Author Topic: Batteroo testing  (Read 133457 times)

Offline BarsMonster

• Contributor
    • Microchips internals
Re: Batteroo testing
« Reply #600 on: July 01, 2017, 05:44:29 PM »
I just hope they had the foresight to include some kind of configuration option for other output voltage (ranges)  ;D

Unlikely, they specify 1.8V as maximum voltage. They likely used 1.8V transistors in the design (lowest resistance per unit of area).
But derivative design could have been made with 3.3-5V transistors.
Microchips internals: http://zeptobars.com/

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
    • DextersLab2013
« Reply #601 on: July 01, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »
Still no word from Zeptobars... I thought a batteriser was sent more than a month ago by Dexters_lab.
Curious to see the die. Any news about this?

Sorry for keeping you all waiting:
https://zeptobars.com/en/read/BTR004K-Batteriser-Batteroo-switched-capacitor-boost-dcdc

great work! thanks for decapping this one and posting it up, really interesting to see under the cover!

given the custom design and the effort gone into packaging it into the sleeve it seems they really did put effort into designing the batteriser to work well, such a shame the theory that underpins it is just flawed
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
http://www.youtube.com/user/DextersLab2013
http://dexterslab2013.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #602 on: July 01, 2017, 07:20:46 PM »
given the custom design and the effort gone into packaging it into the sleeve it seems they really did put effort into designing the batteriser to work well, such a shame the theory that underpins it is just flawed
The technology is very impressive. In terms of idle current and current capacity for the voltages, it seems to be way ahead of anything else on the market. We are talking about being much better then the best that Linear Technology, Analog Devices, Microchip Technologies and Maxim can do. An amazing technical achievement

If the design was tweaked, it could be one of the best low voltage boost converter chips available. I am a huge fan of AA and AAA cells  - they have been around for over 60 years and will be here for many decades to come. For devices that use low power, that need easily replaceable batteries or that can be used for decades, AA and AAA are the best. With modern efficiency, it is possible to power useful devices of just one AA or AAA battery cell. With the very low idle current on this boost converter, the converter does not need to be switched off, making controller soft power switching possible.

There is not currently a decent converter chip on the market that can do this. The idle current is too high, and the maximum output current when the battery is at 0.9v is often pretty low. A modified Batterizer chip could be perfect.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #603 on: July 01, 2017, 07:34:58 PM »
I just hope they had the foresight to include some kind of configuration option for other output voltage (ranges)  ;D

Unlikely, they specify 1.8V as maximum voltage. They likely used 1.8V transistors in the design (lowest resistance per unit of area).
But derivative design could have been made with 3.3-5V transistors.

Weren't they in the process of making a 9V Batteriser?
They in fact promised to deliver one to every IGG backer.

Offline Luminax

• Regular Contributor
    • Electronesk
« Reply #604 on: July 06, 2017, 11:12:22 AM »
I remember something about Fitipower's IC at the other thread... perhaps if someone can get their hands on one so we can do a die comparison
Jack of all trade - Master of some... I hope...

Online Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #605 on: October 11, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
A little necroposting because I promised an update when the time came.

One of the items much discussed was the Apple wireless keyboard. So, back in February, the 17th to be precise, I put two new Duracell Industrial alkaline AAs in my Apple Bluetooth keyboard. After a few weeks of low battery warnings, starting at an indicated 10% according to Apple's drivers, today it got to 4% and I decided it was finally time to change the batteries.

Interestingly, the unloaded voltage of the cells I just took out were 1.16V and 1.17V (10Mohm meter, so a tiny load ~120nA) - suspiciously close to the 1.2V figure Batteroo were always flinging about, perhaps it's where they got that figure from initially.

This is one of the rare occasions where measuring a cell's unloaded voltage is probably justified as that's what the keyboard itself is most likely going to be measuring. That is, the load the keyboard presents is negligible except when it's transmitting, when it is transmitting it pulls a sharp current pulse and then goes back to idling. Obviously it's unlikely that it is going to have the measurement sophistication to measure the battery during a pulse, measurement during idle is much more likely both from an instrumentation point of view and a coding point of view.

Just for completeness I also measured each cell with a 4k load (an educated guess at a mean loading in circuit) in parallel and got the same voltages, with the only difference being instead of a steady reading at the 10 uV level it was slowly drifting down, as you would expect.

Anyway, the Batterizer/Batteroo testing issue is a dead one but I remember promising an update when I needed to change batteries so that was it. It might be a useful data point for someone in the future.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #606 on: November 12, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »
One month later I can also chime in on the last fact: I have several Logitech devices which seem to run forever on standard cells. However, when low-voltage strikes, they start behaving erratically: the mouse loses clicks and keyboard fails to wake up on first keypress. The unloaded voltage is always around 1.2V, but, there is an LED on pairing and it tries to draw a large amount of current (1-2mA vs <10uA) on first user action. Also, the switches pull some current when actuated, not significant for us Arduino types, but every 10uA counts at that level. Just some food for thought.

I still think the current uC technology is amazing; "some" years ago I had a 1.3MP digital camera with a segmented <1" LCD that could only take 30-40 pics on 2xAAAs. It drew ~200mA while on and ~75mA while "off". It was probably the programmers' fault but nonetheless..

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #607 on: November 24, 2017, 10:13:26 AM »
AA Batteroo testing, with the usual expected results.
Very thorough testing  :-+
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?428675-Test-review-of-Batteroo-AA-with-a-Duracell-battery

Offline maukka

• Supporter
« Reply #608 on: November 24, 2017, 06:10:18 PM »
And since the CPF forums are often painfully slow, here's HKJ's own site with the Batteroo review:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Batteroo%20AA%20UK.html

The following users thanked this post: nrxnrx, nugglix

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #609 on: January 05, 2018, 09:55:02 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted before, but more testing on a capacity meter shows the Batteroo shortens the life, surprise surprise.
And it doesn't fit into most of the 20 odd devices he tried it on.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #610 on: January 05, 2018, 10:22:40 AM »
More silly shills in the comments section, somebody should probably tell them that everybody else is a wake up to their shenanigans.   ::) :P :palm:

One smart cookie, better make that two for good measure.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #611 on: January 05, 2018, 10:27:12 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted before, but more testing on a capacity meter shows the Batteroo shortens the life, surprise surprise.
And it doesn't fit into most of the 20 odd devices he tried it on.
To be fair, it's not a good test. What happened was that batteroo couldn't supply enough current to the charger. I have the same charger and what it does, it takes pulses of high current rather than pulling those 200mA constantly.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #612 on: January 22, 2018, 10:09:10 AM »
Uh oh! One of the product review channels I watch got a set of ReBoosts last December. He's just an average Joe sort of product review guy (he knows a little bit of tech stuff), but if he does anything with them, it would be funny to see the average consumers reaction to this crap (and it not working at all). It was already funny when he put a very weak battery in it and it just died in the tester with the booster on it. :-DD
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #613 on: January 24, 2018, 03:23:35 PM »
More silly shills in the comments section, somebody should probably tell them that everybody else is a wake up to their shenanigans.   ::) :P :palm:

Classic astroturfing!  :-DD

Our friends at Batteroo continue to shell out the LOL's

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #614 on: January 24, 2018, 04:30:09 PM »
I've been looking to get one of these oximeters after a home nurse came around recently and used one to check if I still had a pulse  ::) :phew:, there are plenty of these units about on Ebay and elsewhere but with most being similar in appearance it is rather difficult to identify one from another, perhaps Batteroo would be so kind as to chime in and tell which specific oximeter they use and recommend.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #615 on: January 24, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »
I've been looking to get one of these oximeters after a home nurse came around recently and used one to check if I still had a pulse  ::) :phew:, there are plenty of these units about on Ebay and elsewhere but with most being similar in appearance it is rather difficult to identify one from another, perhaps Batteroo would be so kind as to chime in and tell which specific oximeter they use and recommend.

Just for reference, I did a quick teardown... http://kean.com.au/oshw/oximeter/

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #616 on: January 24, 2018, 04:56:27 PM »
Thanks, that AliExpress link is no longer valid and a search there brings up a myriad of different models pretty much the same as Ebay, one manual I downloaded states a battery life of about thirty hours from two AAA's with a current draw of around forty milliamps, is that about what your unit gets and draws ?.

Edit: I just discovered that Batteroo released a video around twelve months ago in relation to their testing of the CMS-50DL oximeter yet they promoted this on Twitter only a week or so ago, it would appear that they are just recycling old rubbish.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:00:43 PM by Muttley Snickers »

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #617 on: January 24, 2018, 05:10:40 PM »

Classic astroturfing!  :-DD

Our friends at Batteroo continue to shell out the LOL's

Reminds me to teleshopping channels :)

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #618 on: January 24, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »
Surely the company must be getting close to being dead in the water?
Their new product was a commercial flop, unless they have found a deal though a big chain store.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #619 on: January 24, 2018, 08:23:37 PM »
Thanks, that AliExpress link is no longer valid and a search there brings up a myriad of different models pretty much the same as Ebay, one manual I downloaded states a battery life of about thirty hours from two AAA's with a current draw of around forty milliamps, is that about what your unit gets and draws ?.

Edit: I just discovered that Batteroo released a video around twelve months ago in relation to their testing of the CMS-50DL oximeter yet they promoted this on Twitter only a week or so ago, it would appear that they are just recycling old rubbish.

I took a quick measurement and I get ~13.5mA peak active current, although it jumps around a bit as the measurement LED flashes.  Drops to 5.2mA if no finger present, but then auto powers down after a short delay.
These are typical Chinese unbranded product without any actual model number - the display on mine seems to be rotated 90 degrees from that tweeted image.  I can post a spare one to you if you have some AAA batterizers and feel like running some tests.  My email is (too) easy to find.

Offline martinator

• Contributor
« Reply #620 on: January 24, 2018, 08:25:23 PM »
The fact that Dave is so Anti-Batteroo just makes me believe in Batteroo even more. Of course there's going to be anomalies, they are deliberately put there to test my faith in Batteroo.

Batteroo works in mysterious ways that are incomprehensible to the feeble human mind. We look like Batteroo by design, but they are superior to us in matters of the mind. How can anyone deny the evidence provided by infallible witnesses on social media?.
I don't need to be there to witness things with my own eyes when the evidence of Batteroo's miracles is so strong.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #621 on: January 24, 2018, 08:39:35 PM »
- the display on mine seems to be rotated 90 degrees from that tweeted image.

The display on the one I have can be rotated by a short press of the button.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #622 on: January 24, 2018, 08:56:26 PM »
- the display on mine seems to be rotated 90 degrees from that tweeted image.

The display on the one I have can be rotated by a short press of the button.

Yes, same here.  Five different display modes, with 3 rotation angles.  And a long press enables/disables the BEEP BEEP BEEP

I meant the display was physically rotated, so not the exact same model.  See attached photos.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #623 on: February 15, 2018, 10:33:38 AM »
The fact that Dave is so Anti-Batteroo just makes me believe in Batteroo even more. Of course there's going to be anomalies, they are deliberately put there to test my faith in Batteroo.
Batteroo works in mysterious ways that are incomprehensible to the feeble human mind. We look like Batteroo by design, but they are superior to us in matters of the mind. How can anyone deny the evidence provided by infallible witnesses on social media?.
I don't need to be there to witness things with my own eyes when the evidence of Batteroo's miracles is so strong.

Batteroo has lasted so long, even I'm starting to believe  ;D
In 1000 years the Roohparvar brothers will be worshiped as messiahs!

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #624 on: February 23, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
Cue: "Life of Brian"

I believe the Batteroo sleeve does just what we would have expected.  (The idea isn't exactly new.)
I believe the miniaturisation effort was a commendable bit of engineering.
I believe the Roohparvar boys have no idea about battery chemistry.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf