Author Topic: Youtube firing all monitized channels <1000 subs, lets make a subscriber pool  (Read 15596 times)

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
afaiu google can't figure out how to automatically check is a video is "advertiser friendly", so instead they intend to hire 10000 people to actually watch videos before they get monetized, to make that remotely possible they have to reduce the number of videos they have to consider

As plausible an explanation as any  :)
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Why YT is doing this? Why allow monetization only to some channels? What they are tring to avoid with this change?

There is actually nothing new here, it's how it used to be. In fact it used to be more stringent.
"Back in the day" you had to be personally invited by Youtube to join the partner program and it was a big "leveling up" moment when you got that email.

What do they get from this?
1) More money. A lot of small channels adds up, and they would still be running ads on them
2) Less hassle. Tens of thousands less channels to deal with.
3) They can play the white knight in that they are protecting creators.

Only problem it won't stop the scammers as they can simply pay for more views, and likely you start to see these paid view companies offer "watch time" for sale in order to get your channel "leveled up".

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
For your size of channel, I am guessing a couple of $ a month at best. So I do not think that this change is any kind of big hit for anyone. But I do not judge if  that change does make sense or if it is reasonable (which I think it is not). I might have lost few hundreds of $ because I started my monetization not that long ago. I have the channel almost for 10 years.

The only problem I think comes if your channel is not monetised and you suddenly get a viral hit. You'll likely lose a huge chunk of money (approx $1.50/ 1000 views, so a 1M view viral video would be worth say $1500) before they recognise it and monetise your channel.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
The only problem I think comes if your channel is not monetised and you suddenly get a viral hit. You'll likely lose a huge chunk of money (approx $1.50/ 1000 views, so a 1M view viral video would be worth say $1500) before they recognise it and monetise your channel.

But that's like winning the lottery. It's nothing to base any financial plans around.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

But that's like winning the lottery. It's nothing to base any financial plans around.

Sure but the point is that maybe it gives you more incentive to create content if you know that if one happens to go viral then you are already monestised.
But once again, it never used to be like this, a viral video was your ticket to getting that partnership email.

Offline marcus_cdn

• Think it right the first time
Tesla coils!  I'm in.  Good luck!   :-+
Knowledge is like vitamin C, you should have some everyday!

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Subscribed and let it play.

I have a question. Does youtube places adds on non monetized channels?
No.
Do your videos have to be monetized to get revenue from us YouTube Red subscribers? 
A large portion of what I watch on YT is in the "small potatoes" category being de-monetized.
So are they diverting the income from us Red subscribers to producers we don't watch?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
It is not about loosing the money, it is loosing the little reward that you can see grow bigger each month. I attached a screenshot of my statistics in the first post.

55$ in 2017 is not a lot, but it is a lot more than in 2016, it motivated me and has been a driver for getting better gear, spend more time on editing, scripting etc.

I make more money from ads on my website, so basically they have reverted youtube to become a video host again, as it was in the old days where I just used it for embedding video and not something I have seen as a possibility to grow on in the same aspect as I do with my websites.

What about building up a Patreon base, then dropping ads on your youtube channel. I think this is what Mike does: https://www.patreon.com/mikeselectricstuff
You would only need what, 6 or so patreon donators to hit $60/yr?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Photon939

• Regular Contributor
Looks like my channel is in the same boat. I'm close to the number of hours required (3889 last year) but am still lacking a fair bit of subscribers. I doubt I will be able to make the cutoff in time but I guess if there was ever a kick in the butt to put up some videos I guess this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfXA36njBLmUK8Kfzck93pw

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Subscribed and let it play.

I have a question. Does youtube places adds on non monetized channels?
No.
Do your videos have to be monetized to get revenue from us YouTube Red subscribers? 
A large portion of what I watch on YT is in the "small potatoes" category being de-monetized.
So are they diverting the income from us Red subscribers to producers we don't watch?
Most probably yes. Since my channel is predominantely in portuguese, I am not sure if any of my viewers actually subscribes to Red and therefore can't tell for sure.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
It is not about loosing the money, it is loosing the little reward that you can see grow bigger each month. I attached a screenshot of my statistics in the first post.

55$ in 2017 is not a lot, but it is a lot more than in 2016, it motivated me and has been a driver for getting better gear, spend more time on editing, scripting etc.

I make more money from ads on my website, so basically they have reverted youtube to become a video host again, as it was in the old days where I just used it for embedding video and not something I have seen as a possibility to grow on in the same aspect as I do with my websites.

What about building up a Patreon base, then dropping ads on your youtube channel. I think this is what Mike does: https://www.patreon.com/mikeselectricstuff
You would only need what, 6 or so patreon donators to hit $60/yr?
Even very busy channels with millions of subscribers do alternate revenue income, such as Patreon, merch, etc. Diversification is the name of the game and Youtube is only the Window that increases visibility.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Asuka

• Regular Contributor
The money you make from YouTube comes from advertisers who are placing advertisements against your videos in the hope of increasing their sales. Look at this from the point of view of the advertisers. If you take money from them and they don't sell anything, they will  not be happy. Google are trying to protect the advertisers from people who try to get advertising money by running advertisements against videos which actually have no possibility of increasing the sales of the advertisers, or even worse actually damage the reputation of the advertisers, and decrease their sales.

This notion of gathering a group of people with youtube channels to add to the views of each other's videos so that the videos will be magically monetised and the money will start flowing is a remarkably bad idea if you think about it from the point of view of Google, who are trying to protect their advertisers against exactly the thing that you're proposing to do.

It's also a very odd notion that one deserves to be rewarded or encouraged by commercial organisations running advertising. This isn't what is happening when YouTube pays you money; these are not charitable contributions designed to benefit you or give you enjoyment in return for making videos. The money comes from people paying for advertising space on your video in exchange for benefits to themselves, not benefits to you.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:41:46 am by Asuka »

Offline madsbarnkobTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
Looks like my channel is in the same boat. I'm close to the number of hours required (3889 last year) but am still lacking a fair bit of subscribers. I doubt I will be able to make the cutoff in time but I guess if there was ever a kick in the butt to put up some videos I guess this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfXA36njBLmUK8Kfzck93pw

Subscribed :)

You should really set up your youtube channel front page with your videos organised in some playlists and show the most popular videos in the first row etc.

The money you make from YouTube comes from advertisers who are placing advertisements against your videos in the hope of increasing their sales. Look at this from the point of view of the advertisers. If you take money from them and they don't sell anything, they will  not be happy. Google are trying to protect the advertisers from people who try to get advertising money by running advertisements against videos which actually have no possibility of increasing the sales of the advertisers, or even worse actually damage the reputation of the advertisers, and decrease their sales.

This notion of gathering a group of people with youtube channels to add to the views of each other's videos so that the videos will be magically monetised and the money will start flowing is a remarkably bad idea if you think about it from the point of view of Google, who are trying to protect their advertisers against exactly the thing that you're proposing to do.

It's also a very odd notion that one deserves to be rewarded or encouraged by commercial organisations running advertising. This isn't what is happening when YouTube pays you money; these are not charitable contributions designed to benefit you or give you enjoyment in return for making videos. The money comes from people paying for advertising space on your video in exchange for benefits to themselves, not benefits to you.

I agree 100% with you, what I am trying to do is battle the very short "grace" period of 30 days where many can simply not fulfil those goals, but in 6 months they might have.

Breaking through on youtube with niche channels takes years and its a hard slap in the face that you are only given 30 days to save many years work.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:57:12 am by madsbarnkob »

Offline Photon939

• Regular Contributor
ww.youtube.com/channel/UCfXA36njBLmUK8Kfzck93pw]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfXA36njBLmUK8Kfzck93pw[/url]

Subscribed :)

You should really set up your youtube channel front page with your videos organised in some playlists and show the most popular videos in the first row etc.

Yeah I haven't really put much effort into building my channel, it was more of if I recorded anything I would toss it up and maybe get a few bucks at the end of the year as a bonus. Now it seems it's do or die.

I agree 100% with you, what I am trying to do is battle the very short "grace" period of 30 days where many can simply not fulfil those goals, but in 6 months they might have.

Breaking through on youtube with niche channels takes years and its a hard slap in the face that you are only given 30 days to save many years work.
[/quote]

I guess the question is if your channel does get canned at the end of the 30 day period and you do eventually meet the requirements will you get re-invited? Or is the barrier to entry different now?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
I guess the question is if your channel does get canned at the end of the 30 day period and you do eventually meet the requirements will you get re-invited? Or is the barrier to entry different now?

I have read nothing about channels being canned or closed down. Where is this fear coming from? Existing channels are going to continue with all the same content and subscribers as before. What's all this scaremongering about?

Offline Photon939

• Regular Contributor

I have read nothing about channels being canned or closed down. Where is this fear coming from? Existing channels are going to continue with all the same content and subscribers as before. What's all this scaremongering about?

Not the channel being deleted but being a youtube partner. Being able to monetize videos.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Not the channel being deleted but being a youtube partner. Being able to monetize videos.

Sure, so why all the talk of channels being canned, and people having just a few weeks to save them? It's not like it's the end of the world.

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
That sucks, I mean where else do you learn how cell antennas work, awesome video

Offline witnessmenow

• Contributor
  • Making Youtube Videos on ESP8266
    • My YouTube Channel
I'm also impacted by this, I have the sub count but not the view time. I'm 60000 minutes short (analytics report in minutes, but the restrictions is in hours, presumably to make the number looks smaller?)

I made $27 from YT last year, which is an absolutely woeful return on investment of the time I put into my videos (I think I could literally do one hour of free lance work as a software dev and pass that out :) ), so if I was in it for the money I'm doing the wrong thing! In fact the only reason I enabled ads is I'm convinced YT only recommends videos with ads.

I'm also fortunate enough that I can fund my own channel and projects, but I would hate to thing someone isn't doing a project or video because they can't afford it cause they didn't get the $100 or whatever. There is places where $100 would go quite a long way too.

There is a couple of things that bothers me about this:

• Are smaller channels going to get the same opportunities to be recommended now that they are not monetized?
  • The system favors longer videos

Regarding the longer videos, I made the decision that my style of videos would be as concise as possible, as that's how I like to view videos, and I feel like I'm being punished for it. I try to have as little fluff as possible on my videos. This doesn't suit all styles of videos but it works ok for me. My most popular video series is called two minute tidbits, which are heavily condensed videos on one subject or area. Making videos this short takes more time than you think! The average time it would take me one is maybe 4-6 hours.

I'm probably going to wind up short of the target of 4k hours even with the boost my channel got from Dave (It's going to be quite close though). But I'm not going to stop making videos, or even change what videos I make or how I make them.

I'm just going to have to knock it out of the park for the next month :)

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Regarding the longer videos, I made the decision that my style of videos would be as concise as possible, as that's how I like to view videos

I have a decision threshold of about 20 mins for video length. If a video is listed as longer than 20 mins I am very unlikely to watch it unless I think the content will be mesmerizing. (Talking head videos are not mesmerizing so they rarely get past the filter.)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Even very busy channels with millions of subscribers do alternate revenue income, such as Patreon, merch, etc. Diversification is the name of the game and Youtube is only the Window that increases visibility.

My point is cutting off Youtube from their share of the revenue, to the extent that is possible. If they see increased or neutral revenue from this small channel change, it will have been a good decision.
Also people spend more time on websites without ads, I'm sure videos are similar.

Although as witnessmenow mentioned above, Youtube might screw you some other way by hiding/not recommending your videos that are not monetized.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor

My guess is that the system was exploited in some way, for instance thousands of kids worldwide opening useless channels and bringing their friends over to click on ads so they can get a few $$$. This kind of behavior will definitely hurt the business model.

That's more a job of bots. However, I think that the main issue simply the shrinking pool of advertisement money. That's not just YT problem.

Small fish will never be interesting for advertisers until they "grow" to a certain size.

Again, the advertisers are normally after the viewers, not after the channels they come through.

What's worrying, though, is that the same logic can be applied to the AdSense program in general, and ads will be removed from small websites/blogs that Google thinks don't have enough traffic.

Advertisers don't care so much about the channels unless there is controversy (e.g. the recent Paul Logan idiocy)  but the management overhead to pay out e.g. the $20 a small channel makes annually is more than the entire channel brings in revenue for Youtube. They aren't running a charity, so it is hard to blame they don't want to sponsor such stuff out of their own pocket. Moreover, this isn't anything new.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Looks like my channel is in the same boat. ....
A lot of members do not add their YT link to their profile.  My feeling is a YTer needs to get their word out every way possible including getting on my list (link in my profile).  Good luck
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.

I have a decision threshold of about 20 mins for video length.

There are only two time filters.  One is for less than 4 min and the other is for over 20 min.  If I get too many hits, the first filter I go for is over 20 min.  I wish there were more time filters, my favorite would be 10 min.  I never pick less than 4 min.

I think most YTers do not know about filters ?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
I use the filters all the time. The thing that annoys me is that when searching for newest first, there is decent resolution for the first few results, but then the results get exponentially older and more sparse, as if whatever you're searching for is something of recent interest.

For example, if you search for "solder" and sort by upload date, you'll see about 26 results from within the past 24 hours. If you then scroll down to older videos, there are only four results from 10 months ago. I don't believe that all of a sudden people are more interested in solder.

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf