Author Topic: Youtube and copy right material  (Read 17378 times)

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
Youtube and copy right material
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:05:41 pm »
Hi Guys, Thought you may help shed light on this. I uploaded a video on YouTube today and got a mail.
Looks like they were saying that I have copy righted music in my video.  Funny I do not have music in any of my videos.

The Content ID claim is from a company called Believe music. I have not filed a dispute yet and on the way out, just wondering if anyone has this happen before, it is my first.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Youtube and copy right material
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 11:12:49 pm »
I never have, but I do have quite a dislike for copyright and patent trolls. I do believe that any music in your video is a figment of their imagination.....

Google search yields some results on them:
https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/34iij2/beware_of_fake_copyright_claims_by_believe_music/

http://phishlist.com/beware-of-fake-copyright-claims-by-believe-music-on-youtube/

https://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/copyright-claim-by-believe-music-on-youtube-video/166453
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:28:32 pm by imidis »
Gone for good

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:33:16 am »
yeah, it does artifact for me as well
Gone for good

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 01:37:28 am »
I had it happen once on one of my videos. I don't recall if it was due to "Believe Music". My video also had no music, just a bunch of white noise from the device I was demonstrating. I submitted a dispute, and clearly some human somewhere must have checked my video because the copyright claim went away after a few days.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 03:22:26 am »
Thanks for the information guys.
Funny about those artifacts at 18.06. Is not in the video stored on the pc. But clearly see it on the YouTube video. Interesting.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 03:48:19 am »
It says that the copy righted material is from 0.00 to 0.32. In the beginning of the video. I filed a dispute with these folks.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 05:08:18 am »
White noise got a false match. File the dispute and see what the actual listener then does.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 08:10:02 am »
False automated flagging happens, the algorithm is not perfect. I've had one or two, just dispute it and it's fine.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 05:03:57 pm »
Thanks. I have disputed the claim so guess we have to wait it out now and see what happens.  It was very cold yesterday and had the heat full blast in the shop. The heating duct is just over my head and reeks havoc on the camera with the noise. Darn mic is so sensitive.

After doing quite a few Google searches last night at midnight when I got home I see that this group does this a lot.  Makes one wonder lol.
As far as those artifacts in my video I do not see them at all in the footage on the pc. So something must have happened during the upload or on YouTube.

Thanks again all.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 11:51:10 pm »
Thanks. I have disputed the claim so guess we have to wait it out now and see what happens.  It was very cold yesterday and had the heat full blast in the shop. The heating duct is just over my head and reeks havoc on the camera with the noise. Darn mic is so sensitive.

Yep, I generally turn the aircon off when shooting videos, especially using the shotgun mic in the Mailbag for example. About to shoot one now and lettign the room cool down first before I swithc off and record for an hour.
It's ok if I'm doing behind camera shots with my mouth 30-50cm from the mic, or a lapel mic doing whiteboard stuff, but worth turning off anyway

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 01:29:28 am »

Yep, I generally turn the aircon off when shooting videos, especially using the shotgun mic in the Mailbag for example. About to shoot one now and lettign the room cool down first before I swithc off and record for an hour.
It's ok if I'm doing behind camera shots with my mouth 30-50cm from the mic, or a lapel mic doing whiteboard stuff, but worth turning off anyway

Understand that. I do turn the unit off or set it so it does not come on while shooting.
But the day I recorded the video it was a cool 23 degree F (-5 degree C) so just let it run.
I can get the shop pretty warm but the floor is suspended and not well insulated. Been meaning to fix that one day.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 06:04:54 am »
Been meaning to fix that one day.

That phrase sounds far too familiar .......

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 10:27:31 am »
Been meaning to fix that one day.

That phrase sounds far too familiar .......

:-DD Oh yes, so many times that has been said.  I really meant to do it while it was summer. But somehow summer is gone lol.

Offline albert22

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 03:38:17 pm »
This is not a fault in the copyright checking software. There are reports that some individuals are reporting fake copyright claims to steal your monetization while the claim gets solved by youtube (and that could take a month),
Some people disable their videos while the dispute is going on to avoid getting robbed.
Here is some info
http://phishlist.com/beware-of-false-copyright-claims-by-pirames-international-srl-on-youtube/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:47:16 pm by albert22 »

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 12:48:07 pm »
Well good news.

They removed the copyrighted claim. Did not take as long as they said it would.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 04:47:12 pm »
Time to issue the false DMCA claim then, get at least the money you lost, plus costs, out of them.

The following users thanked this post: 3db

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 11:33:06 pm »
Good, I'm still of the opinion they are doing as stated earlier.
Gone for good

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 11:41:04 pm »
So am I, Like SeanB said I should push it. From what I am reading on the internet this company has done this to many YouTube folks.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 02:56:48 pm »
Sadly the only thing that would work is that each false claim results in a suspension on automatic flagging. 1 claim, one day, second claim, 2 days, 3rd claim 3 days and so on. That would quickly result in them not filing false claims, as the penalty would be prohibitive, so they will improve the detection to reduce the false positives. They can still file claims manually, but that will require somebody to put a signature, with the resultant having to pay the counterclaim cost, per request.  If there is no penalty for lying, then there is no reason not to do so, it is a way to make money.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 01:54:51 am »
Well this is the second time that "Believe Music" has falsely claimed one of my  videos for copy right material.
Already filed a dispute on it.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 05:10:54 am »
What I wonder if youtube can block or require believe music to have to manually claim. Or perhaps the DMCA doesn't allow for it. Rotten though. :(
Gone for good

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 05:50:11 am »
Complaints against Believe Music for doing this are easy to find on the net.

They claim monetisation - which might be a pittance for any given video, but I would think thousands of such pittances would make a decent sum.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 07:28:05 am »
Make the video private, which will mean no views for them. Then do the dispute, and when it is reviewed you can release it again. Annoying, but they then make no money off it either as well.

What might also work, is if they have a US office or representative at some US address, is to work out the lost revenue, and then do a small claims court claim in your local town, and have it served on them. Will cost you the day of your time, the court costs ( all of which you can claim as part of the claim as well), but they have to send a representative to the court as well to counter. You have to pay somebody ( sheriff in their area) to serve them, but they have to pay somebody to come to you.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:34:58 am by SeanB »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 08:19:40 am »
Time to issue the false DMCA claim then, get at least the money you lost, plus costs, out of them.

You can't be serious?
The only way you can get "the money you lost, plus costs" is to sue them and win in a court of law that can order them pay up.
Only a fool would do that.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 08:20:59 am »
What might also work, is if they have a US office or representative at some US address, is to work out the lost revenue, and then do a small claims court claim in your local town, and have it served on them. Will cost you the day of your time, the court costs ( all of which you can claim as part of the claim as well), but they have to send a representative to the court as well to counter. You have to pay somebody ( sheriff in their area) to serve them, but they have to pay somebody to come to you.

That's insane. Why would anyone do that?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf