a lot of 'playing around'.  The subject has to be in front of the camera.  You can try and avoid orienting the subject into positions that don't have bad reflections, but that can be awkward if the lighting is in the wrong place.

If you can find a less constricting space to do your videos, you will be able to address a lot of your issues much more easily.  Working to a physically restricted space does add to the complexity - but, hopefully, you will be able to find a workable compromise.

To make suggestions through a forum post like this, is a bit difficult, but I would suggest you might try putting together some lighting that you can try placing in different locations and just experiment to see where you find a balance between lighting and reflections.  Since you seem to like LED strip lighting that appears to be quite reasonable in terms of brightness and colour, I might suggest you make up two LED 'panels' - maybe just a piece of board with half a dozen 50cm strips on each (you would have a better idea if you would need more or less) and have some support system that allows you to set them in various positions and orientations.  I might try them at the left and right (or maybe upper left and upper right) of the subject and see how it goes.

Panels such as these can be brought out whenever you do videos and packed away at other times.  Once you find an orientation that works well, make sure you have a means to quickly position the lighting in that orientation every time.  You will get frustrated otherwise.

The fourth issue is much less of an issue - but it can create annoying artefacts.  I give you a personal example.

I do a lot of still photography with a setup best described as a 'document camera'.  The camera is pointing vertically down to a table top on which the subject is placed.  Some of the subjects are enclosed in plastic which is highly reflective.  At one stage I was doing post production processing and noticed a golden streak across part of the image - and once I saw it on one image, I noticed it on a great many more.  After some detective work I worked out what it was......

I had mounted my camera on a home-made bracket - which was a light brassy colour - and since the subject lighting was very good, there was enough light reflected up towards the camera that this bracket was being very well lit.  So well lit, in fact, that it was reflecting off the plastic wrapped around the subject.  The solution was really simple.  I found a couple of old black socks and made the hole in the toe a lot bigger and slipped them over the bracket. 

Once aware, I started noticing more of these reflections - from the silver 'Canon' logo to the rim of the lens.  I started to think I would have to shoot through a black curtain, with a little hole for the lens!  Fortunately, these were not particularly evident in the final product, so I could easily get away with it.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
no problems with your english Ysjoelfir and no issues with the video

i would second the comments about the audio compression / limiter and loud sudden noises knocking the audio back.

Try turning off the AGC on the camera and if you can apply the limiter when your editing (if your software has that option), you should be able to adjust the limiter recovery time to be very short so it still limits sudden noises but also doesn't knock the levels back for a long period and obscuring your speech.

subbed  :-+
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 08:41:10 am by dexters_lab »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
Re: Second attempt of making an english video - I need your oppinion once again!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 11:56:39 am »
no issues with the video   sharp focus  :-+
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
Re: Second attempt of making an english video - I need your oppinion once again!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 12:13:58 pm »
Ok, first of all, crash course for Germans, Dutch people and some other EU countries.
Your English is fine!!

I have been traveling a lot, and most English speakers don't care if you make a mistake or two. As long as you get the message across and you speak clearly.

I have met many people who think their English is horrible or they're not fluent, but they speak even better than some locals.
I guess it all comes from the fact that in some countries everything has to be so perfect, to a rediculous level.

You're not a native speaker, just accept it.
Accept that you will make minor mistakes.
For the same reason, accept the fact that you have an accent (which you'll always have).

And last, to get even a bit more convidence. Watch some big youtube channels. A lot of them is done by non-native speakers with horrible foreign accents.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 11:02:54 pm »
The lighting and reflection issues are the biggest challenges for any photographic exercise - but especially video, where there is subject and/or camera movement (IMHO).
Definitely! I love taking photographs, so I am well aware of light being the biggest factor of success. But as I am new to videography (why is this a word in english but not in german? we have to say "recording a video"..) I struggle with this problems every time again.

The first three cause the greatest grief when they all line up - so the idea is to try and make sure they don't ... but are still illuminated properly for the shot.  Sometimes the camera and subject positions don't allow a lot of 'playing around'.  The subject has to be in front of the camera.  You can try and avoid orienting the subject into positions that don't have bad reflections, but that can be awkward if the lighting is in the wrong place.

[...]

To make suggestions through a forum post like this, is a bit difficult, but I would suggest you might try putting together some lighting that you can try placing in different locations and just experiment to see where you find a balance between lighting and reflections.  Since you seem to like LED strip lighting that appears to be quite reasonable in terms of brightness and colour, I might suggest you make up two LED 'panels' - maybe just a piece of board with half a dozen 50cm strips on each (you would have a better idea if you would need more or less) and have some support system that allows you to set them in various positions and orientations.  I might try them at the left and right (or maybe upper left and upper right) of the subject and see how it goes.
At some of my first attemts I had just four 10 Watt LEDs spread around the camera which was quite okay but much to dark. Now I updated to the LED strip thing I told before which brings a much brigter and better distributed light, but also much more reflections. Before mounting the LED Panel directly beside the camera I had it sitting on a little tripod at my side, but aside stumbling upon it and kicking it over I could'nt do anything with it because it was just much to big.

I thought about placing a white cloth over the LED panel, maybe that helps distributung the light and getting rid of reflections? I should try that.

Also, I got a interesting 300W (100 x 3W LED chips) LED Panel from a local flea market. But sadly I didn'T know that thing was a growth light for plants.... damn! Didn't want to start some sort of business with bright pink/red lighting! So i ordered 200 3W LEDs in neutral white from china. We'll see if that thing could be of any use. At least it is realy small, so maybe that thing won't obstruct my moving that much.

The fourth issue is much less of an issue - but it can create annoying artefacts.  I give you a personal example.
[...]
Oh my god - that sound like something quite annoying! Actually, I noticed stuff like this at my pictures, too, but it was more or less okay for me. I am gratefull that I don't have that much aspiration - but who knows what will come someday ;)

i would second the comments about the audio compression / limiter and loud sudden noises knocking the audio back.

Try turning off the AGC on the camera and if you can apply the limiter when your editing (if your software has that option), you should be able to adjust the limiter recovery time to be very short so it still limits sudden noises but also doesn't knock the levels back for a long period and obscuring your speech.
Right, that would be a good idea. I will try that on a future video. Thanks for pointing me at that possibility!

subbed  :-+
Wow, thanks! That helps me a lot! :) I was watching your videos before, so that is kind of a honor for me :)

A couple of these will help

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Deluxe-HIWKLTCLAMPLIGHTM-8-5-Inch-Reflector/dp/B01E9IY6US/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1473160337&sr=1-5&keywords=clamp+light
That is so damn cheap!I have to see if I can find something like that in germany, looks promising. Maybe combined with some high power LED Lamps?

Ok, first of all, crash course for Germans, Dutch people and some other EU countries.
Your English is fine!!

I have been traveling a lot, and most English speakers don't care if you make a mistake or two. As long as you get the message across and you speak clearly.
Sadly, I have experienced the opposite sometimes, which is part of the reason why I get this thoughts. But as the resonance here is quite good... I guess thats ok. Even though the first (and nearly only) comment I ever got under one on my videos was the typical hater comment :-P But getting more hate comments seems to be normal business at youtube.

The following users thanked this post: dexters_lab

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 02:54:41 am »
Some people are just ass holes.  I always tell them if their Dutch (in my case) or German (your case) is better than our English, they have a point.

Don't focus on it.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 08:52:41 am »
To my shame one of my favourite ever videos is the one where TRXBench reviews a Digital Vector Wattmeter, the technical content is excellent, his presentation is perhaps a little slow but he's thorough and has an excellent understanding of his subject.

I'm ashamed of the fact that his accent always raises a smile when he says Digital Vector Wattmeter.

Your videos and accent are absolutely excellent and your English is grammatically better than that of many native speakers, it's also far better than my German.

Please, don't let the haters discourage you, they're just idiots out to get an argument or knock down those who know more than them.

Lighting, others will know better than I do so experiment, it's very difficult to get it absolutely right in all conditions but I've found reflected light works better if you have bright source(s)

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 12:33:30 pm »
I don't think people need to be ashamed if certain accents or dialects (or any other kind of difference) makes them laugh.
Sometimes it is just funny on a cute way.
Differences (in culture) are just fun and very interesting!

Anyway, keep up with posting more stuff on you youtube!

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 09:51:11 am »
I don't think people need to be ashamed if certain accents or dialects (or any other kind of difference) makes them laugh.
Sometimes it is just funny on a cute way.
Differences (in culture) are just fun and very interesting!

Anyway, keep up with posting more stuff on you youtube!

perhaps ashamed is a little strong but I do feel a pang of guilt about it.

Anyway, I agree wholeheartedly on posting youtube videos, the more knowledge we can put on there in easily accesible and friendly formats to teach, inform and show the fun of our careers, hobbies etc. the better.

• Frequent Contributor
Hey,
thanks for your kind words, and no, I won't let haters discourage me, I have to much fun doing this stuff to let that happen  :scared:
Right now I tried to update my lighting with a nice LED fixture I found at a local fleamarket. To bad that I had to do a "little" midification for it to be somehow usefull. I hope that I find a way to mount it so that you can see it in action in the next video.
Until then you might want to take a look and throw an ear at the build log, I tried to enhance the audio by disabling the compression at the camera and reapply compression while editing. It kind of worked, except at one place where I got much to close to the mic and it just overmodulates completely - at least that was just a short period - phew!
As always, I would love to hear your comments and Ideas on how I can improve anything :)

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
As always, I would love to hear your comments and Ideas on how I can improve anything :)

Hi

I like your voice and relaxed pace of speaking.   Some people are so fast (or slow) and harsh I want to hit them.  Your hair was a distraction, the hat was better but you may want to find a hat with a short brim, it got in the way.  Reverse it on your head.  Check your fingernails.

I suggest you take close up photos of circuit boards and add them in the videos, also datasheets,  also the ads where you buy your stuff.  Like take a screen shot on what you buy.  In this video what if someone would like to check out the LEDs that you bought? 
So some close up photos (not video) edited in the videos, of the LEDs, their source, cost, datasheet, etc.  Just imagine if someone wants to build what you are doing or buy something in the video, help them.  Dave does this in his videos.  Be sure to study his videos for technique,  he makes his living off of them so he puts a lot of thought into them.

I liked the part about the helicopter.  The same thing happened to me, I was watching a portable TV in a dark canyon when the helicopter came over my head.

Double check all your links, here is one from #24  notice anything wrong (hint typo) ?
Please visit my website at http://www,tinkertubes.de for more interesting articles!

Also in the English version of the links should be a warning the site is in German (I was bummed)

Could you have drawn a simple circuit of your light?  It can be on paper or white board, no computer CAD is needed.  It would have been better than the screwdriver.

You should add your youtube channel and website to you profile on this forum so it shows on every post that you make.  You should make a post every time you upload a video.  I suggest stick with this topic so people can follow you on this forum.

In #24 you show a bolt and you did not know the English name - it is a "carriage bolt".  The thing you used to make holes is a "hole punch".

Another suggestion - set up two YouTube channels, one in German and one in English.  If someone stumbles onto one of your video in a language they do not know they will skip you.  I did not know you were doing dual languages until I checked out your playlists.  It seems a bad idea to do two languages on one channel.  In fact most of your videos are in German.  This is the first time I have come across someone making video in different languages, seems like a really bad idea.  It is hard to move about on your YT because of this.
I STRONGLY suggest you do not use two languages on one YT channel.

See if you can translate your website, I thought WP could do this.  While talking about this - I feel it is more professional to have your own website rather than host on a free WP site.  It is so cheap to do this, there is no reason not to do it if this is something you would like to make money at.

I think you have a lot of potential and I really hope you will continue.  Do you have any desire to make videos on MCUs ?  If so we should talk.  It would be good if you do not know anything but start making videos on them because you have a good YT personality and I think you could do a good job.

Add in some little interesting things.  I would have loved to see a picture where you bought the light.  Notice Dave shows his lab and sometimes outside his house, he even did a road trip one time.  So you could show where you get things (just a few seconds).  It adds a little humanity to the videos.  If you drive across town to get something put in a short time lapse of the drive. 

I think if you want to make money and continue you need to show yourself.  You do not need to be in the whole video, you could start with an introduction, like standing at your table.  This is hard for me to say, I am so ugly I know I would hurt the video, so personally I would not show up in a video.  But I think the commercial successful ones have the author in the video.    You should have a picture of yourself on YT.  So if you want to make money, you need to become more personal with your audience.  If you have no plans to make money off your videos, never mind.

Put something about yourself in the About section of YT.  Like name, age, gender (I can guess), occupation, schooling, interests, goals, etc.  Maybe someone would like to know if you have the same interests as they do.

till later
Roger

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
OP, your English is very good and easy to understand. One suggestion is to look at the greatscottlab and ThomasSanladerer channels on youtube (both are from your country). They script their videos are very good IMO.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: News from Tinkertubes Lab
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 10:25:12 pm »
I watched both videos.
The first thing I noticed was that I turned the volume up on this latest video after having just finishing listening to the first video in this thread. So finalise the audio setup as quickly as you can and ensure it remains under your control.
I normalised the video to -12dB since the overall loudness seemed to be around that spot with some nasty peaks going up to 0dB, the older ones weren't normalised at all. I will stick to -12dB as I don't like this overly enthusiastic loudness most audio creators have today.

The fan was audible even to me. You might need to slow them down a bit or find quieter bigger ones.
even before you wrote I already took my new baby (ryobi 18V cordeless angle grinder <3 ) and made a little hole in that thing to mount a 120mm fan.Was still to noisy, could still be heard slightly. So I got myself an 78S075, soldered that to the wire, straped it down to one of the fans mounting holes and there we go. perfectly fine. I also tried to find a way to mount that thing to a tripod and place it on my desk. still need some experimentation on where to place the floodlight to get the best light distribution, but time will sort that out.

For technical videos it is ideal to speak with a German accent. The Germans are highly regarded throughout the world as producing technology of outstanding quality. So the accent complements technical video quite well.

I think you will do well.  :-+
Thanks, that is so nice to hear that the accent somehow adds to the watching experience XD I realy like that! :)

Your hair was a distraction, the hat was better but you may want to find a hat with a short brim, it got in the way.  Reverse it on your head.  Check your fingernails.
Now I am realy offended! You don't like my beautiful hair? and what about my nails? I trim them everyday to perfect size to scratch myself and keep them well lubricated with natural handyman dirt so that they stay intact!  :box: I get what you mean. :) Actually, the "Hair and Hat"-problem is actually a result of my attempt to correct another problem. My old camera setup had the problem that the picture frame was a bit to far shifted to the rear end of the table, just hanging down from a bracket at my shelf, facing away from me. So I decided to just turn it around and flipping the video in post processing, which resulted in around 15cm less stretching of my arms over the table and giving me more controll over the picture frame. What I didn't think of was, that I have to be more carefull now regarding my head being in the picture. I guess I will have that sorted out the next times.

I suggest you take close up photos of circuit boards and add them in the videos, also datasheets,  also the ads where you buy your stuff.  Like take a screen shot on what you buy.  In this video what if someone would like to check out the LEDs that you bought? 
So some close up photos (not video) edited in the videos, of the LEDs, their source, cost, datasheet, etc.  Just imagine if someone wants to build what you are doing or buy something in the video, help them. 

Could you have drawn a simple circuit of your light?  It can be on paper or white board, no computer CAD is needed.  It would have been better than the screwdriver.
I will try to remember that. I haven't decided which software I will use in the future as I am not completely satisfied with my ancient Version of Adobe Premiere Elements, think about using an other software for the next videos. I guess I will try to add those things then if necessary/usefull.

I liked the part about the helicopter.  The same thing happened to me, I was watching a portable TV in a dark canyon when the helicopter came over my head.
I would love it if we had canyons here o.o

Double check all your links, here is one from #24  notice anything wrong (hint typo) ?
Please visit my website at http://www,tinkertubes.de for more interesting articles!

Also in the English version of the links should be a warning the site is in German (I was bummed)

Another suggestion - set up two YouTube channels, one in German and one in English.  If someone stumbles onto one of your video in a language they do not know they will skip you.  I did not know you were doing dual languages until I checked out your playlists.  It seems a bad idea to do two languages on one channel.  In fact most of your videos are in German.  This is the first time I have come across someone making video in different languages, seems like a really bad idea.  It is hard to move about on your YT because of this.
I STRONGLY suggest you do not use two languages on one YT channel.

See if you can translate your website, I thought WP could do this.  While talking about this - I feel it is more professional to have your own website rather than host on a free WP site.  It is so cheap to do this, there is no reason not to do it if this is something you would like to make money at.
Yes, already noticed that. Didn't find the time to change this typo in every video, since I made it in my presets. (Will correct the mistakes tomorrow if I remember it) But I edited the preset, since I now decided that I will switch completely to english. That is, because I got confused with the multilingual thing myself as it is quite hard to keep track and not to miss anything. Sadly, the translation thing you saw on wordpress only works on self hosted sites. As you mentioned it - yes, self hosting is cheap, and since I have had some experience in the webdesign business around 11 years ago I have no problem setting up a self hosted site. BUT, and that is the reason I stayed at (better: returned to) WP free, the wordpress site somehow gets quite some clicks, I have no idea why. I switched to self hosted for half a year or so, but the few comments I got kept appearing on the old site, even when I changed the title to "this site is an archive, please go to *new site*" and placed a simmilar text as preset in the comments box. The self hosted site however didn't get more than 20 clicks per months, regardless of me trying every little thing to tweak SEO and stuff like that.
I actually think about shutting off the wp site at all since I notice that I focus more on the video thing, which is way more entertaining to me. What do you guys think?

You should add your youtube channel and website to you profile on this forum so it shows on every post that you make.  You should make a post every time you upload a video.  I suggest stick with this topic so people can follow you on this forum.
Done. How do you like it? I also edited the threads start post to better suit this Idea (I actually didn't know that this is allowed, since it is advertisement then...)

I think you have a lot of potential and I really hope you will continue.  Do you have any desire to make videos on MCUs ?  If so we should talk.  It would be good if you do not know anything but start making videos on them because you have a good YT personality and I think you could do a good job.
Thanks! I sure will continue, I have much fun taking the videos and I love sharing knowledge and ideas.
I actually would like to get into MCUs a bit deeper, in my studies we have some courses which involve MCUs, but we all know how much those courses help. I have basic knowledge. What do you think about?

Add in some little interesting things.  I would have loved to see a picture where you bought the light.  Notice Dave shows his lab and sometimes outside his house, he even did a road trip one time.  So you could show where you get things (just a few seconds).  It adds a little humanity to the videos.  If you drive across town to get something put in a short time lapse of the drive. 
Interesting, I have thought about that as well. Since I go to flea markets on a quite regular basis I thought it would be quite interesting to have a format like "Ysjoelfir goes shopping", showing some short clips what I got and so on. The problem would be the privacy laws we have in germany. You are not allowed to take a video or photo of someone without their permission. I don't know if there is a way around that, maybe I should investigate that a little further, if there is more interest in this type of video.

I think if you want to make money and continue you need to show yourself.  You do not need to be in the whole video, you could start with an introduction, like standing at your table.  This is hard for me to say, I am so ugly I know I would hurt the video, so personally I would not show up in a video.  But I think the commercial successful ones have the author in the video.    You should have a picture of yourself on YT.  So if you want to make money, you need to become more personal with your audience.  If you have no plans to make money off your videos, never mind.
In one of my german videos I filmed myself, ranting about DPD and the amazon priority stuff. So, I actually have no problem showing myself, but I just thought there wouldn't be any benefit from it. What do the others think about this? I was a bit scared that it could just seem that I would stretch the video to length with an introduction like that.
And: I want to redesign my logo, actually I am working at it right now/this week. Thought about something like a big gear with TTLab and crossed soldering iron and scope probe under it in the middle of the gear. I guess I could involve myself in the actual header picture, if this could be usefull.
Regarding the money: I have monetarisation switched off right now since I don't think that my content is that good in quality that I should bother my viewers with advertisements. Even though, I actually designed a patreon page after I got an e-mail with an invitation to participate after giving support to some of my favorite channels myself. But for the same reason I didn't activate that 'till now.

Put something about yourself in the About section of YT.  Like name, age, gender (I can guess), occupation, schooling, interests, goals, etc.  Maybe someone would like to know if you have the same interests as they do.
Done. Sadly, there isn't enough space for a little biography :( I tried to get the most usefull things on there.

OP, your English is very good and easy to understand. One suggestion is to look at the greatscottlab and ThomasSanladerer channels on youtube (both are from your country). They script their videos are very good IMO.
Thanks for your comment! I watch both channels, but I have to admit that I don't like scripted videos that much. Feels always a little like a lecture lesson...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:33:07 pm by Ysjoelfir »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 03:29:27 am »
Now I am realy offended! You don't like my beautiful hair?
No - I am bald   :-DD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 10:29:22 am »
I like the style you have and the way you speak. It is a bit like sitting down with a friend and you are being shown what they have been doing. I call it the "over the shoulder style".
That is actually what I intended to represent. I want to show the things I like in a friend-like way so that a kind of comfort is present. Thanks  :-+

The longer you remain fixated on technical aspects of video production the more I fear it will diminish the enthusiasm. So establish a certain technical standard that is acceptable and leave it at that.
Thats what I thought. But as I am quite enthusiastic this point of technical standard isn't reached. I am saving for a new camera since this old Panasonic HDC-SD40 isn't that great (at least I got the feeling that the video quality is always a bit blurry) and am looking for more of those weed lamps to convert to studio floodlights as I noticed in some experiments I made the last days that the one I have now is quite useable, but to reduce harsh shadows I need at least a second one.

As for logos. Logos should be like flags, so simple that a child can draw them from memory. An example of a good logo is The Signal Path Blog. W2AEW has a good logo although it is not really a logo. It is just too clever to ignore.

Just a suggestion for a logo, Not saying I think it is a great one. It just poped into my head. Is TTL for "TinkerTubes Lab"maybe in a 14pin DIP package outline. Simpler would be better and easier to represent in a blog and in email and forum posts.
I had the same thing in mind but thought at first that the TTL-reference would be a bit to flat, kind of an anti-joke. But some of my friends pointed me also in that direction so I got my 200 cds from the ancient Cinema 4D Bundle I bought many years ago and started fiddling around. (was it that hard to get a somehow acceptable result back then? Or did I just forget nearly EVERYTHING in regards of using this piece of software? :wtf: )

The attached TTLab_.jpg is what I came up with. I am thinking about transforming it to a 2D sketch in mainly three colors, orange, black and green. I am absolutely not satisfied with the quality of this model but I guess you get the Idea. (Even though the tilted view looks actually not that bad... maybe for use in a header image?)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 06:04:55 pm »
Hey everyone, there is a new video online! I was busy with my studies, so I had a hard time filming at all, so I decided to do this with the old light setting, just to be quick.
It is about a part of my study project, showing the building of an AVR-Net-IO.
In the future I am planning on presenting the finished project on video, maybe as a little addon.
You can find the video - as usual - on youtube at tinkertubes lab. Hope you like it!

https://youtu.be/LhJMJmR7Nhc

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 12:05:30 pm »
Will be watching this.

Subscribed
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:01:53 am by Radio Tech »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 02:17:27 pm »
Will be watching this.

Subscribed
Thanks! :)

Today I got another build log for you.
I found this DIY kit in a pile of junk in my lab and thought it would be a relaxing build, so I decided to share it with you.

Sorry about the colors in this one, somehow I fucked this one up.. Also, a few seconds at the beginning and at the end are missing, so no "Hello and welcome to Tinkertubes Lab" today, and also no proper dismissal...
This one is also still made with the old lighting.

enjoy! :) Also, feel free to comment and give me feedback, I appreciate it very much.
https://youtu.be/qieIRL6ZBFc

• Frequent Contributor
Tinkertubes Lab [29] - A look inside an unearthed full metal outdoor LED light
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2016, 10:43:27 pm »
I got those LED spotlights as a review sample, which was nice at first since one of my halogen lamps decided to go bang and disintegrated the glas in a rather violent way. But as those spots arrived at my lab I got suspicious - nice full metal casing, supposed to be water resistant or even water proof (chinglish wasn't clear at that point), useable outdoors - but only one of them had a earth cable sticking out. The other one didn't even have a outdoor useable cable at all... So I decided to get rid of the water sealing stuff and take a look inside.

https://youtu.be/zzLKxEOsYT0

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
I got those LED spotlights as a review sample, which was nice at first since one of my halogen lamps decided to go bang and disintegrated the glas in a rather violent way. But as those spots arrived at my lab I got suspicious - nice full metal casing, supposed to be water resistant or even water proof (chinglish wasn't clear at that point), useable outdoors - but only one of them had a earth cable sticking out. The other one didn't even have a outdoor useable cable at all... So I decided to get rid of the water sealing stuff and take a look inside.

Thanks, I enjoyed watching that video.

As well as the missing Earth and proper water proofing, maybe it also needs a fuse.

I'm still completely confused how these Chinese imports, into Europe, with very high safety standards. Can get away with so poor safety.

I'm surprised (but pleased), it at least has got a transformer (but it may also NOT meet the EU safety specs). Most youtube video LED lamp tear down videos (e.g. bigclivedotcom), seem to have capacitor dropper circuits. Which I dislike.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:53:38 pm by MK14 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2016, 06:56:53 pm »

Thanks, I enjoyed watching that video.

As well as the missing Earth and proper water proofing, maybe it also needs a fuse.

I'm still completely confused how these Chinese imports, into Europe, with very high safety standards. Can get away with so poor safety.

I'm surprised (but pleased), it at least has got a transformer (but it may also NOT meet the EU safety specs). Most youtube video LED lamp tear down videos (e.g. bigclivedotcom), seem to have capacitor dropper circuits. Which I dislike.

thanks for your comment!
Now that you mention it, there wasn't even a fusing resistor in it... could definitely be quite violent if something goes wrong.
regarding the import problem... with enough money you can without any problem buy every certificate... sad as it is.
why do you dislike capacitive droppers? they have their issues, yes, but they are cheap as hell. i built some cap PSUs for DIY led lights, which work perfectly. and if you keep safety in mind, there shouldnt be a problem i guess?
even though, if I would have to choose I would always a proper isolated PSU.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2016, 07:54:43 pm »
thanks for your comment!
Now that you mention it, there wasn't even a fusing resistor in it... could definitely be quite violent if something goes wrong.
regarding the import problem... with enough money you can without any problem buy every certificate... sad as it is.
why do you dislike capacitive droppers? they have their issues, yes, but they are cheap as hell. i built some cap PSUs for DIY led lights, which work perfectly. and if you keep safety in mind, there shouldnt be a problem i guess?
even though, if I would have to choose I would always a proper isolated PSU.

Transformers, tend to give isolation, often last many decades or longer and usually don't have too bad reactions if things go bad (but they SHOULD be fused).

Whereas capacitors (especially high voltage, normal (not X2/Y etc)/cheap ones, electrolytic's) tend to not last that long, even if not used at all (e.g. 5 years), don't usually provide electrical isolation (as you just mentioned), and can go dramatically wrong.
I.e. They present electric shock/fire hazards due to lack of isolation, can catch on fire or even explode, and can pass lots of excessive current (fail open or short circuit, if non-safety type), tending to make things worse.

The lower the current needed (e.g. <= 10 milliamps), the happier I am with capacitor droppers. Especially if it is properly designed with the correctly rated/safety components, as needed. But just to be clear, I still don't particularly like them.

I also perceive them to be inefficient.

But I concede that I am "old School", because a lot of my electronics, was in the days of transformers/bridge rectifiers, and smoothing capacitors, followed by (sometimes missed out, in cheaper items) linear regulator(s), were the norm.

But I also concede that some of the older (old nowadays, new or not so old, at the time) equipment I used, such as TVs (i.e. valves/tubes), also used techniques I don't like either.
Such as non-isolated half mains voltage chassis, mains dropper resistors, many series connected filaments across the mains (to save on having a proper 6.3 V mains transformer), etc.
Also because they were potentially dangerous, smelly (because of the high temperatures inside TVs) and very wasteful of energy. Which did not matter (Oil and hence electricity was cheap), pre-1972/3, before the oil price crash.

tl;dr
If the mains dropper is designed by people who know what they are doing, with the correct/decent components, properly double-insulated (or whatever safety techniques are needed for that application), and it meets the lifetime requirements. I am not too unhappy.
But there is much to worry about if it is poorly designed, weakly constructed and not safe to begin with, and made out of cheap/nasty components.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 07:58:34 pm by MK14 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 02:38:26 pm »
Sure, the benefits of transformers are well known, what I meant and as you also already mentioned was, that in some low power applications capacitive droppers are actually pretty good. If you calculate your circuit well and choose oversized caps, they can pretty reliable. I actually have a dropper circuit built over 10 years ago, still works every single day. The components are absolutely oversized, if I remember correctly I used a 1kV bridge rectifier which is good for around 3 Amps and a 2000V cap as well as some big ass resistors (except the little 10 ohm input resistor which acts as an el cheapo fuse - but never did until now) inside. Sure, today you could buy an isolated PSU at the same price with smaller dimmensions :)

What I want to say is, everything has it's way of being usefull. You mention tubes, which I absolutely love, even though I know about theie several drawbacks compared to modern technology. But they still have their place, even if its only in our hearts <3 *sheds a tear* And yes, the live chassis are a big PITA - made the mistake to touch one at the first radio I ever looked into... bad idea. ;)

So, basically exactly what your tl;dr states. ;)

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2016, 04:18:09 pm »
Sure, the benefits of transformers are well known, what I meant and as you also already mentioned was, that in some low power applications capacitive droppers are actually pretty good. If you calculate your circuit well and choose oversized caps, they can pretty reliable. I actually have a dropper circuit built over 10 years ago, still works every single day. The components are absolutely oversized, if I remember correctly I used a 1kV bridge rectifier which is good for around 3 Amps and a 2000V cap as well as some big ass resistors (except the little 10 ohm input resistor which acts as an el cheapo fuse - but never did until now) inside. Sure, today you could buy an isolated PSU at the same price with smaller dimmensions :)

What I want to say is, everything has it's way of being usefull. You mention tubes, which I absolutely love, even though I know about theie several drawbacks compared to modern technology. But they still have their place, even if its only in our hearts <3 *sheds a tear* And yes, the live chassis are a big PITA - made the mistake to touch one at the first radio I ever looked into... bad idea. ;)

So, basically exactly what your tl;dr states. ;)

You are raising some very good points.

As you just said, it is only relatively recently when we have potentially had a wide availability of rather cheap, switch mode power supplies, even in rather small packages. So older electronics, has good excuses, as to why they did not go that route.

I got curious about the TV transformers, so looked them up on the internet. I specifically looked at the "405 line televisions". Which were using the original 1936 (approx) era TV signals. Ironically it was called HD (High Definition), because it had at least 220 lines of definition. In practice it had about 377 lines (interlaced, the rest were used for giving it time to move the electron beams back to the top, left, etc).

Apparently (I read), that the magnetic fields that emanate from (especially the old ancient types) large transformers (maybe a few amps needed on the primary side), which a 6.3 V filament transformer, for all the valves in an old TV, would need. May have potentially messed around with the fine control of the electron beam (fluctuating stray magnetic fields), in such an early TV. So by having one less  transformer, maybe it helped improve the picture quality (significant speculation, I could easily be wrong, there are probably other important design factors as well).
The 50 Hz field rate, because it is the same 50 Hz of the transformer, is suppose to minimize the disruption, anyway. But some distortions still get through though.

Anyway, I agree with you. Almost any solution is probably workable/reliable, as long it has been properly engineered, and proper quality/speced components are used.

I am probably biased these days against the capacitive voltage droppers. Because so many of them come from China, and are not necessarily safely, reliably designed/built and may be using sub-standard components.

Because there is so little room inside a modern light bulb, and it will probably be LED based and relatively low power/current. Using capacitive droppers in them, probably makes a lot of sense, if done properly/safely etc.
After the 10,000 or 20,000 hours lifetime, it will probably be binned, anyway. So if the dropper can reliably last, at least as long as the LED's and other circuitry, then I guess it makes sense.
It also probably helps to keep the costs down.
As long as fingers can NOT contact any live metal of the bulb (and other safety issues, including kids messing with metal objects), and it is not a fire hazard when the components fail, it should be ok.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 04:21:18 pm by MK14 »

• Frequent Contributor
Tinkertubes Lab [30] - a look inside a translucent membrane air pump
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2016, 06:01:15 pm »
Hey everyone, it has been a while since the last video, mainly because of some ongoing study work that has to be done...  :phew:
Still, I wanted to post at least a video every month, so I took one of my "preproduced" clips and edited it. A few weeks ago I got a nice membrane air pump for free and thought it is a nice attempt to show what is inside, since the case of it was translucent anyway.
Please note that the colors are somehow wrong in the first part of the video, I have no idea why that is the case... I fiddled around with the settings at the camera, especialy the white balance, but it didn't change. instead, it changed all of the sudden from itself. Strange.
Anyway, hope someone may enjoy the video!

https://youtu.be/t8B-3UrPFFI

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 10:56:37 pm »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2016, 08:42:40 pm »
Thank you, I really appreciate it! If I get to the amount of viewers necessary to get a custom youtube url, can you edit that later?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2016, 08:59:28 pm »
Thank you, I really appreciate it! If I get to the amount of viewers necessary to get a custom youtube url, can you edit that later?

Yes but what do you mean?  Is this why there are different type of  links ?

like some have "channel" in the URL and some have "user"   so if you have x number of videos you would go from "channel"  to "user" ?

I wondered what was going on.  How many do you need?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2016, 09:11:48 pm »
Yes, that is the reason. To get a so called custom URL you need to have at least 100 subscribers, be active for more than 30 days and you need to have a channel symbol and channel picture. The later three I already have, the first one I am currently working on :) When you have those you can switch over to a "channel"-URL which would be something like youtube.com/channel/*yourpreferedchannelname*.
If you are interested in that you may want to take a look at the youtube info page for this specific topic which can be found at https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2657968?hl=en

• Frequent Contributor
Tinkertubes Lab VLog - Why no new videos recently?
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 07:14:45 pm »
Since someone asked my why I didn't upload any new videos for quite a while even though I got a brand new batterizer which would be perfect for a debunking video, I thought I would share with you the reason why. Nothing to spectacular and I will definitely make new videos, but for now I have to pause a few more days/weeks.  :scared:

https://youtu.be/jNgc1eQj4ng

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Re: Tinkertubes Lab VLog - Why no new videos recently?
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2017, 09:14:40 pm »
Since someone asked my why I didn't upload any new videos for quite a while even though I got a brand new batterizer which would be perfect for a debunking video, I thought I would share with you the reason why. Nothing to spectacular and I will definitely make new videos, but for now I have to pause a few more days/weeks.  :scared:

I added you to this list

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/dd/msg1093983/#msg1093983

Also I suggest you add your YT link to your profile so users can see it

• Frequent Contributor
New Tinkertubes Lab Logo - what do you think about it?
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 09:28:51 pm »
Thanks ez24, but I thought you already added me some time ago? :D However, thank you again :)

Today I worked again on the new logo for Tinkertubes Lab, this time trying to make it simple and in a way that it could easily be printed onto letters or something, yet memorable to give the channel a personality representing the concept of the whole thing, not the person behind it (as I had the feeling it was with my old "button" logo which I use as an avatar here.)
I also reinitiated my facebook page, which can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/TinkertubesLab/
That will be added to my signature soon, but I would like to add some more content there before i do that.

I would like to hear what you think about the logo, do you like it?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 08:09:29 am »
First impression is - I like it.

It will go well on dark backgrounds, but it you want to use it on light backgrounds, I would suggest the gear outline be a bit thicker, especially on smaller scale uses.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 04:16:20 pm »
Thank you for your comment Brumby! I actually noticed the same thing as I printed it onto a test document today to see how it looks, so I made a second version with a slightly bigger border in already smaller size. Since it looks identically in every other aspect I don't post it here again, I guess everyone can think how it looks like :)

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 05:19:05 pm »
Good idea, but I don't like the color combination, but maybe I just don't like yellow silkscreen, I always order green, and the traces are sometimes yellow, if gold plated. And I think the text is too small compared to the full logo size. All you see from a distance when you are as old as me and need glasses, is the large gear. See e.g. my logo, which is the opposite, the text might be even a little too big, but I like it  ;D

But then I didn't draw it myself, I have no talent, I ordered it from http://99designs.com
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2017, 07:43:11 pm »
I think the text is too small compared to the full logo size.

I agree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2017, 07:59:13 pm »
Hi Frank and thanks for your comment :) I personally love yellow silkscreen, so no problem with that ;) I also thought about the text size, thinking I might put it into / round the gear. Maybe I try that later.
I like your logo and the idea behind the site you ordered it is brilliant, especialy since I was working in the graphic design industry quite some years ago and would have loved to have a opportunity to give my work to someone for a few bucks, maybe that would have kept me there... But now I am just a poor student with not nearly enough money to give that amount for a logo :D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2017, 02:28:09 am »
I think the text is too small compared to the full logo size.

I agree

I'll be honest and say I was thinking about that as well.  When you go into small sized versions, the text will become almost illegible - especially for people with less than 20/20 vision.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2017, 02:36:44 am »
Just throwing this up as a quick idea...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:40:09 am by Brumby »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2017, 01:04:21 am »
Thanks for your replys! I thought about a way to further improve the readability and came up with this versions. I decided to make three different sizes with minor differences to improve readability at the specific size.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2017, 03:16:13 am »
Good idea.  The differences in each size aren't too drastic, so the overall appearance will be perceived as 'the same'.

However, I might suggest the lettering of the large version be more distinct.

I had a bit of a fiddle and came up with this.  I don't feel that it's a finished product - just something to look at.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2017, 07:01:45 am »
Dark grey on black, and light grey on white, you really don't want your audience to read the text, do you? :) But I like the second version. High contrast so that even with the relative small text (you could make it slightly bigger now, still some room left) it is easy to read. And the idea itself with an IC marking and the PCB and gear background is nice. You could build this as a physical model with a real IC, PCB and (big) metal gear. 14 pin DIP ICs are very common, like a 7400 quad NAND, which everyone has in the parts bin.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2017, 08:06:23 pm »
The reason for the light grey on white / dark grey on black thing is, that I want to give the impression of an embossed / engraved text in both the IC and the gear. I agree with the IC text being a bit hard to read at monitors with lower brightness, so I changed that and tried to get the other way ICs can be labeled - by printing. Do you think that worked out?
I also made the light grey text a tad darker as sugested in Brumbys version, just a bit less dark.
Regarding the rebuilding thing: That is my intention, I wanted to do a little super short intro, sticking stuff together and fading over to the big logo picture, everything in not more than 10 seconds. I just have to get a gear that is big enough...

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 08:08:46 pm by Ysjoelfir »

• Frequent Contributor
ELABO Style Workbench? Done! Lights? Done! Desk? Done! Next: start recording!
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2017, 10:25:21 am »
Now that this logo thing seems to be done I decided to give you a little update on how my lab rebuild is progressing. I fitted new fluorescent lamps into my desk lamp and wired the first components into my new desk, which had to be built before, and also got a new drawer cabinet which is so useful for storing all kind of crap you need around the lab, beauty! Enjoy  the video!

• Frequent Contributor
Re: News from Tinkertubes Lab - Keithley 199 auction score
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2017, 09:26:42 am »
Yes, rather long time since the last video, I was very busy studying. Now at the summer break there is finally time to do some videos again!

As some of you already have read at the auction score thread I got lucky and got a Keithley 199 at ebay for just 90€. Nice bargain, even though it was slightly defective. Turned out to be a rather.... creative fix. Hope you enjoy it :)

https://youtu.be/3tNQtYuWTrs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2017, 12:37:46 pm »
Just a short video I recorded quite some time ago - a quite destructive attempt to exchange the battery of a Blizzard / World of Warcraft Authenticator. It works, but is now... somehow busted :D

https://youtu.be/oktBQXH7NhI
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:42:06 pm by Ysjoelfir »

• Frequent Contributor
Salvaging parts
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2017, 01:32:40 am »
A new video arrived ;) Since my box of stuff that needs to be taken to bits is way more than just full I decided to start a little video series where I disassemble stuff and see what can be salvaged from it. If you like to join me take a look :)

https://youtu.be/XNQGxuVJu0I

• Frequent Contributor
DIY solder fume extractor for under 50 bucks!
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2018, 11:51:23 pm »
Long time since the last video but I found the time to tinker around a bit again, now that I started an internship at ZES Zimmer the study work has reduced a lot which means more free time to get stuff done :)
In this episode of Tinkertubes Lab I rebuilt my old DIY fume extractor for way under 50€ and it worked out absolutely fine. If you want to join me take a look at

and leave any comments you have about it :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf