Author Topic: AGFA PCR II design reuse question  (Read 1777 times)

Offline CicadaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
AGFA PCR II design reuse question
« on: July 23, 2016, 11:19:16 am »
Hello

I post this topic here since I dont really have a repair question although the question is about a old piece of equipment.

I have a AGFA PCR II
http://www.promarketinc.com/pdf/agfapcriiplus-usersguide.pdf
http://www.recycledgoods.com/agfa-pcr-ii-pcr-ii-film-recorder.html
http://charlescoughlin.com/ebay/110328_agfa/agfa.html

As far as I could gather it was used to transfer digital images to film.

My question. If you can transfer digital images to a film could something like this potentially be used to make a PCB using photo chemical etching?

The only optics that I can see inside is a CRT looking device aimed at a red, green and blue filter wheel. No lenses. On the other side of the filters there is supposed to be a camera. The camera lens focus the image on a film. You can potentially have you own lens and put the small pcb at the film location.

And I just realized that such a thing might not not work to etch pcbs because the light will scatter back from the substrate but on the other hand if you use black surface inside the box it should absorb the scattered light and prevent light to be bounced back to the pcb a second time.

What do you guys think. Could one use a machine like this to etch pcb with very fine detail?

Offline kony

• Regular Contributor
Re: AGFA PCR II design reuse question
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 01:01:42 pm »
Nope, not useable for PCBs. Find yourself DTP studio nearby, they will happily make you laser exposed Ag film in resolution over 4800DPI for peanuts (I pay one nice "Thank You" or 1$ per A4 sheet of exposed and developed film). Only thing that differs from proffesional PCB manufacturing film matrices is the base used - don't rely on its longterm dimensional stability, otherwise it is just about the same.

Offline CicadaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 10:16:02 am »
Ok. I think I will then just remove the High Voltage power supply. It is the only re-usable component in it. Doubt it if I can find a use for the CRT display in it. It looks funny though. Completely white on the front face.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 12:11:54 pm »
These film recorders use white phosphor CRTs optimized for spot size. Very different from any CRT used for viewing.
I don't think the light level is enough to expose low-sensitivity etch resist films.

Offline jackcolbran@mail.com

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 01:23:59 pm »
Hello,
Have you still got the Agfa PCR II? Is it for sale?
Many thanks,
Jack

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf