Author Topic: 0.8mm pitch board-to-board connector  (Read 3931 times)

Offline msrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
0.8mm pitch board-to-board connector
« on: September 26, 2014, 01:22:59 am »
Hi,

Following this topic where I was looking for a wire-to-board connector for power, now I would like to ask for your help on choosing a board-to-board connector with the following requirements:

- 3~4mm height
- 0.8mm pitch
- ~20pins
- polarized

The thing is: Im currently using DF12 from Hirose which are 0.5mm pitch connectors (3mm height) but I have had some issues during soldering resulting in short circuits, so Im considering using bigger pitch. On the other hand a polarized connector would be more appropiate to avoid misinsertion.

The best alternative I could find so far: DF9 from Hirose (it's 1mm pitch, less pins, but polarized)

Do you know any connector that fit these requirements?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: 0.8mm pitch board-to-board connector
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 10:38:25 am »
Look at Tyco FH connectors. I don't know if they offer a 4mm solution though.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline msrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:10:58 am »
nctnico, thanks for the suggestion but those connectors' height start from 5mm.

Still searching...

The best find so far: 3M Pak 8
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Interconnect/Home/Products/ProductCatalog/Catalog/?PC_Z7_RJH9U5230O73D0ISNF9B3C3SI1000000_nid=CMRRQM7TVJitWK7G49LP38glMSC1Z684K5bl

Not cheap, tough.

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 11:21:55 am »
We have used the Molex Slim Stack for height restricted board to board.  These are 0.8mm and 1-1.3mm total mated height.  I don't believe any of them are polarized.  We used board orientation to do this.  It was the only solution for our needs with a 1mm board separation. 

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 11:44:08 am »
How about TEco's Fine-Stack series? 24p, polarized, .8mm pitch, 3mm total board separation when assembled. $1.80 (total) for both connectors (100pcs pricing).

Links: Part 1, part 2.

No pictures on the internets, but I'll post a render here in a second.

Edit: Shitty renders here.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:22:48 pm by ovnr »

Offline msrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:59:19 pm »
Guys, you have been very helpful, thanks!

ovnr, regarding durability, do you have any words?
Since they will be used in a prototyping platform they may be mated/unmated several times (~100 at least) without compromising the quality of the connection.
Are you aware of the differences between the fine-stack and fine-mate series? They seem identical, but the last one is more expensive so it should have some "special sauce". (actually they do not seem identical)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:02:29 pm by msr »

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:57:48 pm »
Guys, you have been very helpful, thanks!

Since they will be used in a prototyping platform they may be mated/unmated several times (~100 at least) without compromising the quality of the connection.
Are you aware of the differences between the fine-stack and fine-mate series? They seem identical, but the last one is more expensive so it should have some "special sauce". (actually they do not seem identical)

Mating expected life is generally in the data sheet for a connector.

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 03:01:16 pm »
Mating expected life is generally in the data sheet for a connector.

And if TEco actually released actual datasheets, that'd be wonderful...

Durability: Never used these exact ones myself. If you're careful it should be fine, but if you have the option I'd strongly suggest making a cable for the prototyping - just make up a board with connector footprints and a FFC connector, then slap that on between them - easy peasy probing and fiddling.

And no, the Fine Stack and Fine Mate series are not compatible.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read your post properly. If you're making a product where the "end user" (be that actual lusers or hobbyists or whatever) will be plugging and unplugging all day long (as opposed to people who know what they're doing), you'll need to pay a lot more attention to what parts you're using. I'd probably end up buying a few different connectors and doing a lot of testing.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:43:19 pm by ovnr »

Offline msrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 02:32:40 pm »
I'd probably end up buying a few different connectors and doing a lot of testing.

Yes, that's it, I'll have to try a couple of connectors before the final decision.

In the meantime I'll be using DF9 from Hirose. 1mm pitch, less but enough pins for what I'm doing at the moment. Mouser sells them cheap (in Portugal, we avoid Digikey as much as possible, the taxes are not nice)
Although I haven't been successful soldering 0.5mm pitch connectors by hand, probably I will get back to that pitch when the platform goes into production.

Thanks for your help!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf