Author Topic: Should i continue making videos?  (Read 5447 times)

Offline InductorbackEMFTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Repair/Rebuilding.
Should i continue making videos?
« on: May 09, 2018, 08:25:44 pm »
Hi all i have started a new youtube channel called Inductorbackemf.
And would like to know if i should continue making videos. At the moment my room is rather small however we are converting our very large garage into a lab.
Here is my channels link (sorry for very small amount of videos i am working on my lighting as well) one more thing i do understand the large danger of working
on old valve gear/high voltage stuff in case you are wondering,Thanks for reading.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC05zypB13m4Hu003BHPf_Ig?view_as=subscriber
Want a cup of TEA? (just one more meter please..)
Alex.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Should i continue making videos?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 11:38:12 pm »
How would we know if you should continue? There are only two videos 15 seconds and 2 minutes long. That is not enough to tell anything about the channel.

Based on a 2 minute video, I would say you should definitely minimize camera movements.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 11:41:49 pm by ataradov »
Alex

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 03:17:39 am »
You should.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 04:29:46 am »
Yes, continue.
Get a tripod and learn to frame shots properly and edit together to make a more compelling video.
As mentioned, only one single sub 2 minute video is not much to go on.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 06:09:30 am »
If you decide to continue, (hey, why not?  :-+ ) please don't get inspired by Youtuber 'ElectroBoom'

and have a go at trying his kamikazi antics   :o

;D

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 06:44:28 am »
Proper lighting.  Very very dark.

Was your scope video suppose to be a night scene? 
I was holding my breath waiting for the monster to pop out.   :popcorn:

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 06:53:16 am »
Making compelling videos is quite difficult. It may take many dozens before you settle on a style and a coherent mission that attracts an audience.

Short and misplld from my mobile......

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 07:36:14 am »
If it is the sort of thing that will get you up in the morning, with a keenness and desire to show the world something, then by all means, you should continue to make videos.

i am working on my lighting as well
Good.  You need to.  Lighting is, IMHO, THE most important single consideration.

Next ...... P L E A S E   keep that sort of camera motion to a minimum - preferably never again.  Nobody can see anything when the camera is moving around (especially that fast) and it takes at least 2 seconds of still image for people to be able to 'take in' the basic subject - longer for more detail.

I started feeling nauseated by your excessive motion.  Do get a tripod.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 07:37:14 am »
Making compelling videos is quite difficult. It may take many dozens before you settle on a style and a coherent mission that attracts an audience.

That's one thing I never really did, think about how my video would be structured and then stick with it. It's always been an eclectic mess.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 08:19:09 am »

That's one thing I never really did, think about how my video would be structured and then stick with it. It's always been an eclectic mess.

I like it, it's been great seeing the channel evolve as you became more experienced with video production. I have been tempted to start some education videos on server management, perhaps some software dev, etc. The few videos I did post that were demoing LookingGlass gained a ton of attention and over 100 subs, which was completely unexpected.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 11:07:54 am »
The few videos I did post that were demoing LookingGlass gained a ton of attention and over 100 subs, which was completely unexpected.

That's how it starts!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 11:17:35 am »
The most successful channels have a formula and stick to it, it really helps with getting a higher sub/view ratio.
Of course when I started few people were doing youtube full time or even took it seriously, no one took it seriously because you couldn't see a future in it.
How that around 50,000 channels have over 100,000 subs and 10's of thousands of people do it full time as a business, everyone who starts a channel can see a very clear path to success.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 11:23:05 am »

I have been tempted to start some education videos on server management, perhaps some software dev, etc. The few videos I did post that were demoing LookingGlass gained a ton of attention and over 100 subs, which was completely unexpected.

I will definitely subscribe for server mangement, remote hosting ect. type content.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 11:34:52 am »
There are many many many things out there for me to watch or read. My problem is quickly determining what I want to watch or read.

Given something that I can spend, say, 30 minutes watching or reading something, I can do that in 30s for written material or 30 minutes for a video. I'm prepared to spend 30s, but not 30 minutes. So, how are you going to convince me that it is worth watching your video?

Note also that the subject matter should be best presented as moving pictures. Talking heads should be replaced by written words. Static videos should be replaced by still pictures. Do that and, unlike videos, they become searchable using google.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Regular Contributor
  • Repair/Rebuilding.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 04:51:17 pm »
Hi,sorry for late response thanks for the feedback the lighting will 100% be fixed and all the movement.
I have got some much longer videos coming i was trying to think of a good way to stop erms/um so this was more of a test.
Also no monsters (they run away from flashing lights) only a very large scope  :)

Alex.
Alex.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 05:05:23 pm »

I feel like you developed a distinct style whether it was planned or not. The loose, conversational, unscripted style is a big plus for your content - and you are consistent in that regard. It is not messy at all....not even in the early videos.

To me, messy is when a YouTuber bounces from one topic to another unrelated topic, has no message or reason for the video. All of your videos have a topic that you stick with. There are plenty of nonsense channels with a TON of subs.....just not me. I really like getting a lesson or otherwise learning something that I did not know before I watched.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 05:31:13 pm »
Audio quality is good, but audio level is a bit lower than "normal".
Presentation space seems non-existent.  A nice clear area to do videos would be a tremendous improvement.
As others have mentioned, lighting is perhaps the greatest opportunity for improvement.
Lighting and audio are the biggest problem with casual YT videos, but you seem to have audio down pretty good.
You don't need to always keep the camera on a tripod, but some pre-planning and staging would be very helpful to reduce motion-sickness.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 05:17:21 pm »
There are a few tricks to doing moving camera shots, especially if you only have a camera.
I know those tricks, it takes a lot of practice.

Easy options are:
1) fix camera to bench (ala Big Clive)
2) tripod, just try not to bump it
3) Some from of camera stabilisation or gyroscope (beware of crap versions or shortly lived batteries)

Oh and keeping the camera level is the first thing you need to learn.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 06:55:31 pm »

I feel like you developed a distinct style whether it was planned or not. The loose, conversational, unscripted style is a big plus for your content - and you are consistent in that regard. It is not messy at all....not even in the early videos.

When Dave started his channel he was already experienced in publishing content in the dead tree carcass media he (and old timers like me) had learned to appreciate when he "was a boy" (EEVblog #54). That experience gave him the ability to improvise on the spot because he had learned how to interest his audience.

His style is that of a reviewer. A review is essentially what a magazine is. Intentionally or not, EEVblog is right from the first episode its modern version (emphasis on modern).

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2018, 12:34:58 pm »
You have got a lot of good advice already.

I am no YouTube expert and really cannot contribute from what has already been posted.
But I will say this. Should you continue? Yes.
When I started out I watched my own videos over several times and thought to myself,

Is my audio ok?
Is the video easy to watch?
Can folks follow the content?
Would I watch this video?

Dave Jones once told me" Everyone starts out with one video"

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2018, 12:50:27 pm »
Personal opinion here, hence purely subjective.

I've been following Dave since his early videos, if my memory serves me well, I think I started watching since video < #10.

IMO Dave did really-really well in absorbing and implementing all constructive criticisms he received thru out his journey.

This simple yet fundamental open minded attitude, imo matter soooo much that made him differs say compared to his competing bloggers. I won't name who, but there are electronic video bloggers just failed miserably because of this simple limitation.

My 2 cents.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2018, 01:35:02 pm »
When i see questions like this one, my answer is No, because the people asking them clearly have lack of enthusiasm and drive.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2018, 03:25:47 pm »
When i see questions like this one, my answer is No, because the people asking them clearly have lack of enthusiasm and drive.

Interesting........but the problem then is that it becomes final, ended, no hope of anything.........whereas, if he carries on, perhaps with a little encouragement you never know where it might go and to what it might develop into and to whom it might help. Most folks first YT video's are basically forgettable.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 02:45:41 am »
IMO Dave did really-really well in absorbing and implementing all constructive criticisms he received thru out his journey.

I Agree. But never forget another constant advice of his: "You can't please everyone". You can only understand this after you publish content. Some "constructive criticisms", if tried to be implemented, may render the production of your videos impossible.

This simple yet fundamental open minded attitude, imo matter soooo much that made him differs say compared to his competing bloggers. I won't name who, but there are electronic video bloggers just failed miserably because of this simple limitation.

I'm not sure if he considers other electronic video bloggers as competitors. Quite the opposite, I guess, as evidenced by the very existence of this board. He's also a supporter of some of those "competing bloggers" if I'm not mistaken.

Dave's prime directive is "Be sociable, share". A blogger that fails miserably is the one that doesn't share. That's why the answer to the question asked by the OP is obvious: don't ask, just do it, dammit.

• Regular Contributor
  • Repair/Rebuilding.
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 02:37:10 am »
Hi,i just wanted to say that the reason i asked was not due to lack of drive/enthusiasm
i have read all the comments and the lighting/desk area is REALLY sorted the audio/camera as well.
Oh and thanks for all the comments!

Alex.
Alex.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf