Author Topic: Youtube firing all monitized channels <1000 subs, lets make a subscriber pool  (Read 15595 times)

Offline madsbarnkobTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
Kaizer Power Electronics,
Today we are announcing changes to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). While our goal remains to keep the YPP open to as many channels as possible, we recognize we need more safeguards in place to protect creator revenue across the YouTube ecosystem.
LEARN MORE

What's Changing
Under the new eligibility requirements announced today, your YouTube channel, Kaizer Power Electronics, is no longer eligible for monetization because it doesn’t meet the new threshold of 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. As a result, your channel will lose access to all monetization tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Program on February 20, 2018 unless you surpass this threshold in the next 30 days. Accordingly, this email serves as 30 days notice that your YouTube Partner Program terms are terminated.
One of YouTube’s core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money from a thriving channel. Creators who haven’t yet reached this new threshold can continue to benefit from our Creator Academy, our Help Center, and all the resources on the Creator Site to grow their channels. Once your channel reaches the new threshold, it will be reviewed to make sure it adheres to our policies and guidelines, and if so, monetization will be re-enabled.

I only have 2416 viewed hours last year and 802 subscribers, I really fear that loosing monitization on 120 videos means that I am never getting them all monitized again.

I suggest that we make a electronics channels view time/subscriber pool and help eachother/channels that are currently on the way up, but still below these measures, but with a fraction of hope to reach these goals in the next 30 days!

I need 1584 hours of view and 200 subscribers the next 30 days on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/kaizerpowerelectronicsdk60 and this is my playlist with teardowns that are currently the collection of the longest videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw4xMO1xCMSV9REhsRRaTXc-AULq7lAJl

Who else is the same boat as me?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:46:33 am by madsbarnkob »

The following users thanked this post: Koen

Offline Moshly

• Regular Contributor
  • What's wrong with this thing
 >:( YOUBASTARDTUBE  >:(

Subbed & watching you now in 5 tabs.  ^-^ (hope that works)

Good luck.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
Subscribed. I have just clicked on PLAY ALL in your channel. Hope it helps.

Offline station240

• Supporter
Just make 2x 1 hour videos on the topic of your choice, if your subscribers watch those, you'd get a lot closer to the target of 1584 hours of viewing.

But yeah, Youtube are nuts. 30 days notice huh, you morons.
The >1000 subscribers limit I get, but the 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months punishes new channels and those who make short concise videos, rather than EEVBlog style 30 minute rambling.

• Frequent Contributor
Thank you all very much and I agree that the play time criteria is really harsh when there is no videos over 30 minutes and many are sub 5 minutes.

I hope more people are coming forward with needs and I will sub those.

Offline brabus

• Frequent Contributor
Subscribed and clicked on PLAY ALL. I don't really have time to actively watch all of them, but if it's OK for you I will just leave it there day and night. ;-)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Thank you all very much and I agree that the play time criteria is really harsh when there is no videos over 30 minutes and many are sub 5 minutes.

I hope more people are coming forward with needs and I will sub those.
The experience of most channels, even technical ones, is long videos don't get a lot of views, especially from viewers who watch the videos the whole way through. So, the route to adequate viewing hours to fulfil the CPP requirement is probably more appealing 5 minute videos.

Offline Efig

Subscribed, I hope this helps.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
This channel does not have many long videos. The opposite it more true. Many videos are just around 30 to 60 seconds. No introduction, no explanations, just (for example) some music played on a tesla coil. Efficient for the viewer, but not much time registered by YouTube. Adding some introduction etc will easily double the time registered by YouTube without annoying the viewers.

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
Subscribed from before but didn't have time to watch all your vids. You get a play all from me and thank you for the great videos!

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
I need 1584 hours of view and 200 subscribers the next 30 days on my channel:

This is not a sustainable model. The world is not a charity.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
Why YT is doing this? Why allow monetization only to some channels? What they are tring to avoid with this change?

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
I don't know how many hours of viewing you have now but I see your subs are now up a little. I've just subscribed and I will leave the videos running to get you some more view hours :-)
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

• Frequent Contributor
I need 1584 hours of view and 200 subscribers the next 30 days on my channel:
This is not a sustainable model. The world is not a charity.

I can see it might be read as me begging for help, but the idea was there must be so many more channels similar to mine that is about to get hit, but we we all pooled together, subscribed eachother and played some full play lists, we could help eachother keep the little funding it makes and watching the graph grow is a major motivator in making better videos.

This channel does not have many long videos. The opposite it more true. Many videos are just around 30 to 60 seconds. No introduction, no explanations, just (for example) some music played on a tesla coil. Efficient for the viewer, but not much time registered by YouTube. Adding some introduction etc will easily double the time registered by YouTube without annoying the viewers.

Yes, many of my old videos are short demonstrations that is used embedded on my website, so they do not stand out that great alone, however much has improved since as I hope you can see on the latest ones :)

Why YT is doing this? Why allow monetization only to some channels? What they are tring to avoid with this change?

Is it about a year ago now that Dave made a video about youtube cutting down on ad revenue? I guess they are trying to move away from amateurs and want to be a real competitor to other streaming services, so they want more money to pay the users that generate the most traffic.

They forgot who laid the road for them, they forgot that it was the amateurs that made youtube what it is today. It saddens me after having used it for so many years (electronics channel is much newer than my original account)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
It's funny that Youtube was quite happy to earn viewership and keep monetized a video where the top Youtuber posted a disgusting video that shows a cadaver of a japanese person that just committed suicide. After some backlash, the video was taken down by the owner himself, but not until after it had tens of millions of views, and Youtube acted after the fact by issuing a bogus statement they acted accordingly in this case and will take the "appropriate measures" to reduce this.

This, together with the demonetization backlash/outrage from several sources around the internet about videos that had nothing like the example above, most probably prompted the increase in the cutoff level.

I think at the end it boils down to: "if you abuse the system, the system fights back.".

As for myself, I only hope Youtube still allows my small channel to even exist. 

I wish you good luck on making the cutoff.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Frequent Contributor
I don't know how many hours of viewing you have now but I see your subs are now up a little. I've just subscribed and I will leave the videos running to get you some more view hours :-)

I don't know until 48 hours has passed, there is only real time statistics on the number of views, which is double of my normal view rate, so thank you all for the support, I hope it will not be in vain.  :phew:

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
I do not quite understand your disappointment with the monetization threshold change. How much $ do you think you will lose?  I have a quite bigger channel (in terms of both subscribers and views) and let me tell ya, it does not make any money that would really be worth the trouble.

For your size of channel, I am guessing a couple of $ a month at best. So I do not think that this change is any kind of big hit for anyone. But I do not judge if  that change does make sense or if it is reasonable (which I think it is not). I might have lost few hundreds of $ because I started my monetization not that long ago. I have the channel almost for 10 years.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:11:54 pm by Yansi »

• Frequent Contributor
I do not quite understand your disappointment with the monetization threshold change. How much $ do you think you will lose?  I have a quite bigger channel (in terms of both subscribers and views) and let me tell ya, it does not make any money that would really be worth the trouble.

For your size of channel, I am guessing a couple of $ a month at best. So I do not think that this change is any kind of big hit for anyone. But I do not judge if  that change does make sense or if it is reasonable (which I think it is not). I might have lost few hundreds of $ because I started my monetization not that long ago. I have the channel almost for 10 years.

It is not about loosing the money, it is loosing the little reward that you can see grow bigger each month. I attached a screenshot of my statistics in the first post.

55$ in 2017 is not a lot, but it is a lot more than in 2016, it motivated me and has been a driver for getting better gear, spend more time on editing, scripting etc.

I make more money from ads on my website, so basically they have reverted youtube to become a video host again, as it was in the old days where I just used it for embedding video and not something I have seen as a possibility to grow on in the same aspect as I do with my websites.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
OK, understand then. But I do not think the ad revenue shall be considered a measure of  size, success or anything.  What I have noticed is that the revenue is proportional to the negative derivative of your views. Yes, neagative derivative.  The more views you loose per a unit of time, the more will they pay you. Thats really how I see it working on my channel. If I see a spike of views, I can be almost certain than the revenue will come down.  It does not make much sense if any, but I have completely resigned on trying to understand it.  Also the amount of ad clicks count is increasing on my channel, but by no means is the revenue increasing. It really does the opposite.

There is not much we can do about the income. And as I am not a youtuber by any means, I leave the revenue as small insignificant bonus and do not care about it any more.

I did want to bitch about how much it shows me I should have earned compared to what have they really payed me... so I opened my adsense account - only to see that it stopped showing the earning total.  :horse: >:(
So now I even don't know how much I have earned. Great, great, great.  The column is now replaced with some "active view viewable BETA" piece of crap nobody cares about.  :rant:

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Subscribed and let it play.

I have a question. Does youtube places adds on non monetized channels?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious

No.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor

I think it is mainly because advertisers don't care about their ads running on channels with less than 1000 subscribers and low amount of views. There is no sense in paying for that from the business perspective. The same ad running on EEVBlog or PewDiePie's channel would bring in a lot more revenue.

Does it suck for people just starting out or doing niche work in their little corner? Sure it does. On the other hand, it is advertisers' and Google money, so their rules too  :-//

I personally find the ad-financed videos model a bit weird from the economical point of view - for the smaller channels the Patreon/donations are probably much more viable. Small fish will never be interesting for advertisers until they "grow" to a certain size. The other thing is that the advertising money pool is generally shrinking, companies are finding more effective ways of doing marketing than paying ad networks to show their ads.

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
I think it is mainly because advertisers don't care about their ads running on channels with less than 1000 subscribers and low amount of views.

If it was just the number of subscribers/viewers it wouldn't really matter, since advertisers are charged per click or per view, so smaller channels may bring them less revenue but also cost them much less, probably by the same ratio.

My guess is that the system was exploited in some way, for instance thousands of kids worldwide opening useless channels and bringing their friends over to click on ads so they can get a few $$$. This kind of behavior will definitely hurt the business model.

Small fish will never be interesting for advertisers until they "grow" to a certain size.

Again, the advertisers are normally after the viewers, not after the channels they come through.

What's worrying, though, is that the same logic can be applied to the AdSense program in general, and ads will be removed from small websites/blogs that Google thinks don't have enough traffic.
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor

afaiu google can't figure out how to automatically check is a video is "advertiser friendly", so instead they intend to hire 10000 people to actually watch videos before they get monetized, to make that remotely possible they have to reduce the number of videos they have to consider 

edit: it was only half right, https://www.recode.net/2018/1/16/16898660/youtube-content-advertising-revenue-program-new-rules-google-preferred
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:17:44 pm by langwadt »

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
That would be insane, right?

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
afaiu google can't figure out how to automatically check is a video is "advertiser friendly", so instead they intend to hire 10000 people to actually watch videos before they get monetized, to make that remotely possible they have to reduce the number of videos they have to consider

As plausible an explanation as any  :)
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

There is actually nothing new here, it's how it used to be. In fact it used to be more stringent.
"Back in the day" you had to be personally invited by Youtube to join the partner program and it was a big "leveling up" moment when you got that email.

What do they get from this?
1) More money. A lot of small channels adds up, and they would still be running ads on them
2) Less hassle. Tens of thousands less channels to deal with.
3) They can play the white knight in that they are protecting creators.

Only problem it won't stop the scammers as they can simply pay for more views, and likely you start to see these paid view companies offer "watch time" for sale in order to get your channel "leveled up".

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

The only problem I think comes if your channel is not monetised and you suddenly get a viral hit. You'll likely lose a huge chunk of money (approx $1.50/ 1000 views, so a 1M view viral video would be worth say $1500) before they recognise it and monetise your channel.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
The only problem I think comes if your channel is not monetised and you suddenly get a viral hit. You'll likely lose a huge chunk of money (approx $1.50/ 1000 views, so a 1M view viral video would be worth say $1500) before they recognise it and monetise your channel.

But that's like winning the lottery. It's nothing to base any financial plans around.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

But that's like winning the lottery. It's nothing to base any financial plans around.

Sure but the point is that maybe it gives you more incentive to create content if you know that if one happens to go viral then you are already monestised.
But once again, it never used to be like this, a viral video was your ticket to getting that partnership email.

Offline marcus_cdn

• Think it right the first time
Tesla coils!  I'm in.  Good luck!   :-+
Knowledge is like vitamin C, you should have some everyday!

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK

No.
Do your videos have to be monetized to get revenue from us YouTube Red subscribers? 
A large portion of what I watch on YT is in the "small potatoes" category being de-monetized.
So are they diverting the income from us Red subscribers to producers we don't watch?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
It is not about loosing the money, it is loosing the little reward that you can see grow bigger each month. I attached a screenshot of my statistics in the first post.

55$ in 2017 is not a lot, but it is a lot more than in 2016, it motivated me and has been a driver for getting better gear, spend more time on editing, scripting etc.

I make more money from ads on my website, so basically they have reverted youtube to become a video host again, as it was in the old days where I just used it for embedding video and not something I have seen as a possibility to grow on in the same aspect as I do with my websites.

What about building up a Patreon base, then dropping ads on your youtube channel. I think this is what Mike does: https://www.patreon.com/mikeselectricstuff
You would only need what, 6 or so patreon donators to hit $60/yr?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Photon939

• Regular Contributor
Looks like my channel is in the same boat. I'm close to the number of hours required (3889 last year) but am still lacking a fair bit of subscribers. I doubt I will be able to make the cutoff in time but I guess if there was ever a kick in the butt to put up some videos I guess this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfXA36njBLmUK8Kfzck93pw

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious

No.
Do your videos have to be monetized to get revenue from us YouTube Red subscribers? 
A large portion of what I watch on YT is in the "small potatoes" category being de-monetized.
So are they diverting the income from us Red subscribers to producers we don't watch?
Most probably yes. Since my channel is predominantely in portuguese, I am not sure if any of my viewers actually subscribes to Red and therefore can't tell for sure.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious

What about building up a Patreon base, then dropping ads on your youtube channel. I think this is what Mike does: https://www.patreon.com/mikeselectricstuff
You would only need what, 6 or so patreon donators to hit $60/yr?
Even very busy channels with millions of subscribers do alternate revenue income, such as Patreon, merch, etc. Diversification is the name of the game and Youtube is only the Window that increases visibility.

Offline Asuka

• Regular Contributor
The money you make from YouTube comes from advertisers who are placing advertisements against your videos in the hope of increasing their sales. Look at this from the point of view of the advertisers. If you take money from them and they don't sell anything, they will  not be happy. Google are trying to protect the advertisers from people who try to get advertising money by running advertisements against videos which actually have no possibility of increasing the sales of the advertisers, or even worse actually damage the reputation of the advertisers, and decrease their sales.

This notion of gathering a group of people with youtube channels to add to the views of each other's videos so that the videos will be magically monetised and the money will start flowing is a remarkably bad idea if you think about it from the point of view of Google, who are trying to protect their advertisers against exactly the thing that you're proposing to do.

It's also a very odd notion that one deserves to be rewarded or encouraged by commercial organisations running advertising. This isn't what is happening when YouTube pays you money; these are not charitable contributions designed to benefit you or give you enjoyment in return for making videos. The money comes from people paying for advertising space on your video in exchange for benefits to themselves, not benefits to you.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:41:46 am by Asuka »

• Frequent Contributor
Looks like my channel is in the same boat. I'm close to the number of hours required (3889 last year) but am still lacking a fair bit of subscribers. I doubt I will be able to make the cutoff in time but I guess if there was ever a kick in the butt to put up some videos I guess this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfXA36njBLmUK8Kfzck93pw

Subscribed :)

You should really set up your youtube channel front page with your videos organised in some playlists and show the most popular videos in the first row etc.

The money you make from YouTube comes from advertisers who are placing advertisements against your videos in the hope of increasing their sales. Look at this from the point of view of the advertisers. If you take money from them and they don't sell anything, they will  not be happy. Google are trying to protect the advertisers from people who try to get advertising money by running advertisements against videos which actually have no possibility of increasing the sales of the advertisers, or even worse actually damage the reputation of the advertisers, and decrease their sales.

This notion of gathering a group of people with youtube channels to add to the views of each other's videos so that the videos will be magically monetised and the money will start flowing is a remarkably bad idea if you think about it from the point of view of Google, who are trying to protect their advertisers against exactly the thing that you're proposing to do.

It's also a very odd notion that one deserves to be rewarded or encouraged by commercial organisations running advertising. This isn't what is happening when YouTube pays you money; these are not charitable contributions designed to benefit you or give you enjoyment in return for making videos. The money comes from people paying for advertising space on your video in exchange for benefits to themselves, not benefits to you.

I agree 100% with you, what I am trying to do is battle the very short "grace" period of 30 days where many can simply not fulfil those goals, but in 6 months they might have.

Breaking through on youtube with niche channels takes years and its a hard slap in the face that you are only given 30 days to save many years work.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:57:12 am by madsbarnkob »

Offline Photon939

• Regular Contributor
ww.youtube.com/channel/UCfXA36njBLmUK8Kfzck93pw]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfXA36njBLmUK8Kfzck93pw[/url]

Subscribed :)

You should really set up your youtube channel front page with your videos organised in some playlists and show the most popular videos in the first row etc.

Yeah I haven't really put much effort into building my channel, it was more of if I recorded anything I would toss it up and maybe get a few bucks at the end of the year as a bonus. Now it seems it's do or die.

I agree 100% with you, what I am trying to do is battle the very short "grace" period of 30 days where many can simply not fulfil those goals, but in 6 months they might have.

Breaking through on youtube with niche channels takes years and its a hard slap in the face that you are only given 30 days to save many years work.
[/quote]

I guess the question is if your channel does get canned at the end of the 30 day period and you do eventually meet the requirements will you get re-invited? Or is the barrier to entry different now?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
I guess the question is if your channel does get canned at the end of the 30 day period and you do eventually meet the requirements will you get re-invited? Or is the barrier to entry different now?

I have read nothing about channels being canned or closed down. Where is this fear coming from? Existing channels are going to continue with all the same content and subscribers as before. What's all this scaremongering about?

Offline Photon939

• Regular Contributor

I have read nothing about channels being canned or closed down. Where is this fear coming from? Existing channels are going to continue with all the same content and subscribers as before. What's all this scaremongering about?

Not the channel being deleted but being a youtube partner. Being able to monetize videos.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Not the channel being deleted but being a youtube partner. Being able to monetize videos.

Sure, so why all the talk of channels being canned, and people having just a few weeks to save them? It's not like it's the end of the world.

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
That sucks, I mean where else do you learn how cell antennas work, awesome video

Offline witnessmenow

• Contributor
  • Making Youtube Videos on ESP8266
    • My YouTube Channel
I'm also impacted by this, I have the sub count but not the view time. I'm 60000 minutes short (analytics report in minutes, but the restrictions is in hours, presumably to make the number looks smaller?)

I made $27 from YT last year, which is an absolutely woeful return on investment of the time I put into my videos (I think I could literally do one hour of free lance work as a software dev and pass that out :) ), so if I was in it for the money I'm doing the wrong thing! In fact the only reason I enabled ads is I'm convinced YT only recommends videos with ads.

I'm also fortunate enough that I can fund my own channel and projects, but I would hate to thing someone isn't doing a project or video because they can't afford it cause they didn't get the $100 or whatever. There is places where $100 would go quite a long way too.

There is a couple of things that bothers me about this:

• Are smaller channels going to get the same opportunities to be recommended now that they are not monetized?
  • The system favors longer videos

Regarding the longer videos, I made the decision that my style of videos would be as concise as possible, as that's how I like to view videos, and I feel like I'm being punished for it. I try to have as little fluff as possible on my videos. This doesn't suit all styles of videos but it works ok for me. My most popular video series is called two minute tidbits, which are heavily condensed videos on one subject or area. Making videos this short takes more time than you think! The average time it would take me one is maybe 4-6 hours.

I'm probably going to wind up short of the target of 4k hours even with the boost my channel got from Dave (It's going to be quite close though). But I'm not going to stop making videos, or even change what videos I make or how I make them.

I'm just going to have to knock it out of the park for the next month :)

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Regarding the longer videos, I made the decision that my style of videos would be as concise as possible, as that's how I like to view videos

I have a decision threshold of about 20 mins for video length. If a video is listed as longer than 20 mins I am very unlikely to watch it unless I think the content will be mesmerizing. (Talking head videos are not mesmerizing so they rarely get past the filter.)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Even very busy channels with millions of subscribers do alternate revenue income, such as Patreon, merch, etc. Diversification is the name of the game and Youtube is only the Window that increases visibility.

My point is cutting off Youtube from their share of the revenue, to the extent that is possible. If they see increased or neutral revenue from this small channel change, it will have been a good decision.
Also people spend more time on websites without ads, I'm sure videos are similar.

Although as witnessmenow mentioned above, Youtube might screw you some other way by hiding/not recommending your videos that are not monetized.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor

My guess is that the system was exploited in some way, for instance thousands of kids worldwide opening useless channels and bringing their friends over to click on ads so they can get a few $$$. This kind of behavior will definitely hurt the business model.

That's more a job of bots. However, I think that the main issue simply the shrinking pool of advertisement money. That's not just YT problem.

Small fish will never be interesting for advertisers until they "grow" to a certain size.

Again, the advertisers are normally after the viewers, not after the channels they come through.

What's worrying, though, is that the same logic can be applied to the AdSense program in general, and ads will be removed from small websites/blogs that Google thinks don't have enough traffic.

Advertisers don't care so much about the channels unless there is controversy (e.g. the recent Paul Logan idiocy)  but the management overhead to pay out e.g. the $20 a small channel makes annually is more than the entire channel brings in revenue for Youtube. They aren't running a charity, so it is hard to blame they don't want to sponsor such stuff out of their own pocket. Moreover, this isn't anything new.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Looks like my channel is in the same boat. ....
A lot of members do not add their YT link to their profile.  My feeling is a YTer needs to get their word out every way possible including getting on my list (link in my profile).  Good luck
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.

I have a decision threshold of about 20 mins for video length.

There are only two time filters.  One is for less than 4 min and the other is for over 20 min.  If I get too many hits, the first filter I go for is over 20 min.  I wish there were more time filters, my favorite would be 10 min.  I never pick less than 4 min.

I think most YTers do not know about filters ?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
I use the filters all the time. The thing that annoys me is that when searching for newest first, there is decent resolution for the first few results, but then the results get exponentially older and more sparse, as if whatever you're searching for is something of recent interest.

For example, if you search for "solder" and sort by upload date, you'll see about 26 results from within the past 24 hours. If you then scroll down to older videos, there are only four results from 10 months ago. I don't believe that all of a sudden people are more interested in solder.

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
I heard about this.  That's insane!  Youtube are getting more and more ridiculous.  How are smaller channels expected to even have a chance?  Then again that's how capitalism works, only the big survive, sadly that's the approach YT is taking.

Oddly I did not get the notice yet on my channel and it's very small, I just use it to post the odd random video.  I'm sure I'm bound to get hit since I'm way below the threshold.   When you look at analytics it's in minutes but their threshold is in hours.  4,000 hours is a LOT.   

Subbed to your channel, I already had watched lot of your videos and I'm just playing that list in the background on another tab.   I wonder if the hours still count for videos that I already watched though.  Could be an interesting experiment to do in a more controlled way.

I guess a good idea to cheat this system might be to upload hour+ videos of anything, does not really matter, and just ask subscribers to play the whole playlist in another tab.    Does not even need to have sound or they can mute it.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
I'm also impacted by this, I have the sub count but not the view time. I'm 60000 minutes short (analytics report in minutes, but the restrictions is in hours, presumably to make the number looks smaller?)

I made $27 from YT last year, which is an absolutely woeful return on investment of the time I put into my videos (I think I could literally do one hour of free lance work as a software dev and pass that out :) ), so if I was in it for the money I'm doing the wrong thing! In fact the only reason I enabled ads is I'm convinced YT only recommends videos with ads.

I'm also fortunate enough that I can fund my own channel and projects, but I would hate to thing someone isn't doing a project or video because they can't afford it cause they didn't get the $100 or whatever. There is places where $100 would go quite a long way too.

• Are smaller channels going to get the same opportunities to be recommended now that they are not monetized?

Regarding the longer videos, I made the decision that my style of videos would be as concise as possible, as that's how I like to view videos, and I feel like I'm being punished for it. I try to have as little fluff as possible on my videos. This doesn't suit all styles of videos but it works ok for me. My most popular video series is called two minute tidbits, which are heavily condensed videos on one subject or area. Making videos this short takes more time than you think! The average time it would take me one is maybe 4-6 hours.

I'm probably going to wind up short of the target of 4k hours even with the boost my channel got from Dave (It's going to be quite close though). But I'm not going to stop making videos, or even change what videos I make or how I make them.

it is really worth bothering google writing a check, and your viewers having to put up with ads for $27 ?

Offline witnessmenow

• Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel

it is really worth bothering google writing a check, and your viewers having to put up with ads for $27 ?

Did you stop reading the post when you got to the $27 part? :)

Here is the analytics of traffic sources on my channel for the last year

Red line is when I started enabling ads, Maroon colour is the amount of traffic from suggested videos. You can clearly see there is a lot more maroon after I enabled ads than before.

Also there was two videos I used to watch every week after Game Of Thrones, one by Auzzie Man Reviews and one by Alt Shift X. I was subscribed to neither. I used to get notified on my phone when Alt Shift X released his video (had ads) and Auzzie Man's didn't even show up in my apps feed (no ads)

Maybe this is anecdotal evidence that doesn't mean anything, but it's good enough evidence for me to think it makes a difference.

But to answer your two points:

Re Google: I am not really bothered about the administration Google has to go through if I'm being honest. They also will only write you a cheque at $75 so I haven't received anything off them anyways.

Re Viewers: Even though it really seems like people don't care about 5 second skippable ad (I know I have never turned off a video because of it), I would have been happy to leave the ads off, but as mentioned above, I think my channel is performing better since I enabled them so It's something I'm hopping my viewers are ok with, and so far it seems like they are.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
In fact the only reason I enabled ads is I'm convinced YT only recommends videos with ads.
If channel analytics are trustworthy, I can tell that quite a large part of my traffic comes from "recommended videos".
My channel was never monetized.

Offline made2hack

• Frequent Contributor
    • Made2Hack
You made it over 1K, congrats! Subbed + Watched!

I'm in the same situation as you. I have the hours, but not the subs!

Offline Mashpriborintorg

• Regular Contributor
Congrats for the subs, the guest video certainly helped a lot. Also, your videos are playing on the smart tv right now, not sure if my dog is really interested tho, last time I checked him in the sofa he was sleeping  :palm:

Offline witnessmenow

• Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
Congrats for the subs, the guest video certainly helped a lot. Also, your videos are playing on the smart tv right now, not sure if my dog is really interested tho, last time I checked him in the sofa he was sleeping  :palm:

Maybe you found a new market for him, videos to help your dogs sleep

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
It is funny to watch the discussion. One has subs, but not watch time. Other one has time, but not subscribers. Heck, me? I have a very different trouble. I have both watch time and subscribers, but almost zero interesting content. Not even a half usable camera to produce some new content. All that traffic I get is from only a couple of videos that somehow got popular. Like a two minute shot of a TDA2030 amplifier that just plays music. Has quarter million views. Dunno why.  :-//

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
Now, to add to the fun of it all...

I have two channels, one of them with only ~250 subscribers, so I started moving my videos from there to the somewhat bigger channel. Then the ad-pocalypse hit: The almighty Algorithm decided my videos about the Arduino Serial Monitor are "Not suitable for most advertisers".

Of course I can ask for a manual review, but they'll only do it when the video reaches 1000 views... so even though I have enough subscribers and watch-hours to keep earning these sweet $5 a month, in practice I can't.

You can check out the video if you like, but be warned, the Algorithm found it offensive and it's based on Google's latest machine learning technology!  :palm:

Offline witnessmenow

• Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
Now, to add to the fun of it all...

I have two channels, one of them with only ~250 subscribers, so I started moving my videos from there to the somewhat bigger channel. Then the ad-pocalypse hit: The almighty Algorithm decided my videos about the Arduino Serial Monitor are "Not suitable for most advertisers".

Of course I can ask for a manual review, but they'll only do it when the video reaches 1000 views... so even though I have enough subscribers and watch-hours to keep earning these sweet $5 a month, in practice I can't.

You can check out the video if you like, but be warned, the Algorithm found it offensive and it's based on Google's latest machine learning technology!  :palm:

2 of my last 3 videos have been demonetized, both "not suitable for most advertisers". One was about programming an attiny85 and the other was Building a chest from the Legend of Zelda games so not exactly controversial topics!

FYI, The message says that you can only appeal after 1K views, but I successfully appealed the Attiny85 video and it doesn't even have the 1k views now.

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
FYI, The message says that you can only appeal after 1K views, but I successfully appealed the Attiny85 video and it doesn't even have the 1k views now.

That's interesting. I'll keep an eye on my application and update if something similar happens to me.

One was about programming an attiny85 and the other was Building a chest from the Legend of Zelda games so not exactly controversial topics!

Wasn't the Zelda chest featured recently on the Microchip Makes facebook page? Nice work!

Offline witnessmenow

• Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
Oh I didn't know that! Thanks for letting me know!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Does Youtube really want botnets that watch videos? Because this is how you get them for sure. Maybe someone will even start a nice service to guarantee the monetization of your channel or specific videos.

They really lost it.

The following users thanked this post: igendel

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
This is taking ridiculous form. @OP: how much satisfaction you have now knowing that people "play" but not "watch" your videos and even dogs are bored by them?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: janoc

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
2 of my last 3 videos have been demonetized, both "not suitable for most advertisers". One was about programming an attiny85 and the other was Building a chest from the Legend of Zelda games so not exactly controversial topics!
I am not sure how the whole message is displayed, but I just thought of something: a video that is "not suitable for most advertisers" is different than having "inappropriate content" (or something similar that conveys the idea of having content not suitable for all audiences).

I am curious if it is simply due to the fact the advertisers do not want to pay for ads placed in certain types of videos. A hypothetic example: a company that manufacturers animal products may not want to pay for ads placed in the "Science & Technology" category, or a fashion brand does not want to pay for ads placed in the "Autos & Vehicles".

Offline witnessmenow

• Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
I am not sure how the whole message is displayed, but I just thought of something: a video that is "not suitable for most advertisers" is different than having "inappropriate content" (or something similar that conveys the idea of having content not suitable for all audiences).

I am curious if it is simply due to the fact the advertisers do not want to pay for ads placed in certain types of videos. A hypothetic example: a company that manufacturers animal products may not want to pay for ads placed in the "Science & Technology" category, or a fashion brand does not want to pay for ads placed in the "Autos & Vehicles".

So I think that's some of the problem, It's not at all clear! I don't know the reason exactly, and YouTube's stance is super vague:

A video will be marked "Not suitable for most advertisers" in Video Manager if:

• It is not considered suitable for all brands, so the video will receive fewer ads.
  • It does not meet the criteria for advertiser-friendly content, so the video is not eligible for advertising.

It doesn't seem like its a category thing as as both of my videos were restored after appeal, and these are my first two videos to be flagged.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor

No, the notice from Youtube on these videos provides this link:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6162278?hl=en

Which clearly states that the "unfriendliness" is only a matter of violence, hate, illegal activities etc.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
I do wonder how much money you guys that are now crying foul about YT dropping you from their ad program were making from those ads in the first place. If you don't have the subscriptions or view hours it couldn't have been any significant amount to begin with.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
I have two channels, one of them with only ~250 subscribers...

If you want members to find you, add a link in your Profile (like mine).  If you want to be on my list send me a message (to my link - not here).  I do not see you on the list.
thanks

The following users thanked this post: igendel, CircuitSlacker

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor

That's interesting. I'll keep an eye on my application and update if something similar happens to me.

Ok, so my applications for manual review were approved (with only ~25 views per video), but another video, that was monetized before, got the axe now...  :wtf:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
I do wonder how much money you guys that are now crying foul about YT dropping you from their ad program were making from those ads in the first place. If you don't have the subscriptions or view hours it couldn't have been any significant amount to begin with.
It's a start. You can be sure that Youtube saves a lot of money doing this. They're methodically eliminating paying content makers, pocketing the ever larger difference themselves. First they hit the top content makers, causing some to lose their livelihood. Now they target the smaller channels with less views, but present in much larger numbers.

I guess they figured out they can keep making money from ads while throwing the people who provide the value some scraps. Where are these people going to go? Nowhere, that's right. Nothing currently comes close to Youtube. Things like Patreon are actually a blessing for them, as they don't need to properly compensate people any more. They'll get the rewards anyway.

People keep forgetting that Alphabet is an advertisement company. Everything it does is intended to sell adds or are things that help selling ads, for instance by creating profiles that are as complete as possible.

Offline witnessmenow

• Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
I presume when they demonetize our channels there will be no ads so YT will miss out on the revenue from our channels too.

The current system they have for demonetization is broken, the amount of videos that get flagged for no reason is crazy. Sure it's removed after a review, but this happens during the time your video is getting the most views so really when the video is going to make any money.

For those saying that it's not a lot of money, to some it's not, to others it could be more important. But even if its not a lot of money to you, If where ever you worked sent an email saying starting next month we are going to pay you $10-$20 a month less would you be happy about it?

As a creator you live in dreams that one of your videos will be a runaway success and go viral (very unlikely, but a guy can dream). With this system if that happens you will not have monetization til after the fact so you will not get paid for that happening.

It still looks like I'm going to come up short with view time requirement. I have a few videos lined up so we'll see how it goes, but I started making videos around this time last year so I'm also losing the views from my earlier videos being counted in the previous 365 days
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:53:59 am by witnessmenow »

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
I have unlimited bandwidth, I'm more than willing to click "view all" on anyone's channels and just let it go in the background.  They even have an option to loop - don't know if viewing twice counts though.  I kinda just remembered now that I still have the OP's channel open on my computer at home in a separate workspace.  (his stuff is worth checking out, lot of cool stuff like the cell antenna teardown.  Basically voodoo magic :P )

I'd be more than willing to help out any other channel. 

I see what YT is doing though, small channels may not make lot of money as is but they count on the fact that a video might go viral.  Now, if a video goes viral only YT makes money.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
With my 21 subscribers I will be rich. Or not.

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtMQfOVPCWMd3x3k5dtQieg

There is a dedicated thread for advertising forum user's YouTube channels, this one is not the one.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
There is a dedicated thread for advertising forum user's YouTube channels, this one is not the one.

Drum roll.........

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Ba-dum Tsss.  ^-^

Offline Terrius

• Contributor
    • Tinkering with Terrius
I have mixed feelings about the whole partner program change. On one hand it potentially means that once you do qualify you will make more money, due to a higher CPM. On the other hand it has been shown that monetizing a video can drastically increase it's exposure on the algorithm. I never bothered with monetizing videos because I felt it had no direct purpose for me at the time (I never knew it increased algorithm views).

The claim by many big channels is that this change will make it easier for new channels that take YouTube seriously to get exposure, because it will kill off bot accounts. I'm not sure I understand this however, it implies that all these bot accounts will just suddenly die off and disappear. I was under the impression that once you apply for partner it can take weeks or months to be approved. If that is the case how did these bot accounts get approved so quickly and make money from ads?

I suppose I should just get used to the goal post being moved, I'm sure next year (or sooner) they will increase it again. Then again, I just enjoy making videos so while it would be nice to eventually have a bit extra money for projects I suppose for now I will just make due with what I'm lucky enough to have the algorithm grace me with. It served one of my videos as a suggested on a Big Clive video once (still no idea how or why), that was an exciting huge spike in views, watch time and subs!

I'm roughly half way to the new goal for watch time, but 4000 hours a year still seems like a lot for a niche channel like mine. I'm also only at 1/4 of the subs needed, which is a lot more than I ever expected to have in reality.

Offline epy

• Regular Contributor

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
Get a VPN an make a bunch of Gmail accounts and subscribe to yourself  ;) 8)

Offline epy

• Regular Contributor
 ;D
In that case share VPN's detials with us.

Offline witnessmenow

• Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
Looks like the boost I got from the guest video might just be enough to sneak me in!

Need 25k more watch minutes, but I was getting that some months even pre Guest video, so we'll see!

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
Right now I have a bit over 1360 subscribers, and 19388 mins watch time for 28 days.

According to Social Blade, I’d have $4-$68 monthly income if I did monetise it.
Not nearly worth the annoyance of adds for the viewer from my point of view.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
I just dug through my spam folder and realized my account got hit too.  No longer eligible for monetization.  I wonder what happens to my dollar that I made?  I don't imagine they will pay it out?  :-DD

While I don't really care that much for myself, I do find this is a huge kick in the face to anyone who wants to try to start a more serious channel and try to get somewhere.   On the other hand if you're doing it just for the money then it's for the wrong reason.  Youtube is not a get rich scheme.

So if they do pay me out, what should I invest it in?  I might put it into Bitcoin.  :P

• Frequent Contributor
Right now I have a bit over 1360 subscribers, and 19388 mins watch time for 28 days.

According to Social Blade, I’d have $4-$68 monthly income if I did monetise it.
Not nearly worth the annoyance of adds for the viewer from my point of view.

I can tell you that the social blade estimate is very wide and the real revenue is around double of the minimum, at-least that is my experience.

I still need to catch up 10000 minutes the next 6 days to be in the safe zone, hopefully I will make it :)

Offline epy

• Regular Contributor
Subscribed..
I also started Youtube channel recently.Please subscribe my channel as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWBY9ev946OYaS7bUVDGFIg

• Frequent Contributor
So that was some pretty intense 30 days, right up until 2 days before the deadline and it broke past the 240.000 minutes.

This would never had happened without Dave's guest video, so a big thanks to Dave for that.

It had me try out doing live broadcasts and that was a quite fun and new experience to do it so much without a script, but only a few things prepared and no possibilities of editing things out, which can really be seen on the first live broadcast where I was talking to myself for 10 minutes before I realized I was not live  :-BROKE and when I hit the go live button once again, I was in the middle of my speech and slide show :)

Thanks to everyone that watched and I hope my subscriptions to others channels helped them too.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
Congrats! Glad you made it.

I just got my official notice today that my channel is demonetized.

Hi Red Squirrel,
As you probably heard, we recently announced updates to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). We made these changes to address a spike in abuse on YouTube by bad actors like spammers, impersonators, and re-uploaders. Our goal is to ensure a healthy ecosystem where original creators can grow and thrive.
As of today, your channel, Red Squirrel will no longer have access to monetization tools associated with YPP because it doesn’t meet the new threshold of 4,000 hours of watch time within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. If you meet the new threshold at some point in the future, you'll be automatically re-evaluated for YPP. The reviews typically take 1-2 weeks.

I think I made a bit over a dollar off my channel in total (not really a big or serious channel) so I'm not too worried at the idea of losing monetization, more of the principal.  How is that going to stop abuse, it's just going to screw over the little guy that actually wants to try to make a bigger channel.  There is no longer incentive for anyone to try anymore as those requirements are over the top for someone starting out.

This is not going to stop abusers from re-uploading other people's videos, or uploading spam etc. 

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
I don't earn much but it is as you said, this will be the driving force for upcoming achievements... not what it is now.

This is my channel: www.youtube.com/thundertronics

Right now I have 1046 subscriber and they are increasing daily without putting any content due to my daily work and stuff, so it would be much better when I do post regular stuff. There are videos that continuously gaining views for me and I expect to do more of them.

I plan to do weekly/Biweekly videos on regular basis and I hope I can!

regards!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf