Author Topic: Does anyone has experience with COGNEX computer vision systems?  (Read 780 times)

Offline engineheatTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
They are usually used in industrial settings. I wonder if they run on proprietary programs or if you are allowed to write your own algorithms in Python or C++?

Thanks

Offline KerryW

• Regular Contributor
Re: Does anyone has experience with COGNEX computer vision systems?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:41:23 pm »
I used them back in the 90's.  They were already designed in to systems when I arrived, so I only made minor modifications to the software.  And it WAS 20 years ago.  Much may have changed, and much has been forgotten.

As best I remember, we just linked to a supplied library in C++.  I was supporting DOS based machines, and they were dropping DOS support about that time.  When I asked about information so I could write my own routines, I was told that that information was proprietary.
One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions
- Adm. Grace Hopper

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
Re: Does anyone has experience with COGNEX computer vision systems?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:39:41 pm »
We use 'em at work and they're fantastic. I think all our stuff is written in Visual BASIC and C++ and just links to a library. Before we got them, I questioned why we didn't just get a "dumb" camera system. After seeing what they could do, especially how fast they can do it (we use them for motion inspection test systems), I was sold.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf