Author Topic: VEGEteK #008 - Make a cheap lab power supply using DP50V2A module  (Read 2377 times)

Offline VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Episode 8 is out:

I talk about making a simple cheap adjustable power supply from DP50V2A module and how to use it. I explained all options.

This video took double effort of those before since I tried a different method of shooting then making a "script"... You'll know when you watch xD

Any feedback? is this method better or shooting directly is?

thank!

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: VEGEteK #008 - Make a cheap lab power supply using DP50V2A module
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 08:32:43 pm »
This is a switched mode only regulator. So there will be some more or less detectable output ripple and the dynamic response to load changes is usually relatively slow. How good it this specific regulator ?

As the cheap labtop and similar supplies are often less than 25 V, there is not that much use to using a unit made for up to 50 V.

The screen and user interface looks reasonable good.

A cheap lab power supply (e.g. 18 V 3A --> 2 A usable) might not be much more expensive than the module.

The following users thanked this post: VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:54:46 pm »
Your feedback is always good to read!

I know it is a switch-mode only and said so in the episode, my point was to explain its features since the datasheet itself doesn't do it properly! I had to figure them out myself and try stuff. A laptop supply is just an example, you can connect any form of DC input as you well know, but this one is mostly available. The other modules for 30v or so are similar price and similar size.

Maybe you are right, 20$ for this + 15$ for laptop charger might be near the price of a cheap specialized power supply. However, the availability is the big issue! at least for me!

If i want to buy a 60$ lab supply, it would cost me another 100$ or so to ship it here to Jordan let alone customs if I wasn't lucky. However, in this setup of mine this doesn't exist.

So the video is more or less my problem and my quick reasonable solution to it, as you can hear, I said that I still recommend a true power supply if you can afford it.

___

Anyway, I will be starting to make a PCB for the power supply in my thread... a prototype board. I guess making a video series for it is nice. I will use CircuitMaker to do so. I found a local PCB manufacturer that I will try, but components have to come from digikey.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 01:12:12 pm »
I see no YT link with pic... (just post the YT url and the EEVblog board adds it. I did see the video, good on ya, great work!

The following users thanked this post: VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 01:30:03 pm »

here it is. I modified it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf