Author Topic: 4mm banana male to female converter  (Read 2452 times)

Offline VgkidTopic starter

• Super Contributor
4mm banana male to female converter
« on: September 17, 2017, 03:10:49 pm »
Is there such a thing as a inline 4mm m/f converter.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: 4mm banana male to female converter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 03:23:38 pm »
Not sure you are asking for a gender changer (i.e., male to male or female to female).

Here's one link to the latter: https://www.amazon.com/Female-Banana-Plug-Adapter/dp/B002YKIJ8O

Simple male to female are standard stacking plugs.

John

Sorry, was searching while sokoloff posted.

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:10:47 pm »
In between, as price, the Pomona at Mouser and the no-name one, 99cents shop (Franki) has a couple for $3.99:
Female to Female Banana Connectors for Leads Extension (1 Pair Red + Black)

As an eBay shop, it's extremely reliable and with good quality stuff - search this forum, and the video with Dave.
I always received my orders in a short time, and exactly as advertised.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline bjcuizon

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF and Analog Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 06:02:23 am »
Maybe he means a 4mm banana plug to binding posts/banana jack (female) like this one:
http://nz.element14.com/pomona/5405/adaptor-double-banana-plug-binding/dp/2406420?mckv=sTw61JE5b_dc|pcrid|155921535509|pkw||pmt||slid||product|2406420|&CMP=KNC-GOO-SHOPPING-2406420&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvNXrwYWu1gIVxwYqCh0WjgFTEAYYASABEgJA8PD_BwE&gross_price=true
OR
https://www.amazon.com/Pomona-2894-2-Binding-Single-Banana/dp/B00COC27NK
Don't mess with an Electronics Engineer, it Megahertz!

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 11:29:24 am »
F/F couplers can be made quite easily from a piece of suitable brass tubing cut to length.  In the US, 1/64" wall tubing is commonly available in hobby stores and online.  The 3/16" OD tubing has an ID of 5/32", which is just about 4mm (in practice, the ID is usually just a bit over 4mm IME).  A bit of heatshrink, and voila.  It winds up being a hair on the tight side, but works quite well.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:36:41 pm »
If I understand your post correctly, you are NOT looking for 4mm male-to-male and female-to-female concerters.

BTW, 4mm male-to-male (double plug) is generally not available because of safety concerns, but can be found as accessory for LV halogen lighting.

Now for male-to-female as asked in your OP. Those are used with certain coax connectors as so-called connector savers, transferring wear and tear one connector away from the instrument-mounted ones, thereby alleviating concerns about replacement cost and logevity/durability. Does not apply to 4mm connections genetrally. Also keep in mind that you would place greater strain on the original jack due to the mechanical advantage (lever). So especially a PCB-mounted jack would rather suffer more than less, except if you fixed the 'saver' to another structural part.
The second case are adaptors fo mixing safety-shrouded and regular 4mm. Safety jack accepts regular plug, so no problem. Adaptors to connect safety plugs into regular jacks are available:
Sliding shroud and naked version, which generally stays on the lead with the safety shrouded plug was made by MC/Stäubli: Stecker-Adapter LS410-I, Stecker-Adapter A4/4-Z
Versions which are fixed into the regular jack by a spreader mechanism (to convert older instrument to safety system) are also available from MC/Stäubli: A-SLK4-S, A-SLK4
They also make a 90°-adaptor for safety-shrouded 4mm (XWA-4/19) as well as an adaptor providing a bit of lateral offset (A-SLK4-RG).
http://ec.staubli.com/products/productline/6
Also check Pomona and Mueller, which I haven't done.

I hope that this helps, if not, feel free to clarify your request and I'll try again. I have a reputation as being a rabid collector of T&M accessories, so the chances are good that I might know.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 10:52:51 pm »
As is so typical for threads of this nature, the OP posted an ambiguous initial post (I already pointed out the M-F "adapters" were very common) and has neither clarified it nor responded to any of the posts.   What is the value of continuing?

The following users thanked this post: tooki, newbrain

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 02:50:55 am »
As is so typical for threads of this nature, the OP posted an ambiguous initial post (I already pointed out the M-F "adapters" were very common) and has neither clarified it nor responded to any of the posts.   What is the value of continuing?
Indeed. This forum seems to have a lot of post-and-runners. :(

Offline VgkidTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 09:57:33 pm »
I don't intend on posting and not responding. Those stacking plugs look like they would work, even if most are not safety rated.
On second thought, since many are needed, I will see about implementing a sort of patchbay.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf