Author Topic: 1800W 50V Power supply  (Read 5748 times)

Offline sourcechargeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: 1800W 50V Power supply
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 01:10:43 pm »
Well, it was worse than I thought, the secondary burned through and possibly shorted to the primary.

So, since this is no longer simply a matter of doing it easy and cheap, I went and bought 10 lbs of magnet wire.

5 lbs 14 AWG for the primary and 5 lbs 10 AWG for the secondary, both 200C rated.

The current capacity of both wires should be way higher than needed but this time I'm not taking any chances along with a new 100A 1000V bridge...

I think this actually could withstand about 3kw, but Im limited with the heater as only 1800W.

So, ya I was looking at those rectifiers and one was like 160 bucks and another was like 68 bucks, but I'm just not sure what's good or if they can be used exactly like a normal PS or if they need some type of battery bank or capacitors...

Since there is a lack of interest in DIY High powered PS with voltage regulation, this will be my last update unless someone asks.

Thx for all your guys' input  :-+

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 01:34:00 pm »
Yeah, that sounds quite beefy.  As long as it's not copper clad aluminum, which may cause some problems (~half current density, making connections).  But even that's not so bad, for what you're doing, really.

Rectifiers suddenly rise in price at 50A.  Amazingly, 50A just barely fits inside a regular 10-35A size bridge module, very cheap.  After that is just industrial modules, starting at maybe $30 or so, and kind of just going up and up (no, you don't get much of what you pay for, in this case).  So, the $68 part is probably okay, can probably find something cheaper and still good enough, definitely no need to gouge yourself on the $160 part...

You don't actually need a filter cap (which will need to be quite large indeed to do its job), if you don't mind pulsating output.  However, note that you must keep gate drive powered up at all times.  Use a separate 12V supply, find the bias resistors and hack them to a separate supply.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 02:00:21 pm »
I suspect by Rectifier the OP was talking about a telecom "Rectifier" module (Which everyone else calls a power supply), basically an industrial grade switchmode supply usually in some sort of hot plug form factor.

I suspect the reason the OP is getting so little traction in terms of building his own is because a 2kW 48V supply with power factor and all the trimmings on ebay is cheap enough that rolling your own is just not that interesting to most here.

See for example Ebay.com 152935516200 which is 100A@48-54V for $40.

I don't know exactly what you would need to jumper to what on that one to get it going, but it is usually something that can be figured out. 

73 Dan.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 06:55:12 am »
I suspect by Rectifier the OP was talking about a telecom "Rectifier" module (Which everyone else calls a power supply), basically an industrial grade switchmode supply usually in some sort of hot plug form factor.

Oh, yeah, we haven't talked about those in a little while.

In case anyone is wondering, that's a fine value for a power converter.

Anything going for less than $1/W is a good deal.  That computer PSUs, "rectifiers", inverter microwaves, induction cooktops and more, can sell for $0.1/W or less, is between stupendous and ludicrous.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 09:54:17 am »
Yea you are probably paying cents on the dollar compared to the original pricing.

The Eltek Twinpacks are good value at the moment on US ebay, just a few percent less efficient then the latest generation but that makes them worth replacing in a 24/7/365 application where energy costs dominate, $50 for 52V @ 50A, gets my vote!

Be careful out there, it is only 50V or so, but there is PLENTY of energy there to do damage and some of these are positive ground (Telecom standard for corrosion reasons). 

One of the RC hobby groups has the thread that goes into much detail on what to jumper to what to get these things to come on.

73, Dan.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf