Author Topic: Adding electric power to mountain bike  (Read 1153 times)

Offline drummerdimitriTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Adding electric power to mountain bike
« on: October 22, 2018, 04:50:19 pm »
I have 0 knowledge regarding the motor/esc  requirements of the bicycle so maybe someone can guide me here.

My weight is around 70+ kg and I want a top speed of around 50 KM/h since I want more torque for hill climbs and fast acceleration.

I have a 3D printer on hand for designing/ printing mounts and supports for the assembly.

Any information would be of great help thanks!

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Adding electric power to mountain bike
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 05:01:08 pm »
Go to the library

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 06:36:45 pm »
Tom Stanton does a DIY electric bike on his channel, here is the link to the first video, there is a series.

Hope this helps...

EDIT: I have watched many of Tom's videos and he uses solid engineering principles and thought process in his builds and I am quite impressed.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 06:39:11 pm by tpowell1830 »
PEACE===>T

The following users thanked this post: drummerdimitri

Offline drummerdimitriTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 07:34:27 pm »
Tom Stanton does a DIY electric bike on his channel, here is the link to the first video, there is a series.

Hope this helps...

EDIT: I have watched many of Tom's videos and he uses solid engineering principles and thought process in his builds and I am quite impressed.

I saw that and got excited until i realized it was only possible to fit to his specific bike.

Will learn all I can and try to integrate the system into mine.

Offline jose347

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 08:40:05 pm »
I have 0 knowledge regarding the motor/esc  requirements of the bicycle so maybe someone can guide me here.

My weight is around 70+ kg and I want a top speed of around 50 KM/h since I want more torque for hill climbs and fast acceleration.

I have a 3D printer on hand for designing/ printing mounts and supports for the assembly.

Any information would be of great help thanks!

50 KM/h sounds a lot for MTB, I am not saying it cannot be done, but those are numbers that you may see in a road bike, the highest number you will see in a trail are in the 35ish, anyway what you could do is search for average number people give on a power meters, you should look a steady power not spikes you will see that they will around the 300-400watts range you can use that to convert to HP and that should give you an estimate of how big your motor should be and with a motor then you can estimate battery and capacity, I least that should be your starting point.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf