Author Topic: [LED RETROFIT]50W LED 3000LM for just US $13.27 incl. driver board!I smell BS...  (Read 1683 times)

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Yes I don´t have too much experience on LED stuff...
I need to retrofit 15-20 lights in my home.

Plan A:

eBay auction: #201099334536

Do you think this board will work properly (of course with a proper heat sink on the LED)? If yes for more than one year? This is to me too fishy.
You know when something is too cheap, a weak point should be there somewhere... (maybe I am just crazy)

Unless someone of you dragons tell me you bought it and it is working fine, I will NOT pull the trigger for this LED system.

Plan B:

eBay auction: #321445378659
always made in China but more reasonable quality/price, I like also the 600mA regulated output. I am still wondering why so many LED driver (according to my investigation) just regulate the voltage and not the current.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cree-Inc/CXA1520-0000-000N00P250F/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt82OzCyDsLFG0GbtaLX%252bUmFiybp3GNG50%3d

Damn I like the CREE CXA1520 so much, it should be like comparing chocolate and shit (we use to say in Italy) with the LED in Plan A.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys...

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 05:00:42 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
I need to retrofit 15-20 lights in my home.

Buy LED bulbs, plug led bulbs into socket, put ladder away.  Filament LED  bulbs are all the rage these days.

The LEDs you are looking at in those links are high power LEDs in small flat packages, they require BIG heatsinks if passive, or a smaller heatsink and active cooling.  They are not what you would use if you just want to "retrofit 15-20 lights in my home".  They are used more for floodlight type applications, not really home lighting.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
sleemanj it makes so much sense.

But you know my old lights are soo big and they have a huge metal plate on the back (diamter 20-30cm), so I thought let´s use it as a heat sink.

They are used more for floodlight type applications, not really home lighting.

I think you are right, I already see my mother screaming at me to take them down because she don´t want to use sunglasses at home.

You know sometime you just want the best, and the overkill is always a risk in my case.

Thanks buddy.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
I agree , buy the A brand dimmable light bulbs, they are becoming cheaper everyday.
At least you don't have to explain the whole story to the insurance company that some unreliable Chinese pcb set the home on fire.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf