Author Topic: Youtube firing all monitized channels <1000 subs, lets make a subscriber pool  (Read 15593 times)

Offline madsbarnkobTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
Kaizer Power Electronics,
Today we are announcing changes to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). While our goal remains to keep the YPP open to as many channels as possible, we recognize we need more safeguards in place to protect creator revenue across the YouTube ecosystem.
LEARN MORE

What's Changing
Under the new eligibility requirements announced today, your YouTube channel, Kaizer Power Electronics, is no longer eligible for monetization because it doesn’t meet the new threshold of 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. As a result, your channel will lose access to all monetization tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Program on February 20, 2018 unless you surpass this threshold in the next 30 days. Accordingly, this email serves as 30 days notice that your YouTube Partner Program terms are terminated.
One of YouTube’s core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money from a thriving channel. Creators who haven’t yet reached this new threshold can continue to benefit from our Creator Academy, our Help Center, and all the resources on the Creator Site to grow their channels. Once your channel reaches the new threshold, it will be reviewed to make sure it adheres to our policies and guidelines, and if so, monetization will be re-enabled.

I only have 2416 viewed hours last year and 802 subscribers, I really fear that loosing monitization on 120 videos means that I am never getting them all monitized again.

I suggest that we make a electronics channels view time/subscriber pool and help eachother/channels that are currently on the way up, but still below these measures, but with a fraction of hope to reach these goals in the next 30 days!

I need 1584 hours of view and 200 subscribers the next 30 days on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/kaizerpowerelectronicsdk60 and this is my playlist with teardowns that are currently the collection of the longest videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw4xMO1xCMSV9REhsRRaTXc-AULq7lAJl

Who else is the same boat as me?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:46:33 am by madsbarnkob »

The following users thanked this post: Koen

Offline Moshly

• Regular Contributor
  • What's wrong with this thing
 >:( YOUBASTARDTUBE  >:(

Subbed & watching you now in 5 tabs.  ^-^ (hope that works)

Good luck.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
Subscribed. I have just clicked on PLAY ALL in your channel. Hope it helps.

Offline station240

• Supporter
Just make 2x 1 hour videos on the topic of your choice, if your subscribers watch those, you'd get a lot closer to the target of 1584 hours of viewing.

But yeah, Youtube are nuts. 30 days notice huh, you morons.
The >1000 subscribers limit I get, but the 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months punishes new channels and those who make short concise videos, rather than EEVBlog style 30 minute rambling.

• Frequent Contributor
Thank you all very much and I agree that the play time criteria is really harsh when there is no videos over 30 minutes and many are sub 5 minutes.

I hope more people are coming forward with needs and I will sub those.

Offline brabus

• Frequent Contributor
Subscribed and clicked on PLAY ALL. I don't really have time to actively watch all of them, but if it's OK for you I will just leave it there day and night. ;-)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Thank you all very much and I agree that the play time criteria is really harsh when there is no videos over 30 minutes and many are sub 5 minutes.

I hope more people are coming forward with needs and I will sub those.
The experience of most channels, even technical ones, is long videos don't get a lot of views, especially from viewers who watch the videos the whole way through. So, the route to adequate viewing hours to fulfil the CPP requirement is probably more appealing 5 minute videos.

Offline Efig

Subscribed, I hope this helps.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
This channel does not have many long videos. The opposite it more true. Many videos are just around 30 to 60 seconds. No introduction, no explanations, just (for example) some music played on a tesla coil. Efficient for the viewer, but not much time registered by YouTube. Adding some introduction etc will easily double the time registered by YouTube without annoying the viewers.

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
Subscribed from before but didn't have time to watch all your vids. You get a play all from me and thank you for the great videos!

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
I need 1584 hours of view and 200 subscribers the next 30 days on my channel:

This is not a sustainable model. The world is not a charity.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
Why YT is doing this? Why allow monetization only to some channels? What they are tring to avoid with this change?

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
I don't know how many hours of viewing you have now but I see your subs are now up a little. I've just subscribed and I will leave the videos running to get you some more view hours :-)
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

• Frequent Contributor
I need 1584 hours of view and 200 subscribers the next 30 days on my channel:
This is not a sustainable model. The world is not a charity.

I can see it might be read as me begging for help, but the idea was there must be so many more channels similar to mine that is about to get hit, but we we all pooled together, subscribed eachother and played some full play lists, we could help eachother keep the little funding it makes and watching the graph grow is a major motivator in making better videos.

This channel does not have many long videos. The opposite it more true. Many videos are just around 30 to 60 seconds. No introduction, no explanations, just (for example) some music played on a tesla coil. Efficient for the viewer, but not much time registered by YouTube. Adding some introduction etc will easily double the time registered by YouTube without annoying the viewers.

Yes, many of my old videos are short demonstrations that is used embedded on my website, so they do not stand out that great alone, however much has improved since as I hope you can see on the latest ones :)

Why YT is doing this? Why allow monetization only to some channels? What they are tring to avoid with this change?

Is it about a year ago now that Dave made a video about youtube cutting down on ad revenue? I guess they are trying to move away from amateurs and want to be a real competitor to other streaming services, so they want more money to pay the users that generate the most traffic.

They forgot who laid the road for them, they forgot that it was the amateurs that made youtube what it is today. It saddens me after having used it for so many years (electronics channel is much newer than my original account)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
It's funny that Youtube was quite happy to earn viewership and keep monetized a video where the top Youtuber posted a disgusting video that shows a cadaver of a japanese person that just committed suicide. After some backlash, the video was taken down by the owner himself, but not until after it had tens of millions of views, and Youtube acted after the fact by issuing a bogus statement they acted accordingly in this case and will take the "appropriate measures" to reduce this.

This, together with the demonetization backlash/outrage from several sources around the internet about videos that had nothing like the example above, most probably prompted the increase in the cutoff level.

I think at the end it boils down to: "if you abuse the system, the system fights back.".

As for myself, I only hope Youtube still allows my small channel to even exist. 

I wish you good luck on making the cutoff.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Frequent Contributor
I don't know how many hours of viewing you have now but I see your subs are now up a little. I've just subscribed and I will leave the videos running to get you some more view hours :-)

I don't know until 48 hours has passed, there is only real time statistics on the number of views, which is double of my normal view rate, so thank you all for the support, I hope it will not be in vain.  :phew:

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
I do not quite understand your disappointment with the monetization threshold change. How much $ do you think you will lose?  I have a quite bigger channel (in terms of both subscribers and views) and let me tell ya, it does not make any money that would really be worth the trouble.

For your size of channel, I am guessing a couple of $ a month at best. So I do not think that this change is any kind of big hit for anyone. But I do not judge if  that change does make sense or if it is reasonable (which I think it is not). I might have lost few hundreds of $ because I started my monetization not that long ago. I have the channel almost for 10 years.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:11:54 pm by Yansi »

• Frequent Contributor
I do not quite understand your disappointment with the monetization threshold change. How much $ do you think you will lose?  I have a quite bigger channel (in terms of both subscribers and views) and let me tell ya, it does not make any money that would really be worth the trouble.

For your size of channel, I am guessing a couple of $ a month at best. So I do not think that this change is any kind of big hit for anyone. But I do not judge if  that change does make sense or if it is reasonable (which I think it is not). I might have lost few hundreds of $ because I started my monetization not that long ago. I have the channel almost for 10 years.

It is not about loosing the money, it is loosing the little reward that you can see grow bigger each month. I attached a screenshot of my statistics in the first post.

55$ in 2017 is not a lot, but it is a lot more than in 2016, it motivated me and has been a driver for getting better gear, spend more time on editing, scripting etc.

I make more money from ads on my website, so basically they have reverted youtube to become a video host again, as it was in the old days where I just used it for embedding video and not something I have seen as a possibility to grow on in the same aspect as I do with my websites.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
OK, understand then. But I do not think the ad revenue shall be considered a measure of  size, success or anything.  What I have noticed is that the revenue is proportional to the negative derivative of your views. Yes, neagative derivative.  The more views you loose per a unit of time, the more will they pay you. Thats really how I see it working on my channel. If I see a spike of views, I can be almost certain than the revenue will come down.  It does not make much sense if any, but I have completely resigned on trying to understand it.  Also the amount of ad clicks count is increasing on my channel, but by no means is the revenue increasing. It really does the opposite.

There is not much we can do about the income. And as I am not a youtuber by any means, I leave the revenue as small insignificant bonus and do not care about it any more.

I did want to bitch about how much it shows me I should have earned compared to what have they really payed me... so I opened my adsense account - only to see that it stopped showing the earning total.  :horse: >:(
So now I even don't know how much I have earned. Great, great, great.  The column is now replaced with some "active view viewable BETA" piece of crap nobody cares about.  :rant:

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Subscribed and let it play.

I have a question. Does youtube places adds on non monetized channels?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Subscribed and let it play.

I have a question. Does youtube places adds on non monetized channels?
No.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor

I think it is mainly because advertisers don't care about their ads running on channels with less than 1000 subscribers and low amount of views. There is no sense in paying for that from the business perspective. The same ad running on EEVBlog or PewDiePie's channel would bring in a lot more revenue.

Does it suck for people just starting out or doing niche work in their little corner? Sure it does. On the other hand, it is advertisers' and Google money, so their rules too  :-//

I personally find the ad-financed videos model a bit weird from the economical point of view - for the smaller channels the Patreon/donations are probably much more viable. Small fish will never be interesting for advertisers until they "grow" to a certain size. The other thing is that the advertising money pool is generally shrinking, companies are finding more effective ways of doing marketing than paying ad networks to show their ads.

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
I think it is mainly because advertisers don't care about their ads running on channels with less than 1000 subscribers and low amount of views.

If it was just the number of subscribers/viewers it wouldn't really matter, since advertisers are charged per click or per view, so smaller channels may bring them less revenue but also cost them much less, probably by the same ratio.

My guess is that the system was exploited in some way, for instance thousands of kids worldwide opening useless channels and bringing their friends over to click on ads so they can get a few $$$. This kind of behavior will definitely hurt the business model.

Small fish will never be interesting for advertisers until they "grow" to a certain size.

Again, the advertisers are normally after the viewers, not after the channels they come through.

What's worrying, though, is that the same logic can be applied to the AdSense program in general, and ads will be removed from small websites/blogs that Google thinks don't have enough traffic.
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor

afaiu google can't figure out how to automatically check is a video is "advertiser friendly", so instead they intend to hire 10000 people to actually watch videos before they get monetized, to make that remotely possible they have to reduce the number of videos they have to consider 

edit: it was only half right, https://www.recode.net/2018/1/16/16898660/youtube-content-advertising-revenue-program-new-rules-google-preferred
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:17:44 pm by langwadt »

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
That would be insane, right?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf