Author Topic: A look at my Symmetricom GPSDO / 10MHz reference (OCXO + Furuno receiver)  (Read 423175 times)

Offline guido

• Regular Contributor
The LCD seems to be for decoding NMEA, some people connected the NMEA output from the GPS module to a decoder.

But the SER2 port is for communicating with the whole module, not the GPS receiver. There is no NMEA output on that serial port, you can issue the commands found in this thread. E.g. SYST:STAT?

It is also RS232, so if you connect a processor without RS232 chip it won't like that. Did not check, but i guess it's +/- 12V and not 0-5.

PS, waiting for the pcb from China  :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:47:18 pm by guido »

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
Yes it is 9600 you have to take it from the GPS module tx pin also have you changed the resister and transistor and Hex file as in previous post
Dave

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
I need to display on the bottom of the board directly on the gps rx connect?

Offline ZigmundRat

• Regular Contributor
The MACT button is momentary. As I recall, when I pressed the MACT button before I had the oscillator locked to GPS, I got output. It was not exactly 10MHz, a bit off, and remained off even after GPS lock. OCXO was warmed up but frequency stayed the same. A SYST:PON reset the unit, and since everything was warm it synced up quickly and then the 10MHz was on frequency. It's almost like it locked the DAC voltage (but I didn't check).

The 4 pin serial port is RS232 with RS232 like levels. There is a level translator on the board. So you must use a real serial device - a TTL level adapter will not work on that port. I have not looked at the ports on the high density connector.

A couple tips for improving the operation of these units (at least the Symmetricom ones). Power up the unit and let it do it's survey and get all nice and stable. (Make sure SYST:STAT? shows Position MODE Hold). Then issue a GPS:POS:HOLD:LAST? command. The output will be your position:

UCCM-P > GPS:POSition:HOLD:LAST?
N,+42,+34,+3.40880E+01,W,+74,+39,+2.72220E+01,+1.10340E+02
Command Complete
UCCM-P >

The output is conveniently in the form used to manually set the position. Use these values in the future to skip the survey. We will also want to set some other parameters to optimize the operation. What you do is send the UCCM a series of initialization strings. I've posted the ones I use below. Send them with a terminal program, a micro-controller, whatever.

SYNC:REF:DISABLE LINK
SYNC:REF:ENABLE GPS
REF:TYPE GPS
OUTP:TP:SEL PP1S
GPS:SAT:TRAC:EMAN 20
GPS:POS N,+42,+34,+3.40880E+01,W,+74,+39,+2.72220E+01,+1.10340E+02

What all this does is turns off the other timing sources (which are unconnected but could still have influence) and using only GPS. It also makes sure the PPS output is 1 PPS and not 1 PP2S (1 per 2 seconds). The satellite elevation mask is change to 20 degrees to avoid multipath and other anomalies from satellites near the horizon. This improves the timing and frequency stability. Finally we set our position, which will skip the auto survey. Note that it doesn't seem to really like slamming the commands in. So wait for the UCCM prompt to come back before sending the next command.

I would bet there's a way to apply battery to the board and avoid all this, but I don't know what it is yet. It's easy enough to do this with a micro or just a script, but still slightly annoying.

Finally, here's a plot of the stability. Don't take it as gospel, it's just one sample.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
Hi

I would like to join the club please... not sure what the pin-outs are.... so I'm off to read this thread from start to finish.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
All of your useful pinout info is in this thread. Just make sure your psu can supply at least 2A.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
OK.  I've caught up with the thread...

on my board L20 is detached but present so I can reflow that back on

also the GPS antenna connector is missing as per shempe's board

There is a curly wire coming out of the GPS receiver which has a connector which is unplugged but hovering above J6.

Do I need to plug it back into J6 and look to source a GPS antenna connector to replace the missing one or can I just plug directly into the curly whirly wire?

From the thread it looks like you apply +5V to F1 as it comes in from the first pins of the ribbon cable.  Presumably GND supply to the top of C11 which is sitting across the supply.

There is mention of various bits of regulator circuitry not working... are there good points to test for voltages to see if these are working on my board?

Thanks in advance

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
@Nivag - You want to take the antenna connection from the board, because the board provides the power to your active GPS Antenna and the monitoring too.

I happened to have a connector available from an old duff GPS module and hot aired it on with some leaded solder and flux, but you may find it easier to just solder some coax to the centre pin and shield connections going to an external SMA, MCX, BNC or whatever connection your GPS antenna requires.

There is mention of various bits of regulator circuitry not working... are there good points to test for voltages to see if these are working on my board?

The top left of U14 is a pin marked PWR - this should be around 12V for powering the OCXO from the boost converter. There are also plenty of labelled testpoints for +5, +3.3, etc.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 11:22:13 pm by Macbeth »

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
because the board provides the power to your active GPS Antenna and the monitoring too.
I was wondering if that might be the case.  Thanks!

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
These posts are getting better great info from  :-+ZigmundRat  , can anyone write some code for a pic micro so at switch on the pic will write this info to the unit
SYNC:REF:DISABLE LINK
SYNC:REF:ENABLE GPS
REF:TYPE GPS
OUTP:TP:SEL PP1S
GPS:SAT:TRAC:EMAN 20
GPS:POS , we can change to our pos
I know it will be TTL so we can feed that in after the rs232 converter @
Thanks Dave

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
Hi SHF
yes that is correct it is pin-3 that is the pin next to your Square Pin
you also have do these changes that Daniel f1rmb posted

Offline f1rmb
Regular Contributor

View Profile
 Personal Message (Offline)

Re: A look at my Symmetricom GPSDO / 10MHz reference (OCXO + Furuno receiver)

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 02:23:52 AM »

Quote from: davebb on December 14, 2015, 02:07:09 AM

Hi Daniel
Could you please The modified Hex code/File as I would like to build this display,
you say the output is on pin 2 is that in rs232 or TTL level?
Thanks Dave 2E0DMB

Yeah, sure.

The level is TTL.

On the display module, you have to change two components:
T1 from 2N2222 to MMBT2907 (or equivalent), and the base resistor R3, from 10k to 4k7.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

* F4CTZ-GPS_Display-Symmetricom-Furuno.hex.zip (36.55 kB - downloaded 32 times.)

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
SHF , PIN 3 IS GPS TX
Dave

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
Bookmarked.
Thanks to everyone here for all the information.
Off to order my board and antenna.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
Thank you for your answers !!
Unfortunately, the display is still not what I did wrong?
Display on 9600bd and connected to pin 3 on the GPS TX (black cable)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:21:59 pm by SHF »

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
Did you connect your ground
and change the components and reprogram your pic
also the new transistor collector and emitter go the other way round(I made that mistake)
Dave 

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
I still had data on the pic with the PNP tran fitted the wrong way round it just did not read it,it is inverting the signal, what transistor did you fit?
Dave

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
Thanks Dave
Have 2N2222 NPN removed and installed a BC327 PNP, is still not, must look further....

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
did you change e,b,c, to c,b,e when you fitted the tran
did you program the pic with the new hex from Daniel
Dave

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
Hi Dave
what is the correct hex file?

--> 10mhz_gps.X.production.hex.zip
or
--> 10mhz_gps.X.production-NMEA.hex.zip

or  http://www.f4ctz.fr/?page_id=692#
 --> Afficheur-GPS-V2.22-HEX

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
 This Is the one that Daniel did for me and it is working well

* 10mhz_gps.X.production.hex.zip (37.77 kB - downloaded 31 times.)
Dave

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
what one have you got programed in,
Dave

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
you need to change R3 to 4K7 ohm
and T1 the emitter and collector needs to be changed , opposite what it would be with the 2n2222
Dave 

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
OK, Thanks Dave

I hope now it is right

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
I currently have the Afficheur GPS V2.22-HEX in PIC

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor