Author Topic: Analog ESR meter with linear scale?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline dardosordiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Analog ESR meter with linear scale?
« on: February 18, 2017, 06:00:37 pm »
Hi,

Im looking for a schematic or some pointers on how to build an analog ESR meter with linear scale.

I've built one with log scale in the past, it served me well, but the enclosure was pretty bad and it ended up falling apart. So I bought a non-working Power Instruments B-891 Tachometer to use for enclosure, and it has a really nice analog display with linear scales. I was wondering if its possible to build an analog ESR meter with linear scales, so I don't have to re-do the scale markings.

It comes with dual scale: 0-10/0-3 and has a 4 pole-5 position rotary switch that I could use to implement different ranges, but I first need to get a circuit with a linear response. It also has a nice calibration pot wit a shaft made for a screwdriver.

Any help is appreciated.

Im attaching pictures of the tachometer, the batteries had leaked and it was missing the sensor, so it didn't seem worth repairing.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.

The following users thanked this post: dardosordi

• Regular Contributor

• Regular Contributor
Re: Analog ESR meter with linear scale?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 07:22:41 pm »
Kalvin,

you made me realize the problem with my search was that I was looking for "analog display" and "linear scale", but the way the scales on this meter are any of the ESR adapters that are designed to work on DMM will work.  |O

Thank you very much, I'll go with this one https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/esr-meter-adapter-design-and-construction/ and post the results here.

Offline hugo

• Regular Contributor
Re: Analog ESR meter with linear scale?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 02:12:53 am »
An analog one by the same designer, Jay_Diddy_B here :

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/5-transistor-esr-meter-design/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf