Author Topic: Alternative to Solenoid  (Read 1871 times)

Offline bullonwheelsTopic starter

• Contributor
Alternative to Solenoid
« on: June 17, 2018, 08:32:20 am »
Hello Everyone,

I am working on a project on which a solenoid presses the key on remote. As it is getting hot when I increase time to 2 secs.

Any alternative to solenoid ? Apart from compressed air.

Offline Twoflower

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Alternative to Solenoid
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 09:01:17 am »
Using a correct rated solenoid? If it gets hot, it seems you drive too much current through the coil. Check if your current solenoid has enough force if you reduce the voltage. Maybe a spring can help to apply some pressure that the solenoid does not need to apply the complete force to press the button.

As alternative would be a Motor with one or two switches to identify the endpoints/positions.

Or you replicate the remote and go without mechanics.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 09:21:59 am »
It is 12V supply. I aint driving much current of it. It is under its rating though.
But what do you mean by motor with one or two switches ? or replicate the remote ?
I need to test at multiple remotes with a fixtures.

Offline Twoflower

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 09:33:12 am »
OK, with that information replicate (re-build a second remote which can be electrically switched) is off the table.

With a motor I meant that you can use a motor with a exzenter wheel or a motor that moves a rod up/down. For both you need a feedback about the position.

If the solenoid is rated at 12V and you drive it with 12V it should handle the heating. Unless it is time-limited. Like "max. on time 1s".

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 10:11:06 am »
Solenoids take much more current to pull in than to hold ( if you set it up so the core is as far in as it can go when energised), so you can reduce current significantly after the initial pull-in time.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Chriss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 10:12:57 am »
Maybe you can use a stepper motor ina combination as before described with an ex centered shaft.
With a stepper motor you can control any positions of use.

Sent from my GT-I8260 using Tapatalk

Offline Peter63

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 11:17:27 am »
Hello

It's a 5v servo possible to use in the project?

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 01:05:33 pm »
TI has solenoid drivers that do alot for you, you basically program them to have a set and hold current. You can also do current measurement and stuff like that, not just time based feedback.

__
The DRV101 is a low-side power switch employing a pulse-width modulated (PWM) output. Its rugged design is optimized for driving electromechanical devices such as valves, solenoids, relays, actuators, and positioners. The DRV101 is also ideal for driving thermal devices such as heaters and lamps. PWM operation conserves power and reduces heat rise, resulting in higher reliability. In addition, adjustable PWM allows fine control of the power delivered to the load. Time from dc output to PWM output is externally adjustable.

The DRV101 can be set to provide a strong initial closure, automatically switching to a "soft" hold mode for power savings. Duty cycle can be controlled by a resistor, analog voltage, or digital-to-analog converter for versatility. A flag output indicates thermal shutdown and over/under current limit. A wide supply range allows use with a variety of actuators.

The DRV101 is available in 7-lead staggered TO-220 package and a 7-lead surface-mount DDPAK plastic power package. It is specified over the extended industrial temperature range, -40°C to +85°C.
___

They have a few more IIRC. This will keep heat down and increase life time of your parts.

The following users thanked this post: elecman14

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 05:27:16 pm »
Thank you Coppercone and everyone for the replies. I will look for options and specific driver and update. :)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 05:30:17 pm »
I was going to suggest the hobby servo idea that someone else posted. They provide much more granular control than a solenoid, and they are very easy to control. Cheap ones can be had for just a few dollars to try out and then if it works well you can get much higher quality servos that use the same control scheme.

Offline Amper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 06:51:37 am »
Do i understand correctly, taht you just want to test the mechanics of the switch for its operational life? How about pneumatics or a motor with a connection rod like in a piston engine? 

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 08:52:57 pm »
+1 for having a set and holding current. We use that scheme in hydraulic solenoids often. Full coil voltage/current to pull in the solenoid, then a reduced current to hold it in. You might be supersized how little it takes to hold. With all of the programmable LED current drivers out there it should be no problem finding one to run the system nice and cool.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 09:59:46 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I am working on a project on which a solenoid presses the key on remote. As it is getting hot when I increase time to 2 secs.

Any alternative to solenoid ?
Linear actuator.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf