Author Topic: best breakproof potting compound  (Read 7897 times)

Online SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
best breakproof potting compound
« on: October 09, 2014, 09:25:52 am »
We are shipping a one off prototype to a customer, small pcb in a plastic enclosure, we want to make as sure as possible that they don't try to get into it and copy it. Any recommendations on the worst potting compound to try and break into ?

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Re: best breakproof potting compound
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:32:36 am »
Cement.

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 09:33:40 am »
Err I think cement will happily break up and fall away nicely making it very easy to see what is inside.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 09:44:04 am »
No, I mean you fill buckets with the cement, along with your client's feet. Then you push them off a pier.

This guarantees they will never divulge *any* of your secrets.

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 09:49:28 am »
Slight problem with that plan, they won't be buying thousands of the things after that  |O

I have spoken to a potting company, the recommendation is STYCAST2850FT with a CAT11 catalyst, apparently even diamond drills fail

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:52:47 am »
Ah you already have your answer then, I would have suggested epoxy mixed with some dust of a very hard material (hardest you can afford), diamonddust, or sand from selected source.
But if they want too they can break anything even thought about xraying the darn thing?
What I should do is put in the contract that they do not own the prototype and that they return the delivered item in good condition meaning not been opened or broken  ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:55:32 am by Kjelt »

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 11:42:37 am »
apparently even diamond drills fail
Not because it's hard. If (sintetic) diamond drills fails, is because they are not the right tool. The compound is NOT granite hard so it cloggle the diamonds.

The only way to beat diamond drills (if they not cloggle) is to attack the way the sintetic diamonds are sticked to the drill: that is a particular glue that cannot resist to heavy temperatures (600°C and over).

IMO you need something like the epoxy used in sealed transformers mixed with a little bit of dark powder.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:47:25 am by mcinque »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 12:21:33 pm »
I bet that epoxy won't stand a chance against concentrated nitric acid...
But if they want too they can break anything even thought about xraying the darn thing?
What I should do is put in the contract that they do not own the prototype and that they return the delivered item in good condition meaning not been opened or broken  ;)
I agree with this. You can't stop anyone who is determined enough to reverse-engineer it. (Speaking from personal experience. ;))

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 01:14:22 pm »
in actual fact the thing is that simple it's not worth trying to reverse engineer, why my employer is so bothered is just down to them thinking it's so clever, it would be faster to redesign the thing.

Offline SArepairman

• Frequent Contributor
  • wannabee bit hunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 06:09:02 pm »
ya they can put it in nitric acid lol

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »
any epoxy (suitable for the temperature range of the product) mixed with a very fine grain sand will do the trick - i used to do it that way. it's hard to machine - because of the sand (it kills regular drill bits or saw blades quite quickly ) and it's not transparent - again thanks to the sand.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 06:40:36 pm »
So you use the styrocast ( that stuff looks impressive, strong, hard and resistant to almost anything aside from blowtorches and strong acids) and use some fine and coarse silica sand ( preferably a washed and graded sand, not your bog standard building sand) with a big vacuum degassing chamber to degas the epoxy sand mix prior to potting, then an overnight 80C cure afterwards. Tip for the degassing chamber is to use a refrigerant drier ( preferably a bloody big one with a replaceable core and a fine particle filter as well) on the line to the vacuum pump to act as a filter to remove the inevitable sucking of epoxy into the suction line. That way you only have a filter to replace and a short line to do as well, not an entire expensive vacuum pump. If you do not mind voids then do not degas and accept that you will have bubbles in the cured product.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 06:45:44 pm »
It is really difficult to protect IP. To be honest it must be destroyed when someone needs to break some protection. There are only bad choices as far as I know.
You can protect it with potting, but this will not prevent copying, you also cannot fully controls people familiar with your design.
So I suppose that nowadays it is only about the putting things on market really fast.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:41:02 pm by plesa »

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 08:05:17 pm »
So you use the styrocast ( that stuff looks impressive, strong, hard and resistant to almost anything aside from blowtorches and strong acids) and use some fine and coarse silica sand ( preferably a washed and graded sand, not your bog standard building sand) with a big vacuum degassing chamber to degas the epoxy sand mix prior to potting, then an overnight 80C cure afterwards. Tip for the degassing chamber is to use a refrigerant drier ( preferably a bloody big one with a replaceable core and a fine particle filter as well) on the line to the vacuum pump to act as a filter to remove the inevitable sucking of epoxy into the suction line. That way you only have a filter to replace and a short line to do as well, not an entire expensive vacuum pump. If you do not mind voids then do not degas and accept that you will have bubbles in the cured product.

or mix the sand in advance with only single component of the epoxy, and mix the second component of the epoxy prior to usage. this way you don't have to degas with vacuum - the bubbles will have enough time to go away (ok. not all of them, but most of them will go away) ;)

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 08:10:08 pm »
It is really difficult to protect IP. To be honest it must be destroyed when someone needs to break some protection. There are only bad choices as far as I know.
You can protect it with potting, but this will not prevent copying, you also cannot fully controls people familiar with your design.
So I suppose that nowadays it is only about the putting things on market really fast.

yes it's difficult to protect, and everyone knows there is no 100% protection ;)  but the main goal is to make the copy difficult, actually make it as difficult as designing a new product. once the competitor has to design the product from scratch, then it's regular competition, not stealing ;)

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 09:29:33 pm »
It's really not worth copying, the idea is worth more than the design time and IP

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 01:14:24 am »
Find a new customer.  If they're that stupid and/or shitty, you don't want their business.

If your employer disagrees, find a new employer for the same logic.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 02:15:01 am »
Find a new customer.  If they're that stupid and/or shitty, you don't want their business.

Tim

Agreed. A good electronic epoxy will actually retain a small measure of flexibility because a bar setting epoxy will spear parts off a board the. Temps start changing. Different temp co' of expansion.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 05:56:04 am »

Tim

I take it you don't work in a niche market (employer and customer) with no qualifications and just starting to make something of it.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 06:02:16 am »
I know a few people whose business could be described that way, but they don't ask for obscurity.

If it's so easy to copy, your company must be asking too much on the price.  (Sounds like a supply issue?  Maybe your employer has problems with quoting figures?  Maybe shades of the original supposition?  Idunno.)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 06:12:30 am »
They are a mechanical company and I designed this in my spare time as i saw a "gap" for an electronic system, they showed it to a supplier who's kit it is designed to work with (despite my warning they would only resell it to competitors if they bought it) and now one of those competitors is very interested so they are just a little concerned they will be trying to copy it. I think the price is about right (in fact the level of interest shows that it's quite a good price), it's just that we (I) have hit on a really good idea because I realized they were overestimating the cost and underestimating the value of adding a little bit of electronics to their main kit so i did it and demonstrated it and a whole new world suddenly opened up for them.

Bearing in mind the guy that is now championing this spent all the time i spent developing it telling me I was wasting my time and acting like it would have to work on steam if it was going to work and be cheap. So i put the whole package together with complete assembled quote price slapped it on his desk and now he's holding onto it for dear life. It's a good little earner in itself and very good added value to existing kit.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 07:03:54 am »
Coat it in lacquer, then in JB weld metal epoxy, It is possible to break into by soaking in mentholated spirits for an hour, scape off a few softened microns, then repeat, but if you make it thick and they still go to the effort of cloning it, you could encase it in anything and they would still get it eventually, JB weld is just one of the best deterrents i know, seeing as i had to reverse engineer something encased in a thin layer of it, if it was more than 2mm thick i would have given up and rebuilt based on functionality,

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 01:36:45 pm »

Tim
isn't this pretty mich "standard" project for Simon? ;)
Just wait a day or two and he will tell that his boss wants it to work in liquid nitrogen while proplled by 120mm mortar to the sky.

If you want to make copycats work for their bread go creative and mine your prototype. :d
-shorted zeners and diodes for jumper wires
-open circuited failed resistors for no real functionality. In series with plenty of tantalum capacitor that will go  flames if failed resistor is replaced with working one.
- shorted mosfets.
- vgs-th matched mosfets in a senseless ugly design that wont work without matching components.
- logic chips or microcontrollers with some of the  inputs "zapped" permanently to either ground or vcc. :d

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 03:43:38 pm »
isn't this pretty mich "standard" project for Simon? ;)

Just wait a day or two and he will tell that his boss wants it to work in liquid nitrogen while proplled by 120mm mortar to the sky.

Shit i nearly forgot that myself  :scared: This started as my own simple little thing that I cooked up from scratch and was going to deliver as my own creation. Now they have done the usual and trying to complicate matters, we are talking about something that comes standard potted fully assembled for £15-17....
If you want to make copycats work for their bread go creative and mine your prototype. :d
-shorted zeners and diodes for jumper wires
-open circuited failed resistors for no real functionality. In series with plenty of tantalum capacitor that will go  flames if failed resistor is replaced with working one.
- shorted mosfets.
- vgs-th matched mosfets in a senseless ugly design that wont work without matching components.
- logic chips or microcontrollers with some of the  inputs "zapped" permanently to either ground or vcc. :d

It's 1 reg, 1 mcu, 1 output signal mosfet and related caps and resistors, it hardly bears trying to copy and trying to complicate it with decoys will double it's size and cost
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:16:07 pm by Simon »

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 04:28:36 pm »

it hardly bears trying to copy and trying to complicate it with decoys will double it's size and cost
Well, then you can sell it with twice as big price tag  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf