Author Topic: BOMER - Parts Inventory and BOM Management  (Read 4134 times)

Offline msrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
BOMER - Parts Inventory and BOM Management
« on: July 24, 2017, 07:31:26 am »
Hey everyone,

I'd like to share with you something I've been developing for quite a while now.
It's called BOMER, a Parts Inventory and BOM Management software for electronics.

It is more than a simple parts management tool. It allows you to manage Projects (BOMs) and Orders and get real-time pricing information. This feature alone is extremely useful to get an idea what the total/unit cost for a 10,100,1000 units run would be and, for that same reason, to quickly quote projects (in case you, like me, create hardware for a living and need to send quotations often).

It will have a paid version but it will also have a FREE one, forever. It's now in BETA, full featured and with extended limits.

If you, like me, struggle on keeping your inventory and projects organized, give it a try! Let me know what you think and how you'd like to see it improved.

More info & download: http://bomer.co
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:21:05 pm by msr »

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
BOMER
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 11:16:04 am »
Looks nice! As the resident design nazi, thumbs up on the UI. It looks attractive, functional and makes good use of screenspace.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
Re: BOMER
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 12:17:36 pm »
Sill no price on the pro version? Still going to be subscription based?

Like I expressed in the Component Organizer Software thread, I like the look and feel of this a lot but I was missing "hierachical" storage locations (like shelf->box->compartement etc) and I without knowing the potential cost of the Pro-version it's just not worth it for me to spend more time with it. The free version is too limited for me and I avoid subsription based software like the plague.

Offline nelsonm

• Contributor
    • Something Eloquent
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 03:16:42 pm »
What platform is this for? the download link gave me a tarball with a unix executable in it, you have no info on the website regarding OS expectations or minimum hardware.
Also, if my macOS was detected as a flavour of linux, there's possibly something up with that user agent detect, since I'm not spoofing.
Also also, in the tarball, there's no README or license or anything, and if you're using the free version of QT in your development you may have some legal concerns without including the licence and (access to) source code.

Edited to add:
It looks like a pretty handy program, and I hope it does well! If you do have a mac version I'd like to give it a try :D

Second edit:
tar.gz contents don't work on OpenSUSE either, and of course, Windows 10 doesn't include Tar or gzip support. So without some basic instructions it looks like I won't be able to play ball :(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:39:39 pm by nelsonm »
~ Nelson

Offline msrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 04:05:28 pm »
Sorry for the confusion guys!
It's indeed a tar.gz file but it's for Windows only (for now). You can use 7Zip to decompress it. I'm changing it soon to a .zip file though (Windows). Previously I had a Linux binary available as well but decided to remove it since at this stage it would be quite hard to maintain both versions. But Linux and macOS releases are planned.

LICENSE file will be added too. The open source version of Qt is licensed under LGPL and you need to share the code only if you change Qt's code itself or if you link it statically to your app, which is not the case.

Regarding plans and pricing: the original idea was to have just a subscription and free plan but, thanks to your feedback, I now understand that those limits/prices won't fit some people's needs. So, yes, you can count with a "one time buy" plan (even if it's not advertised on the website yet)! I'll add more info on this during the BETA (which ends on September 1st).

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 08:12:26 pm »
Just looking at the screen shots, it looks like a glorified spreadsheet. What can this piece of software do, which can't be done with a spreadsheet and some scripting?

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 08:29:31 pm »
Just looking at the screen shots, it looks like a glorified spreadsheet. What can this piece of software do, which can't be done with a spreadsheet and some scripting?

Got a valid point there... I suppose if someone's really ambitious they could even implement the pricing in it.

It would be nice if the database was on server and what you accessed it was from clients, could hold more value for smaller companies. Expecially if you can check total stock value and assign locations etc.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 08:42:59 pm »
It seems a bit limited to me.
If I am reading correctly, the FREE version is limited to 200 parts and 200 maximum stock.
I assume that is 200 stock of each part, not 200 total.
However, still way too limited.

I am only a hobbyist.
I have over 1000 parts.
Some are whole reels of 0603 resistors etc.

I currently use the free version of an on-line service.
https://partsbox.io/

I am not affiliated with PartsBox

I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline msrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 10:09:42 pm »

As IDEs are glorified text editors for some?

For me, as a user, these are the features I value the most in BOMER *right now*:
* Being able to manage Projects (BOMs) and Orders - not just manually adjusting your stock, which avoids errors
* To know if you have enough stock when you want to assemble X units of a Project - if not, create an order automatically
* Orders with states so you know when it's pending, processed and delivered
* Get a quick estimate on orders and project's cost (total and per unit)
* History, so you have a better idea of when and how you spend/re-stock your inventory

Limits, for BETA and FREE versions, are subject to change. Thanks for sharing what's your usage, that helps!
Maximum stock is per part, not for your whole inventory (must clarify that).

Comparing BOMER to PartsBox's free version: in PartsBox you don't get BOM or Orders management, you can't attach files to parts and personally the way pricing related info is shown/handled doesn't work for me .

Your suggestions are always very welcomed. Feel free to share how you'd like to see BOMER improved, because it will :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:11:48 pm by msr »

Online LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 11:09:27 pm »
Is there some way it can load a Digikey and or Mouser order? 

Steve
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 11:29:48 pm »
How does it handle design variants?
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 02:53:37 am »
How many of you clicked on this thread because you thought it was going to be about fake potentiometers...? :o

Offline msrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 12:07:36 pm »
Quote from: LaserSteave
Is there some way it can load a Digikey and or Mouser order?

You mean importing an Order from Digikey or Mouser? There's currently no support for that.
But if you can export a cart to a CSV file then you can import it to BOMER.
The same the other way around, you can export BOMER tables to CSV and then import them on website that allow to import it.
(I understand there's room for improvement here, but usually online distributors are not very keen to make it easy to import/export/fetch data from their websites)

Quote from: Alex Eisenhut
How does it handle design variants?

Support for Variants is not ready yet, but it's coming!

Offline msrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
Re: BOMER - Parts Inventory and BOM Management
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 06:05:33 pm »
Hey!

New update just released and just to let you know that BOMER now supports multi-level (hierarchical) storage names. The same will happen to Labels in a future update.
Feedback is greatly appreciated!

http://bomer.co/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:07:31 pm by msr »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf