Author Topic: Any Standard for min R between person and High Voltage?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline max_torqueTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • bitdynamics
Any Standard for min R between person and High Voltage?
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:49:26 pm »
Most literature suggests that an average person can feel something like 1mA or more current flowing, which for say 1kV would mean an min series resistance of 1Meg if you wanted to be able to safely touch it.  But is there any standard for this?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Any Standard for min R between person and High Voltage?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:24:37 pm »
I'm not sure what you're asking.

Are you talking about using a resistor to bridge an isolation between the mains and SELV (Separated Extra low voltage), exposed metal parts or protective earth?

If so, then it isn't just the resistance which matters, the maximum voltage rating is important too. Look up Y-rated capacitors. The maximum permitted current through the resistor, withstand voltage and flammability of the resistor will need to be the same or better than a Y-rated capacitor used in the same situation.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Any Standard for min R between person and High Voltage?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 11:03:57 pm »
Maximum ground leakage current is a similar spec. Usually a few mA, depending on which standard you're working to.

I forget if I've seen what's required between SELV and mains.  2.5kV is a typical peak voltage requirement.  Not sure about current (aside from not jumping a spark).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf