Author Topic: Batteroo testing  (Read 266343 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Batteroo testing
« Reply #600 on: November 23, 2017, 11:13:26 pm »
AA Batteroo testing, with the usual expected results.
Very thorough testing  :-+
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?428675-Test-review-of-Batteroo-AA-with-a-Duracell-battery

Offline maukka

• Supporter
« Reply #601 on: November 24, 2017, 07:10:18 am »
And since the CPF forums are often painfully slow, here's HKJ's own site with the Batteroo review:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Batteroo%20AA%20UK.html

The following users thanked this post: nrxnrx, nugglix

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #602 on: January 04, 2018, 10:55:02 pm »
Not sure if this has been posted before, but more testing on a capacity meter shows the Batteroo shortens the life, surprise surprise.
And it doesn't fit into most of the 20 odd devices he tried it on.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #603 on: January 04, 2018, 11:22:40 pm »
More silly shills in the comments section, somebody should probably tell them that everybody else is a wake up to their shenanigans.   ::) :P :palm:

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #604 on: January 04, 2018, 11:27:12 pm »
Not sure if this has been posted before, but more testing on a capacity meter shows the Batteroo shortens the life, surprise surprise.
And it doesn't fit into most of the 20 odd devices he tried it on.
To be fair, it's not a good test. What happened was that batteroo couldn't supply enough current to the charger. I have the same charger and what it does, it takes pulses of high current rather than pulling those 200mA constantly.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #605 on: January 21, 2018, 11:09:10 pm »
Uh oh! One of the product review channels I watch got a set of ReBoosts last December. He's just an average Joe sort of product review guy (he knows a little bit of tech stuff), but if he does anything with them, it would be funny to see the average consumers reaction to this crap (and it not working at all). It was already funny when he put a very weak battery in it and it just died in the tester with the booster on it. :-DD
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #606 on: January 24, 2018, 04:23:35 am »
More silly shills in the comments section, somebody should probably tell them that everybody else is a wake up to their shenanigans.   ::) :P :palm:

Classic astroturfing!  :-DD

Our friends at Batteroo continue to shell out the LOL's

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #607 on: January 24, 2018, 05:30:09 am »
I've been looking to get one of these oximeters after a home nurse came around recently and used one to check if I still had a pulse  ::) :phew:, there are plenty of these units about on Ebay and elsewhere but with most being similar in appearance it is rather difficult to identify one from another, perhaps Batteroo would be so kind as to chime in and tell which specific oximeter they use and recommend.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #608 on: January 24, 2018, 05:36:44 am »
I've been looking to get one of these oximeters after a home nurse came around recently and used one to check if I still had a pulse  ::) :phew:, there are plenty of these units about on Ebay and elsewhere but with most being similar in appearance it is rather difficult to identify one from another, perhaps Batteroo would be so kind as to chime in and tell which specific oximeter they use and recommend.

Just for reference, I did a quick teardown... http://kean.com.au/oshw/oximeter/

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #609 on: January 24, 2018, 05:56:27 am »
Thanks, that AliExpress link is no longer valid and a search there brings up a myriad of different models pretty much the same as Ebay, one manual I downloaded states a battery life of about thirty hours from two AAA's with a current draw of around forty milliamps, is that about what your unit gets and draws ?.

Edit: I just discovered that Batteroo released a video around twelve months ago in relation to their testing of the CMS-50DL oximeter yet they promoted this on Twitter only a week or so ago, it would appear that they are just recycling old rubbish.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:00:43 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline FrankBussTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #610 on: January 24, 2018, 06:10:40 am »

Classic astroturfing!  :-DD

Our friends at Batteroo continue to shell out the LOL's

Reminds me to teleshopping channels :)

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #611 on: January 24, 2018, 08:40:04 am »
Surely the company must be getting close to being dead in the water?
Their new product was a commercial flop, unless they have found a deal though a big chain store.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #612 on: January 24, 2018, 09:23:37 am »
Thanks, that AliExpress link is no longer valid and a search there brings up a myriad of different models pretty much the same as Ebay, one manual I downloaded states a battery life of about thirty hours from two AAA's with a current draw of around forty milliamps, is that about what your unit gets and draws ?.

Edit: I just discovered that Batteroo released a video around twelve months ago in relation to their testing of the CMS-50DL oximeter yet they promoted this on Twitter only a week or so ago, it would appear that they are just recycling old rubbish.

I took a quick measurement and I get ~13.5mA peak active current, although it jumps around a bit as the measurement LED flashes.  Drops to 5.2mA if no finger present, but then auto powers down after a short delay.
These are typical Chinese unbranded product without any actual model number - the display on mine seems to be rotated 90 degrees from that tweeted image.  I can post a spare one to you if you have some AAA batterizers and feel like running some tests.  My email is (too) easy to find.

The following users thanked this post: Muttley Snickers

Offline martinator

• Contributor
« Reply #613 on: January 24, 2018, 09:25:23 am »
The fact that Dave is so Anti-Batteroo just makes me believe in Batteroo even more. Of course there's going to be anomalies, they are deliberately put there to test my faith in Batteroo.

Batteroo works in mysterious ways that are incomprehensible to the feeble human mind. We look like Batteroo by design, but they are superior to us in matters of the mind. How can anyone deny the evidence provided by infallible witnesses on social media?.
I don't need to be there to witness things with my own eyes when the evidence of Batteroo's miracles is so strong.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #614 on: January 24, 2018, 09:39:35 am »
- the display on mine seems to be rotated 90 degrees from that tweeted image.

The display on the one I have can be rotated by a short press of the button.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #615 on: January 24, 2018, 09:56:26 am »
- the display on mine seems to be rotated 90 degrees from that tweeted image.

The display on the one I have can be rotated by a short press of the button.

Yes, same here.  Five different display modes, with 3 rotation angles.  And a long press enables/disables the BEEP BEEP BEEP

I meant the display was physically rotated, so not the exact same model.  See attached photos.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #616 on: February 14, 2018, 11:33:38 pm »
The fact that Dave is so Anti-Batteroo just makes me believe in Batteroo even more. Of course there's going to be anomalies, they are deliberately put there to test my faith in Batteroo.
Batteroo works in mysterious ways that are incomprehensible to the feeble human mind. We look like Batteroo by design, but they are superior to us in matters of the mind. How can anyone deny the evidence provided by infallible witnesses on social media?.
I don't need to be there to witness things with my own eyes when the evidence of Batteroo's miracles is so strong.

Batteroo has lasted so long, even I'm starting to believe  ;D
In 1000 years the Roohparvar brothers will be worshiped as messiahs!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #617 on: February 22, 2018, 11:59:44 pm »
Cue: "Life of Brian"

I believe the Batteroo sleeve does just what we would have expected.  (The idea isn't exactly new.)
I believe the miniaturisation effort was a commendable bit of engineering.
I believe the Roohparvar boys have no idea about battery chemistry.

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #618 on: March 16, 2018, 03:49:35 am »
Why does this product have so much discussion, and why do so many people on here care ???? I'm just very surprised at the # of posts (and now this 1)

Offline FrankBussTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #619 on: March 16, 2018, 10:59:21 am »
Why does this product have so much discussion, and why do so many people on here care ???? I'm just very surprised at the # of posts (and now this 1)

If you want to see much discussion, look at the general discussion thread  :)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-751-how-to-debunk-a-product-(the-batteriser)/

I guess the reason why so many people are interested in it, is their hilarious claim to get 800% more out of a battery in their initial marketing, and some engineers want to debunk such silly numbers.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #620 on: March 16, 2018, 03:20:25 pm »
Watching the Charlie-Foxtrot that is Battero is what counts as entertainment for many engineers, that's why the thread is so long. That combined with the incredulity that many have watching the marketing machine grind away at a product that, examined with a little science, cannot meet its claims.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #621 on: March 19, 2018, 07:42:01 am »

Because if more people listened to engineers those millions might have been spent on something that improves the world, not to buy some new suits for people like the Batteroo Brothers.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #622 on: March 21, 2018, 07:56:03 am »

I would re-quote every one of the posts above - but just read them again for me...  :)

If you thought this thread was long, just look at the thread that brought this product into the EEVblog forum. (Link given by FrankBuss above.)

It's a classic tale where engineers - or anyone with half an appreciation of the factors involved - took up the challenge to call out the marketing beat-up that was the Batteroo Sleeve.

Now sit back my little munchkins.  Snuggle up in your blanky and wrap your hands around that delicious mug of hot chocolate and I'll tell you a story....

The entire saga played out over a period of years, with a lack of technical information supplied by Batteroo being filled in by engineering guesses - and the little in the way of numbers supplied by Batteroo relating to battery chemistry held out to the ridicule it deserved.  Some of those guesses were based on existing technologies that we fully expected Batteroo to be following and they turned out to be pretty darn close.  One that we were slightly off about was the battery life indicator issue.  However, once we had some real data, we were able to make a more accurate statement.  Basically, battery life indicators wouldn't be totally useless - they would be next to useless.

The veil of non-communication smelled awfully like a straight out scam for so long - but we were given teasers that suggested there might be a real product.  (We even had some efforts made by members here to create their own prototypes.)  Some time later - we actually see a real product!!

When we finally get our hands on them, we find it is exactly what we had guessed it would be - and we did, indeed, congratulate Batteroo for making a very good effort in the miniaturisation and capabilities (even if there were some questions on the mechanical construction).  But even making a very good product didn't get around one fundamental problem ... the chemistry of the batteries to be used in their product just DID NOT HAVE the energy available that Batteroo was claiming to be able to extract.  Their marketing claims were, as we call it in Australia, bullshit.  Even after "adjusting" some of their claims, it was still bullshit.

Oh, and along the way we got to hear claims of the mysterious involvement of "Big Battery" who were trying to secretly undermine this "threat" to their business.  We all thought that was as funny as hell.

There was one brand name that did step in - Eveready - but that had absolutely nothing to do with the product per se.  It was to do with the original name for the product: Batteriser.  As I understand it, Eveready felt the audible similarity between "Batteriser" and "Energizer" was enough to cause potential confusion in the marketplace - where the Batteriser might be thought to be part of the Energizer range of product offerings.  With this and having a very good idea of what the Batteriser product would bring to the marketplace, I can completely understand Eveready wanting to have some distance.  Also, Batteroo would have gained some marketing benefit by this.  Eveready pursued this and it seems the matter was settled quietly.  From that point onward, the product became known as the Batteroo Sleeve.  Eveready did, however, show a kindness.  They allowed Batteroo to use up materials already manufactured that had "Batteriser" on them, but any new product, packaging and marketing would have to change.

With the product now available, lots of people started doing lots of testing and lots of "testimonials" were offered.  Batteroo even had a competition or two going offering prizes for the best testimonials.  You can imagine how objective those were.  Batteroo claims started becoming more "qualified", but as time went by, the inevitable revelation begins to dawn on even those who really wanted to give the product a red hot go ... the engineers predictions were right.

There are still those who will champion the Batteroo Sleeve, shouting it from the rooftops, demonstrating this and (claiming to) "prove" that - but, at the end of the day, the Batteroo Sleeve doesn't come close to the original marketing claims ... and never can.  Their product is (dare I say it?) technically admirable, but it cannot extract energy that is simply unavailable.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:05:37 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, nuno, Kean

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #623 on: March 21, 2018, 08:23:42 am »
One that we were slightly off about was the battery life indicator issue.  However, once we had some real data, we were able to make a more accurate statement.  Basically, battery life indicators wouldn't be totally useless - they would be next to useless.

Yes, that was the only surprise, but it actually wasn't through good design, as all their initial marketing and claims said the output voltage would be completely flat at 1.5V. In practice it wasn't the case, and it seems like they relised after the fact that that might actually be somewhat beneficial.

When we finally get our hands on them, we find it is exactly what we had guessed it would be - and we did, indeed, congratulate Batteroo for making a very good effort in the miniaturisation and capabilities (even if there were some questions on the mechanical construction).  But even making a very good product didn't get around one fundamental problem ... the chemistry of the batteries to be used in their product just DID NOT HAVE the energy available that Batteroo was claiming to be able to extract.  Their marketing claims were, as we call it in Australia, bullshit.  Even after "adjusting" some of their claims, it was still bullshit.

And that's the thing with not only Batteroo, but many other things that have had their marketing claims been debunked on here, no matter how well you engineer and implement it, an impractical idea is still and impractical idea. The old "you can't polish a turd" thing.

Oh, and along the way we got to hear claims of the mysterious involvement of "Big Battery" who were trying to secretly undermine this "threat" to their business.  We all thought that was as funny as hell.

There was even more drama and intrigue than just technical. We had the owner of the "official" Batteroo Youtube channel threatend a 13yo blogger with physical violence. We had "someone" pay for dislikes on mine and other videos debunking Batteroo, Energizer taking them down for trademark infringement, fake paid-for testimonial videos, and we had Dr Bob personally slander me and threatening me with legal action in a national newspaper article. Among many other things I'm not remembering right now.
This was the ultimate soap opera engineering saga, everyone was tuning in each week to see what new stupid things Batteroo were saying or doing.

Offline Wilson

• !
« Reply #624 on: March 22, 2018, 07:47:29 am »
They renamed themselves because Energizer was after their ass ???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf