Author Topic: Vegas Movie Studio 15 Paltinum to DaVinci Resolve 15  (Read 1761 times)

Offline IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Vegas Movie Studio 15 Paltinum to DaVinci Resolve 15
« on: October 15, 2018, 04:45:01 pm »
Hi all,

I've been using Vegas since Version 11 and now am up to Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum but am now moving to DaVinci Resolve 15 for my own YT channel.

The basics of Vegas are fine, the GUI around the actual editing are ok, but I find the text handling and on-screen quality of text a bit rubbish.....always seems blocky around the edges. I notice the same in other folks's YT channels whom use Vegas. Anyways, I'm bored with Vegas......

So actually in 2016 I tried Resolve but it didn't support my Panasonic Camcorder AVCHD files, the audio was always empty and since I didn't want to re-encode before importing so I just left it. Roll on 2018 and I thought I'd give it a go again....and surprise they've fixed the issue and I'm liking what I see!

Resolve I found very easy to get to grips with and epspecially on a dual monitor setup everything is right there from adding transitions, to text with all the bells n whistles.
The keystrokes are obviously a little different but once you have them it's fine.....and I believe you can map them so not impossible to replicate Vegas if you want.

My own way of testing Resolve was to build a template with all the functions and toys I'd want to have going forward......and I also did my last YT video in Resolve albeit just the very basics of a video. What I like is that it's very easy to create something like a complex transition but then modify/change it later......there's no getting tied in so far you end up deleting it and starting again.

The paid version ($299 I believe) offers a load more features:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/20180404-10399d/DaVinci_Resolve_15_Feature_Comparison.pdf

PS. There is one bug in Resolve I have reported (and got a reply) involving slide-in style pop-ups from the side, i.e. instead of static text messages on-screen I thought it would be great to see them slide in from the side enclosed in a box kinda thing, then back out again. Turns out everything below that text/graphics that I am sliding in the timeline will slide also! They've acknowledge the issue and so hopefully they will fix with an update soon.

New lease of life for me I think!.......But just wondered if anyone else is using DaVinci Resolve and what were your thoughts?

Ian.

Dual Monitor setup (1920x1080 each):-
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf