Author Topic: Best ADC for low latency, audio frequency range  (Read 4963 times)

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Best ADC for low latency, audio frequency range
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 11:38:49 pm »
What kind of FIR filter have shorter preringing than 2 sample at 48 KHz samplerate and audio frequencies? Becose its FIR filter,you must wait the whole lenght of pre ringing,and that can I believe in your case and large bit depths like 16 or more bits be very long.

I don't think he had decided the algorithm yet, but with FPGAs you can get the output quite shortly after the last sample comes in, as you already can have all the other samples pre processed, multiply the last one add and out it goes. It's only limited by the mesh size but she should be right.

For working on the algorithm before having the hardware is possible with controlled signals, even if you have quite a bit of lag you could recreate the signal in the lab, so capture, process, recreate and use the processed signal. Or do a periodic signal and control a delay for n periods sync. Once you get the algorithm working this way you know how much processing power you need from your FPGA and how much lag you can live with. Then emulate in different FPGAs so you know which will cut it. That's good for design as you know with which FPGA you need to build the system and not trial and error till you get the fitting FPGA, which will be quite expensive and time consuming considering you need to make new PCBs for each FPGA.

JS
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

The following users thanked this post: fonograph

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf