Author Topic: Arduino GPIB Controller  (Read 3324 times)

Offline CyberdragonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Arduino GPIB Controller
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:08:18 pm »
I've been trying to repair an HP6622A power supply (see other thread in Repairs) but I can't find any hardware issues so I needed a GPIB interface to check the firmware. I found a simple arduino program on the internet that can send simple commands.

http://egirland.blogspot.com/2014/03/arduino-uno-as-usb-to-gpib-controller.html

And the 6622 manual: http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5957-6377.pdf

It does send commands to the machine, but it doesn't recognize any of them. I keep getting "Invalid Str" and "Syntax Error" even though I'm typing them as in the instructions. I think this is because it's meant to interface with a command line computer with BASIC. So is there maybe a certain way I have to type them that's not in the manual? Are there any (ascii) codes sent along with the data that aren't being sent without BASIC? (I could add these into the program as hex codes)
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline andrija

• Regular Contributor
Re: Arduino GPIB Controller
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:46:03 pm »
Did you try setting the CR/LF option or otherwise making sure the settings are correct? Do you have any other GPIB capable equipment around?  If you can't get it to work, I can suggest an adapter I recently bought off Ebay. The project link is here https://github.com/Galvant. The adapter is CDN$70 on Ebay but since it's open hardware you can probably build it cheaper if you need to. It works well for me and looks like the cheapest option.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 10:43:18 pm »
It has only Carriage Return (CR) and New Line (NL). I'm not sure if it sends a line feed. I could try adding it in the code.

EDIT: It does, it's the same thing as NL. I can run the program in "Deep Debug" and see if I can find anything.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:48:11 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 06:11:46 pm »
Running it in "deep debug" reveals that it's sending a random E then a quote mark. I have no idea where this is coming from.

EDIT: It's trying to send GPIB addresses to it in a strange format (the E" thing) which A) it doesn't understand because it'd too old to have automatic addressing (it's a manual setting) B)if I disable it the program breaks >:(

Can anyone look at the program and find a way to disable it sending garbage address characters? (all the way at the bottom) I need it to just send raw commands with the end of command characters.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:49:02 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf